City Open Days
Register for an Open day, look around our campuses and speak with our staff and students to answer any questions you may have.
With cutting-edge facilities in the heart of London, we are among the oldest providers of Engineering education in the country, where new research discoveries continue to transform and improve the world around us.
Engineering education and research has been a part of City for more than 100 years, and our work has made a major impact on engineering systems on land, sea, and in the air.
Today, in the heart of London, the department is renowned for its sector-leading facilities, which give our students hands-on experience with industrial technology. These facilities include newly upgraded wind tunnels, flight deck and motion simulators, a geotechnical centrifuge, optical compressors and high performance computers.
Our highly rated courses help students to develop the technical expertise, strategic thinking, innovation and communication skills needed to go on and build successful careers in a diverse range of Engineering fields.
The department has strong links with industry (local, national and global), maintaining partnerships through research projects and student placements, and accrediting bodies have commended how closely we involve industry in our courses.
The department offers a range of courses at undergraduate, postgraduate taught and research degree level. We also support several foundation degree courses.
See which course is right for you:
- BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical and Design Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Mechanical and Design Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Engineering Systems
- MEng (Hons) Engineering Systems
- BEng (Hons) Energy and Sustainability Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Energy and Sustainability Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Civil and Infrastructure Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Civil and Infrastructure Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Biomedical and Healthcare Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Biomedical and Healthcare Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Engineering with Business
- MEng (Hons) Engineering with Business.
- Civil Engineering Foundation Programme
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Biomedical Engineering Foundation Programme
- Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Foundation Programmes.
- MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering
- MSc Air Safety Management
- MSc Air Transport Management
- MSc Aircraft Maintenance Management
- MSc Airport Management
- MSc Biomedical Engineering with Data Analytics
- MSc Civil Engineering Structures
- MSc Construction Management
- MSc Energy and Environmental Technology and Economics
- MSc Maritime Operations and Management
- MSc Maritime Safety and Security Management
- MSc Project Management, Finance and Risk
- MSc Renewable Energy and Power Systems Management
- MSc Robotics, AI and Autonomous Systems
- MSc Temporary Works and Construction Method Engineering.
- PhD/MPhil Civil Engineering
- PhD/MPhil Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- PhD/MPhil Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautics.
The Department of Engineering incorporates a range of world-leading research centres, where new discoveries deliver a positive and sustainable impact on society.
Our world-renowned academics are developing advanced technologies and expertise in areas such as biomedical engineering, energy harvesting, renewable energy, machine learning/AI, complex engineering structures, and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV).
Learn more about the work of our research centres:
- Aeronautics and Aerospace Research Centre
- Centre of Excellence in Temporary Works and Construction Method Engineering
- Research Centre for Biomedical Engineering
- Research Centre for Sustainable and Resilient Civil Engineering
- Research Centre for Photonics and Instrumentation
- Systems, Autonomy and Control Research Centre
- Thermo-Fluids Research Centre
- Dr Jafar Al-Zaili, Lecturer in Power and Propulsion
- Dr Sathiskumar Anusuya Ponnusami, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Nabil Aouf, Professor of Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- Dr Dimitra Apostolopoulou, Lecturer
- Professor Ashraf Ayoub, Associate Dean (Corporate Partnerships)
- Miguel Bravo Haro, Lecturer in Sustainable Civil Engineering Structures
- Professor Christoph Bruecker, Sir Richard Olver BAE Systems Chair in Aeronautical Engineering
- Dr Francisco Cabrera, Marie Curie Post-Doc Research Fellow
- Professor John Carlton, Professor of Marine Engineering
- Professor Thomas Chen, Professor of Cyber Security
- Dr Chak Cheung, Visiting Lecturer
- Professor Cedric D'Mello, Professor of Structural Engineering
- Dr Sam Divall, Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering
- Dr Tala El Samad, Lecturer
- Emre Eroktem, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Joana Fonseca, Senior Lecturer In Geotechnical Engineering
- Professor Martin Fry, Visiting Professor
- Dr Feng Fu, Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering
- Professor Manolis Gavaises, Director, International Institute for Cavitation Research and Thermo-Fluids Research Centre
- Mohsen Ghavami, Experimental research officer (thermo-fluids )
- Dr Agathoklis Giaralis, Associate Professor (Reader) in Structural Dynamics
- Professor Kenneth Grattan OBE FREng, Royal Academy of Engineering - George Daniels Professor of Scientific Instrumentation
- Dr Juan Guzman-Inigo, Lecturer in Aerospace Propulsion
- John Hoath, Lecturer in Diagnostic Radiography
- Dr Ioannis Karathanasis, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Mahmoud Khader, Visiting Lecturer
- Professor Sanowar Khan, Professor of Instrumentation and Sensors
- Professor Ahmed Kovacevic, Howden/RAEng Chair in Compressor Technology & Associate Dean, Corporate Partnerships
- Professor Panicos Kyriacou, Associate Dean (Research Excellence)
- Dr Maria Livada, Lecturer in Mechatronics (Education)
- Professor Qingwei Ma, Professor of Hydrodynamics
- Dr Marinos Manolesos, Reader in Aerospace Engineering
- Dr James May, Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering
- Dr Andrew McNamara, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Panagiotis Mergos, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Tatyana Micic, Associate Dean - PG (Education and Student Satisfaction)
- Dr Stathis Milonidis, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Nicolau Morar, Lecturer in Manufacturing and Materials
- Dr Sumsun Naher, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Jamshid M Nouri, Reader
- Dr Mohammad Omidyeganeh, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Sung Paek, Senior Lecturer in Space Engineering
- Professor Alfredo Pinelli, Professor of Fluid Simulation
- Dr Thibaud Plantegenet, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Professor Keith Robert Pullen, Honorary Professor
- Meha Qassem, Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering
- Professor Azizur Rahman, Professor of Photonics
- Professor Muttukrishnan Rajarajan, Professor of Security Engineering & Director Institute for Cyber Security
- Dr Veselin Rakocevic, Reader
- Dr Sham Rane, Research Fellow
- Dr Matthew Read, Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering
- Professor Abdulnaser Sayma, Professor of Energy Engineering, Director of the Thermo-Fluid Research Centre
- Professor Ian Smith, Professor Emeritus
- Professor Sarah Stallebrass, Professor of Soil Mechanics
- Professor Nikola Stosic, Professor
- Professor David Stupples, Professor of Electronic & Radio Engineering
- Professor Tong Sun OBE FREng, Professor of Sensor Engineering
- Professor Neil Taylor, Professor of Geotechnical Engineering
- Dr Maria Tomas-Rodriguez, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Iasonas Triantis, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Konstantinos Tsavdaridis, Professor of Structural Engineering
- Professor Kuldeep Virdi, Emeritus Professor of Structural Engineering
- Professor Shiqiang Yan, Professor of Computational Mechanics
- Dr Youyou Yan, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Hamed Yazdani Nezhad, Senior Lecturer in Aerospace Structures
- Ningbo Zhang, Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Dr Qiang Zhang, Reader
- Dr Yi Zhang, Post-Doctoral Research Associate
Our engineering labs are filled with state-of-the-art facilities for research and education. Many have been recently refurbished to provide exceptional resources for our students and academics.
Specialist facilities include wind tunnels, flight deck and motion simulators, a geotechnical centrifuge, optical compressors, a racing car simulator, and high performance computers. We have advanced laboratories for soil element testing, materials testing, concrete mixing and durability, and 3D printing, among others.
The centrepiece of the Civil Engineering Laboratory accommodates a large flexible lab space and apparatus for physical modelling of complex geotechnical problems at reduced scale and high g-force.
The supersonic wind tunnel is part of the National Wind Tunnel Facility and is equipped with state-of-the-art test equipment including advanced laser-based velocity measurement systems.
The Keysight Laboratory gives students access to advanced signal analysers, circuit fabrication facilities and high power equipment.
The Airbus A320 flight deck simulator provides a facility to undertake a variety of research programmes in areas such as avionics, flight control systems, and human factors.
The Research Centre for Biomedical Engineering laboratory is a highly specialised facility that is aimed at the development of cutting edge sensing and diagnostic as well as rehabilitation devices.
Each year mechanical engineering students use this workshop to design and build a racing car which is entered in the international Formula Student Competition at Silverstone.
City's Merlin MP520 simulator is fitted with a two-axis motion system and closed cockpit design for greater immersion and is used in the theory and study of aerodynamics and the mechanics of flight.
This is a one-of-a-kind low-turbulence wind tunnel used for the study of laminar flows. Part of the National Wind Tunnel Facility.
Modern test rig for the characterisation of micro gas turbines for electrical power output below 15kW including mapping of compressor and turbine characteristics.
2 subsonic wind tunnels, equipped with advanced laser-based velocity measurement systems and a six-component force balance for complete characterisation of the aerodynamic loads on wind-tunnel models.
Exceptionally well-equipped civil engineering materials testing laboratory; a focus for construction materials and geotechnical engineering research.