The Centre consists of experts in structure, geotechnics and hydrodynamics, dedicated to enhancing the resilience and sustainability of infrastructures and civil engineering systems.
The Centre was established in 2020 by merging three existing research centres in Civil Engineering Structure, Multi-Scale Geotechnical Engineering and Fluid-Structure interaction.
We focus on the analysis of different complex and/or special engineering structures: long-span bridges, tall buildings, nuclear structures, offshore oil/gas structure system and structures for marine renewable energy.
We explore novel solutions to geotechnical problems by linking micro-mechanics to the macro response. We aim to address some grand challenges associated with fluid-structure interaction in bio-mechanics, aeronautical, civil and marine engineering.
Sustainable and Resilient Civil Engineering website
Visit the Centre's research microsite for more information about the Centre, including areas of research, projects and related activities.
To lead research internationally in developing multi-physics, multi-scale and multi-model solutions using integrated analytical, computational and experimental approaches with the support of AI and data science for:
- enhancing resilience of infrastructure networks and of complex civil engineering systems, including underground & foundation, coastal & offshore systems, to natural and man-made hazards
- improving sustainability in design, construction, operation and decommissioning (where appropriate) of urban infrastructure and civil engineering systems
- facilitating a net-zero economy through developing innovative energy storage & generation systems, e.g. energy storage foundations, and by improving the reliability and survivability of offshore renewable energy systems.
- Professor Shiqiang Yan, Centre Director
- Professor Ashraf Ayoub
- Professor Qingwei Ma
- Professor Sarah Stallebrass
- Professor Neil Taylor
- Professor Konstantinos Daniel Tsavdaridis
- Dr Alfredo Camara
- Dr Joana Fonseca
- Dr Feng Fu
- Dr Agathoklis Giaralis
- Dr Panagiotis Mergos
- Dr Brett McKinley
- Dr Andrew McNamara
- Dr Tatyana Micic
- Dr Sam Divall