What we do
We provide future healthcare professionals with the education, training and skills they need in order to be employable and culturally-agile in an interconnected world.
We produce world-leading research that addresses issues of global concern and shapes policy and practice in the wider world.
We draw on our long-standing and new partnerships with world-leading universities, in order to provide global opportunities for staff, students and those who visit us.
Staff in the department of Optometry and Visual Science have strong teaching and research links and partnerships with Centres of Excellence, including:
- University of Florence, Italy.
- Calle Arcos de Jalón, Madrid, Spain.
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology and Tongji Hospital.
- University of Melbourne.
- University of Toronto.
- University of Ottawa.
- LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India.
- Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
- The OCULUS consortium involving institutions in Europe, Israel and India.
- The European Glaucoma Research Training Programme (EGRIT) which recently held a workshop for early stage researchers from Netherlands, Germany, France, UK and Finland.
- Universities and Hospitals in Ghana, Tanzania and Botswana
- Undergraduate students currently have the opportunity for a funded visit to LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India for 2 weeks to undertake clinical observations. Read about BSc Optometry student Aaron Uraon's experience of this placement.
- Optometry PhD students currently undertake research in collaboration with institutions abroad including in the Netherlands, France, Germany and Finland.
For more information
For more information on the School’s international activities, please see details on each of the School's Departments pages.
To discuss opportunities for a partnership with the School of Health & Psychological Sciences, please contact: Dr Raheelah Ahmad, Director for Global Engagement for the School of Health & Psychological Sciences.