Speed up your business's innovation by purchasing a license to exploit the results of our academic work. Academic Enterprise can help your business find available technologies for licensing and enable you to exploit a specific technology.
Innovating for industry and commerce
Companies seeking new innovations and new product development will find some of the latest cutting-edge research output and developments on this webpage.
Innovations from City have a proven track record in helping companies to develop these innovations into leading edge products and services which have made significant impact in their market sectors.
City has for many years licensed its Intellectual Property to businesses as well as creating new businesses or joint ventures to exploit innovative research and this has often gone hand in hand with collaborative research opportunities.
Our track record
In 1993 City sold its shares in a successful spin out in chemical engineering, City Technology, at the time it was the most successful spin out from any UK University and the company now owned by Honeywell continues to trade successfully.
City has built on this legacy to successfully develop new innovations for industry and commerce that are seeking new products and services to bring to the market.
Areas of expertise
City has a focus on innovations from business methods through to technology, some of the key areas include:
- Business processes, methods and software
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data visualisation
- Cyber security
- Photonics and Instrumentation
- Behavioural Economics
- Structural engineering
- Aeronautical engineering
- Low carbon energy generation and energy storage
- Pumps and compressors
- Human computer interaction design
- Electronics and medical instrumentation
- Optometry, eye health care and instruments
- Mathematical modelling and intelligent software development
- Journalism and the arts
Our success stories encompass a wide range of industry sectors
Successful spin out companies from City include:
- Heliex Power Ltd, waste heat to electricity generator sets
- Thomson Screening Solutions Ltd, child screening for vision, hearing, BMI, immunisation, health
- City Occupational Ltd, colour vision testing for pilots and other occupational requirements
- Behavioural Fusion Ltd, consultancy, training and research in behavioural economics for financial services and retail
- City Defend Ltd, developing a novel search engine for encrypted data in the cloud.
Examples of licensed technologies and innovations
- Cyber security tools – Crossword Cyber Security
- Computational fluid dynamics software – PDM Analysis
- Hollow construction pilings – Keltbray
- Tools and educational material – Midwifery Unit Network
- Screw compressor design – Whipple Superchargers
- Flywheel energy storage – Dynamic Boost
Current IP licencing and investment opportunities
Speed up your business's innovation or find new ways to expand through a licence to use the results of our academic work and Intellectual Property.