Course overviewEngineering with Business MEng (Hons) course overview
The Engineering with busines course takes an interdisciplinary approach to engineering and business and management to enable development of skills necessary for modern businesses globally.
Over four years, you will develop the professional engineering, management and business skills required, with a focus on core engineering and design skills, entrepreneurship innovations, strategy and business sustainability.
Individual and group projects involving design and business aspects demonstrate your expertise to future employers, whilst the fourth year, at Master’s level, helps you transition from study to professional practice.
- Students will be trained to understand and analyse the broader context in which the engineering systems are used, integrating processes and information in a holistic way, dealing with the challenges of complex engineering challenges
- Benefit from exceptional industry involvement in the degree programme, taking advantage of the London location of City, including undertaking projects set by industry and guest lectures from practising engineers
- Students will benefit form the collaboration between engineering and Bayes Business school in the delivery of the programme.
- Study in world leading research facilities where different engineering solutions are designed, developed and implemented for industry today
- Take an optional placement year or placement over two summer periods to boost your employability, building on the strengths in research and their industrial collaborations across the Department of Engineering, where engineering and business skills are put into practice to make impact to meet the needs of industry today
- Fast track your progress to Chartered Engineer status, with a degree that meets all academic requirements for professional registration.
This course is subject to approval.
You will develop a strong technical background in the key subjects which require the integration of concepts across the breadth of engineering, as well as management studies and engineering design which are also integral parts of the course. The Engineer in the Society module in each of the study year progressively develops social responsibility and other general skills required by future engineers.
Build a firm foundation in mathematics, engineering, physics, electronics and computing, with our mostly shared first year with other engineering programmes in addition to the special module of principles of interdisciplinary thinking in engineering with business.
Students will specialise in key aspects of engineering and business, where learning includes modules on project management, finance and accounting, entrepreneurship, innovations management and sensor systems, instrumentation and surveying.
Students deepen their expertise with applied modules in today’s engineering businesses including system integration, through life engineering, strategy in engineering and technology firms, supply chain management and energy policy and regulations.
Transition from academic study to professional practice with a major integrated final year design project (mentored by industry experts when possible). Further advanced modules cover product design and management, design thinking, digital business and two optional modules can be selected as well.
Download course specification:
Teaching and assessment
To be confirmed.
Fees and funding
Fees for year 2023/24
To be confirmed
To be confirmed
The fees indicated are for undergraduate entry in the 2023/ 24 academic year only. Fees for future years may be subject to an inflationary increase, which is normally 2%.
- Fee waivers are available for this course.
- Means tested support is available for 2023/24 entry.
Future finance loans
Future Finance offers students loans of between £2,500 and £40,000 to help cover tuition fees and living expenses. All students and courses are considered. All loans are subject to credit checks and approval for further details please visit our finance pages.
Some of our degrees may involve additional expenses which are not covered by your tuition fees. Find out more about additional expenses.
Career prospects are excellent and build on City’s outstanding reputation of educating engineers to degree level for a century and more. Our engineering with business graduates are equipped with the skills demanded not only for the present but the future, and we are proud of the success they enjoy at the forefront of their profession, working in the UK and across the world.
Our graduates shall get opportunities to work as a design and development engineers, engineering managers and engineering business developers. Aerospace, automotive, consumer appliances, defence, manufacturing, or renewable energy sectors are few sectors that will welcome our engineers.
If you want to become a Chartered Engineer – enjoying enhanced job prospects and earning potential – an integrated MEng offers the most direct route to achieving CEng status.
How to apply
Applications for degree courses must be made through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
This course is subject to approval.
This course is not currently open for applications. When the course opens, you can apply through your school or college using the Apply system, which enables you to submit your application directly to the UCAS website.
You can apply to up to five universities or institutions on the form. The UCAS code for City, University of London is C60.
Please take care to enter the correct course code when applying, particularly for subjects with a Foundation year or with BEng (Hons) and MEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) and MSci (Hons) options.
UCAS has implemented an 'invisibility of choices' policy so that, on the initial application and while you are receiving decisions, each institution can see only their entry and not those of other institutions you have chosen. This ensures that your application for a course at City is considered solely on your academic and personal qualities.
You should submit your completed application form to UCAS with a £26.50 application fee. If you want to apply to City, University of London only, you can make a single choice application at a reduced rate of £22.
For enquiries about the admissions process at City, please contact our Admissions Office.
Complete the Admissions enquiry form.
Call: +44 (0)20 7040 8716.
If your enquiry is about admission to a particular course, please use the contact details provided on the course page.
When to apply
Your application for entry in September 2023 should arrive at UCAS between September 2022 and 25th January 2023. Applications that arrive after 25th January 2023 will be considered only at City's discretion.
Address: Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS), Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 3LZ
- from inside the UK 0871 468 0468
- from outside the UK +44 (0)871 468 0468
For callers with hearing difficulties:
- from inside the UK use the Text Relay service on 18001 0871 468 0468
- from outside the UK dial +44 151 494 1260 (text phone) and then ask the operator to dial 0871 468 0468.
Facilities at the School of Science and Technology
Gain further insights into our courses through our students.