To gain entry to an accredited course at City, University of London you must meet the entry requirements for that course.
Requirements vary between programmes and full details are published on each of our course pages. However all entry requirements are based on similar principles.
To enter a degree course at City, you must satisfy City's general minimum requirement of passes in two subjects at GCE A-level or equivalent. We accept a wide range of equivalent qualifications to A-levels.
You must also meet the specific requirements of the course you're applying for, which may be higher than City's minimum requirements.
Finally, you must be accepted by the course admissions tutor.
When you make your application, the actual offer you receive may differ from the requirement listed on the course page. As many of our courses are very competitive, possessing the minimum requirement does not guarantee admission.
International qualification equivalences
We accept a range of international qualifications for entry. The following are City's equivalences to UK GCE A-level grades for undergraduate entry requirements.
Postgraduate master’s courses
Applicants for all postgraduate degrees should normally hold a university Honours degree or equivalent qualification in an appropriate subject.
If you don't hold an Honours degree or equivalent but you have suitable experience and/or professional qualifications, you may still be accepted for a Master's or Postgraduate Diploma at the discretion of the relevant department.
In addition, we recognise several pre-Master's programmes, in particular those provided by Kaplan International College London and INTO City, University of London.
Before registration, you will need to submit original certificates or certified copies of your relevant degrees and other qualifications.
The closing date for applications is determined by each department and may be as early as February for a course starting in September. Alternatively, some courses will not have a set closing date for applications. It is advisable to apply as early as possible as competition for places on many courses is extremely strong and they may be fully subscribed well before the closing date.
Postgraduate research courses
Before submitting a formal application to undertake a research degree at City, University of London, you are advised to explore the research interests of our academic colleagues to ensure that we can support your proposed research. This will enable you to identify potential supervisors.
You can expect to have some informal discussion about your research proposal, in particular with the member of academic staff who may be best placed to offer you supervision.
Entry requirements for research degrees are detailed on our research degree pages.
English language requirements
If you're a national of a majority English-speaking country, or have previously completed a university degree (or equivalent) in one, you will not need to prove your knowledge of English to apply for a course at City. The government provides a list of recognised majority English-speaking countries.
Otherwise, City accepts the following as minimum English requirements for entry. Some courses have increased English language requirements for entry and you should check course pages to confirm.
City cannot accept any other qualifications in addition to these:
- IELTS Academic: Minimum 5.5 in each of the test areas. The test needs to have been taken no longer than two years from the date that the CAS is generated. City, University of London is currently accepting IELTS from all test centres and not just those identified by UKVI on the SELT list
- IELTS UKVI: Minimum 5.5 in each of the test areas
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic: 59 in each area (writing, speaking listening and reading). City, University of London is currently accepting Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic only. PTE General is not currently accepted
- Trinity College (Integrated Skills): ISE11 – pass in each of the areas
- IGCSE: iGCSE English as a First Language (Syllabus 0500 & 0522) and iGCSE English as Second Language (Syllabus 0510 & 0511) - Grade B or above. You will also require an additional statement from the exam board confirming your grade breakdown in all 4 competencies
- IB: English as a first language when taken at 'Standard Level' with 5 points, or English as a second language when taken at 'Higher Level' with 5 points
- INTO City Pre-session English and English Language as part of International Foundation and International Graduate Diploma: Pass and at least 5.5 in each area of testing (for Pre-sessional students). At least 55% in each area (for Foundation and International Graduate Diploma students)
- Cambridge English Advanced (also known as Certificate in Advanced English): Minimum score of 162 or above in all areas (Level B2)
- Cambridge English Proficiency (also known as Certificate of Proficiency in English): Minimum score of 162 or above in all areas (Level B2)
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) English Language Examination: Minimum Level 3 or above
- Kaplan English language as part of foundation certificate: At least 55% in each area
- TOEFL iBT: 72 overall with no less than 17 in Writing and Listening, 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking
- LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2: B2 Communicator High Pass (Minimum Listening: 33/50; Reading: 33/50: Writing: 33/50; Speaking: 33/50)
- LanguageCert International ESOL online test: B2 Communicator Pass – combined written and oral test
- Bellerbys Academic English Skills as part of the Foundation Programme: Min 50% in all areas
- Oxford Test of English (OTE): 120 Overall with at least 111 in each component.