All students commencing a healthcare programme at City, University of London are required to undergo an Occupational Health check.
City, University of London is committed to equal opportunities for all. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and would be pleased to discuss this with you further.
At City, University of London we work with specialist provider OHWorks and have a dedicated Nurse working exclusively with students on a healthcare programme at City. If you would like to discuss your occupational health status in confidence, please email [email protected] or call 020 7040 5824.
New students are required to attend an Occupational Health during induction to ensure you have health clearance to attend clinical placement. Prior to this all offer holders will be issued with details of the online pre-course health screening questionnaire that must be completed prior to the commencement of the course along with the OH overview and frequently asked questions guide.
Through the information provided in the pre-course health screening questionnaire it may be deemed necessary for you to attend an appointment at City prior to the start of the course.
Students on the following programmes are required to undergo occupational health clearance at the commencement of the course:
- BSc (Hons) / PGDip Midwifery
- BSc (Hons) / MSc Nursing (all fields)
- BSc (Hons) Radiography (Diagnostic Imaging)
- BSc (Hons) Radiography (Radiotherapy & Oncology)
- BSc (Hons) / MSc in Speech and Language Therapy
Clearance forms will also require completing; these are 'an assessment on fitness to undertake study' and 'fitness for clinical placement'. You must ensure that forms must be completed promptly and that you retain a copy of all documents you submit during this process.
In preparation for the assessment for fitness to clinical placement you must have received the following vaccinations:
- Hepatitis B vaccination - this is a course of three immunisations, which can be provided upon commencement of the course. The second vaccination is given one month after the first and the third is given six months after the first.
- MMR vaccination - You are required to have documentary evidence of two MMR vaccinations. Most people will have received these in childhood. If you have not your GP should provide these to you before the commencement of the course. Your GP should not charge you for this. You will need to provide your documentation as evidence of vaccination, we cannot accept a verbal history of vaccination from you.
- Chickenpox (Varicella) - Please ask your GP whether you have had chickenpox. We require documentary evidence (if this is available) from your GP to confirm that you have had the infection. We recognise that some people will not have had chickenpox. If you do not have documentary evidence of previous infection we will take a blood test from you at the commencement of your course to confirm this before we provide you with vaccination to protect you against chickenpox
- Tuberculosis (TB) - please ask your GP to document whether you have been vaccinated with the BCG vaccine. If you have not you will require this as part of your course if skin testing indicates you have are susceptible to TB. If your GP is able to offer you skin testing (a mantoux test) and vaccination if this is required, this would be helpful, otherwise we will screen and immunise you at the commencement of your course.
- Tetanus and polio - please ask your GP to ensure you are up to date with your tetanus and polio vaccination.
Any students requiring any of the above vaccinations will be able to undertake these upon the commencement of the course.
Whilst Covid-19 vaccination is not mandatory, we strongly recommend our students to be fully vaccinated.
Some clinical placement environments may require students and staff to be vaccinated due to the vulnerability of the patients and this may limit opportunities for unvaccinated students. However, all students will be supported to complete the clinical hours required to graduate.
Please note this guide and health questionnaire link is for current enrolled students only.