City, University of London Students’ Union is a student-led organisation, independent of the University, which exists to make sure you have the best overall experience at City both socially and academically.
As well as organising social events, the Union is actively involved in student politics, lobbying on local and national policy issues and is affiliated to the National Union of Students.
With three full time Student Officers elected by students, a team of Professional staff and the involvement of student volunteers, the Union is at the heart of activity on campus.
The Union delivers a range of services and support for students, from independent academic advice to supporting Programme Reps to enhance their course, to promoting the employability of students.
The Union also runs an online shop which sells a range of products, including ethically sourced University branded clothing, merchandise and stationary.
Societies and Student Media
The Union supports a broad range of student led clubs and societies. Activities can include anything from extracurricular academic events to talent shows. For example, if you are interested in journalism, video production or photography you are invited to join a student media group; if you are a law student then we have a host of law-based societies for you.
The Union has five different types of societies that are run by students:
- Academic: these groups exist alongside the programme offer at City, they offer a space for students to meet and network with current students, alumni and notable people from their fields through events, debates and other exciting activity
- Cultural and International: these societies are organised around specific cultural and international interests and offer students at City the opportunity to create community around specific identities and interests
- Faith: these groups are spaces for students of specific faiths to meet, organise and observe their beliefs together. Many of these groups work with City’s chaplaincy team to organise activity over the year
- Political and Campaigning: from fundraising to lobbying for change, these groups bring together students who are interested in a cause, party or issue. From socials to debates, these groups organise a range of activity to fuel your political thinking
- Special Interest: from K-Pop, to Motorsports, to running a radio station with Carrot Radio, if you have an individual hobby this is where you will find a group to enjoy it together. Our Special Interest groups form communities around common interest and goals.
There's a club or society for everyone at City and if your interest isn't covered, we'll help you set up a new club or society. Start a new society today!
City Fund - money to bring your student community to life
In 2019 the Union launched ‘The City Fund’ designed to help students build a stronger community online and in person in order to improve the student experience. No matter how big or small, the Union wants to help student ideas come to life and provide a small pot of money to fund your idea.
To apply, fill out our simple online form and check out the handy guidance on our site to walk you through the process and to make your application as strong as possible.