With an impressive community of published alumni, a thriving writing community, and strong links to the publishing industry, our short creative writing courses are all you need as an aspiring writer.
Explore our writing short courses
Our writing community
Take a writing short course with City and join our thriving writing community:
- Share your work within a safe and supportive environment
- Benefit from our strong links to the publishing industry
- Enter our termly writing competition, City Writes, and win a chance to read your work to an invited audience
- Be first to hear the latest news through our Writing Newsletter championing student successes
- Gain from our inclusive approach through our scholarship programmes for the Novel Studio and Writing for Social Impact
- Become published by contributing to our City Short Courses Blog.
Alongside our creative writing courses, we also offer a range of highly popular business writing and journalism courses, designed to develop your writing skills within a professional setting. All business copywriting and narrative non-fiction students are also eligible to submit ideas for our blog which, if accepted, will then be professionally edited and uploaded to our site.
Our writing short course alumni have gone on to publish books; win writing prizes; get signed by agents; and study further at MA or PhD level. Enrol on a City creative writing course see where it might take you. Published Alumni from our Novel Studio course.
Recent Alumni Publications
Learning with us
We know flexibility is key for our short course students. That’s why we arrange sessions in the evenings and over the weekend. Looking for something more intensive? We offer one-day workshops and summer schools too. Our courses range from beginners to advanced, so there is something for everyone.
News & Events
- City Writes Summer 2022
- How a City Short Course can help you towards your novel writing dreams
- Listen to 2022’s Novel Studio showcase and find out more about the agent-packed event
- Former Narrative Non-Fiction student and now published author, Ciaran Thiapar, is now teaching his own course to inspire young writers
- Novel Studio alumnus Laurence Kershook's journey towards The Broygus, his first published novel
- Read about Writers’ Workshop alumnus and published children’s author Michael Mann’s guest appearance