- Jeyaseelan, T., El Samad, T., Rajkumar, S., Chatterjee, A. and Al-Zaili, J. (2023). A techno-economic assessment of waste oil biodiesel blends for automotive applications in urban areas: Case of India. Energy, 271, pp. 127021–127021. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2023.127021.
- Ghavami, M., Al-Zaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2022). A methodology for techno-economic and operation strategy optimisation of micro gas turbine-based solar powered dish-engine systems. Energy, 251, pp. 123873–123873. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2022.123873.
- Danieli, P., Lazzaretto, A., Al-Zaili, J., Sayma, A., Masi, M. and Carraro, G. (2022). The potential of the natural gas grid to accommodate hydrogen as an energy vector in transition towards a fully renewable energy system. Applied Energy, 313, pp. 118843–118843. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2022.118843.
- Lanchi, M., Al-Zaili, J., Russo, V., Falchetta, M., Montecchi, M. and Aichmayer, L. (2022). A Quasi-Steady State Model of a Solar Parabolic Dish Micro Gas Turbine Demonstration Plant. Energies, 15(3), pp. 1059–1059. doi:10.3390/en15031059.
- Bekhradinasab, A., Al-Zaili, J. and Vakilipour, S. (2021). Large eddy simulation of separated flow to investigate heat transfer characteristics in an asymmetric diffuser subjected to constant wall heat flux. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 128, pp. 105634–105634. doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2021.105634.
- Khader, M.A., Ghavami, M., Al-Zaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2021). Heat Transfer Effect on Micro Gas Turbine Performance for Solar Power Applications. Energies, 14(20), pp. 6745–6745. doi:10.3390/en14206745.
- Joy, O. and Al-Zaili, J. (2021). On effectiveness of current energy policy instruments to make H2 production projects financially viable for developers: Case of the UK. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 46(65), pp. 32735–32749. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2021.07.147.
- Yang, J., Xiao, G., Ghavami, M., Al-Zaili, J., Yang, T., Sayma, A. … Ni, D. (2021). Thermodynamic modelling and real-time control strategies of solar micro gas turbine system with thermochemical energy storage. Journal of Cleaner Production, 304, pp. 127010–127010. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.127010.
- Vakilipour, S., Zarafshani, H. and Al-Zaili, J. (2021). Numerical study of longitudinal vein effects on the aerodynamic characteristics of a corrugated bio-airfoil. Computers & Fluids, 216, pp. 104821–104821. doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2020.104821.
- Richards, S.J. and Al Zaili, J. (2020). Contribution of encouraging the future use of biomethane to resolving sustainability and energy security challenges: The case of the UK. Energy for Sustainable Development, 55, pp. 48–55. doi:10.1016/j.esd.2019.12.003.
- Vakilipour, S., Tohidi, Y., Al-Zaili, J. and Riazi, R. (2020). A numerical investigation of CO2 dilution on the thermochemical characteristics of a swirl stabilized diffusion flame. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 41(2), pp. 327–348. doi:10.1007/s10483-020-2571-6.
- Iaria, D., Zhou, X., Al Zaili, J., Zhang, Q., Xiao, G. and Sayma, A. (2019). Development of a Model for Performance Analysis of a Honeycomb Thermal Energy Storage for Solar Power Microturbine Applications. Energies, 12(20), pp. 3968–3968. doi:10.3390/en12203968.
- Iaria, D., Nipkey, H., Al Zaili, J., Sayma, A. and Assadi, M. (2018). Development and Validation of a Thermo-Economic Model for Design Optimisation and Off-Design Performance Evaluation of a Pure Solar Microturbine. Energies.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Al-Zaili is a member of Turbomachinery and Energy Systems Research Group at City and the Programme Director for Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. He worked in several engineering positions as design engineer, consultant, R&D engineer and project manager prior to joining City in 2015. Since joining City, he has been involved in a number of research projects, mainly in the field of small-scale gas turbines for renewable energy applications. His current research focus is on:
- Optimisation of micro gas turbines for solar power applications including thermal energy storage, operation and control;
- Low carbon microturbine-based propulsion system for small air vehicles;
- Aero-thermal design of small turbomachines;
- Impact of the distributed generation in large cities on the level of pollution;
- Pricing and market design for distributed generation and microgrids;
- High-temperature Modular compact thermal energy storage with focus on solar applications;
- Pollution reduction for combustion of hydrogen as a carbon-free fuel;
- The dynamics between low-carbon power technologies and supporting policies.
Dr Al-Zaili teaches postgraduate modules "Gas Turbine Engineering" and "Distributed Generation" and undergraduate module "Aerodynamics and Propulsion". He also delivers teaching sessions on Bioenergy for postgraduate students.
- PhD in Aerospace Engineering - funded by EXTICE an EU FP7 project to study extreme aircraft icing conditions for both airframes and the engines. His thesis title was “Semi-Empirical Approach to Characterize Thin Water Film Behaviour in Relation to Droplet Splashing in Modelling Aircraft Icing”., Cranfield University, United Kingdom, 2012
- MSc Aerospace Propulsion, Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 2001
- BSc Mechanical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 1999
- PRINCE2® Practitioner Certificate in Project Management, AEXLOS, United Kingdom
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- Lecturer in Power and Propulsion, City, University London, Oct 2019 – present
- Research Fellow in Turbomachinery and Energy Systems, City, University London, May 2015 – Sep 2019
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy, Higher Education Academy
Arabic (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Persian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
Publications by category
- Alzaili, J., White, M. and Sayma, A. (2020). Developments in Solar Powered Micro Gas Turbines and Waste Heat Recovery Organic Rankine Cycles. New Technologies, Development and Application II (pp. 439–452). Springer International Publishing. ISBN 978-3-030-18071-3.
- Iaria, D., Alzaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2018). Solar Dish Micro Gas Turbine Technology for Distributed Power Generation. Sustainable Energy Technology and Policies (pp. 119–131). Springer Singapore. ISBN 978-981-10-7187-4.
Conference papers and proceedings (13)
- Shamekhi Amiri, S., Al-Zaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2022). Development of a Dynamic Model for Simulating the Transient Behaviour of a Solar-Powered Micro Gas Turbine. ASME Turbo Expo 2022: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 13-17 June. doi:10.1115/gt2022-79059
- Anfossi, J., Al-Zaili, J., El Samad, T. and Sayma, A. (2022). Performance Assessment of a Recuperated Turboshaft Engine: A Multifuel Case. ASME Turbo Expo 2022: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 13-17 June. doi:10.1115/gt2022-80455
- Rodriguez Aleman, E., Al-Zaili, J. and Sayma, A. (2021). Techno-Economic Analysis of Small-Scale CCHP Systems Focused on Emissions Performance. International Gas Turbine Conference 14-15 October.
- El Samad, T., Al-Zaili, J., Kamuriwo, S. and Sayma, A. (2021). A Study on the Market Potential of Biomass-Based Micro Gas Turbines in Sub-Sharan Africa. 13th International Conference on Applied Energy.
- Somehsaraei, H.N., Iaria, D., Al Zaili, J., Assadi, M., Sayma, A. and Ghavami, M. (2019). Application of Artificial Neural Networks for Monitoring and Optimum Operation Prediction of Solar Hybrid MGT Systems. ASME Turbo Expo 2019: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 17-21 June. doi:10.1115/gt2019-91180
- Al Zaili, J., Sayma, A. and Iaria, D. (2017). Reducing Levelised Cost of Energy and Environmental Impact of a Hybrid Microturbine-Based Concentrated Solar Power Plant. 2017 Global Power and Propulsion Forum 30 Oct 2017 – 1 Nov 2017.
- Ghavami, M., Alzaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2017). A Comparative Study of the Control Strategies for Pure Concentrated Solar Power Micro Gas Turbines. ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 26-30 June. doi:10.1115/gt2017-63987
- Sayma, A., Iaria, D., Khader, M. and Al Zaili, J. (2017). Multi-Objective Optimisation of A Centrifugal Compressor for a Micro Gas Turbine Operated by Concentrated Solar Power.
- Al Zaili, J. and Sayma, A. (2016). Challenges in the Development of Micro Gas Turbines for Concentrated Solar Power Systems.
- Al-Zaili, J.A. (2007). Performance Enhancement of Low Mach and Reynolds Compressible Microflow Solver. 9th US National Congress on Computational Mechanics.
- Alzaili, J. and Mazaheri, K. (2006). Bulk Viscosity Damping for Accelerating Convergence of Compressible Viscous Flow Solvers. European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics.
- Alzaili, J. and Mazaheri, K. (2002). Effect of Adaptation on Numerical Solution of Viscous Compressible Turbulent Flow. The 9th Asian Congress of Fluid Mechanics.
- Alzaili, J. and Hammond, D. Experimental Investigation of Thin Water Film Stability and Its Characteristics in SLD Icing Problem. SAE 2011 International Conference on Aircraft and Engine Icing and Ground Deicing.doi:10.4271/2011-38-0064
Journal articles (13)
- Al-Zaili, J. and Sayma, A. Modular thermal energy storage apparatus. Patent no. GB2576088
- Alzaili, J. Numerical Solution of Turbulent Compressible Flow using Unstructured Adaptive Grids. (Master's Thesis)
- Alzaili, J. Semi-Empirical Approach To Characterize Thin Water Film Behaviour In Relation To Droplet Splashing In Modelling Aircraft Icing. (PhD Thesis)
Editorial activity (3)
- Session organiser and member of Cycle Innovations since 2015
member of local liaison committee of ASME TurboExpo 2020, ASME TurboExpo.
- Special Issue in Energies: Advances in Distributed-Scale Solar Thermal Power Technology, Guest Editor.
- CAB member for International Gas Turbine Conference, Memeber of Conference Advisory board.