- Ghavami, M., Al-Zaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2022). A methodology for techno-economic and operation strategy optimisation of micro gas turbine-based solar powered dish-engine systems. Energy, 251, pp. 123873–123873. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2022.123873.
- Khader, M.A., Ghavami, M., Al-Zaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2021). Heat Transfer Effect on Micro Gas Turbine Performance for Solar Power Applications. Energies, 14(20), pp. 6745–6745. doi:10.3390/en14206745.
- Yang, J., Xiao, G., Ghavami, M., Al-Zaili, J., Yang, T., Sayma, A. … Ni, D. (2021). Thermodynamic modelling and real-time control strategies of solar micro gas turbine system with thermochemical energy storage. Journal of Cleaner Production, 304, pp. 127010–127010. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.127010.
- Sun, S.H., Kovacevic, A., Bruecker, C., Leto, A., Singh, G. and Ghavami, M. (2018). Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Transient Flow in Roots Blower. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 425, pp. 12024–12024. doi:10.1088/1757-899x/425/1/012024.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Ghavami obtained a BSc in Mechanical Engineering from University of Tehran in 1993, MSc in Energy Conversion from University of Tabriz in 1997 and PhD from City, University of London in Mechanical engineering in 2017. His PhD was on the thermo-economic optimisation of Solar powered micro gas turbine systems as part of City’s collaboration within OMSoP research project funded by European Commission (Grant agreement ID: 308952). Following his PhD, he continued his research as a post-doctoral research fellow at City where he is mainly involved in experimental research on the thermodynamic power cycles and related technologies through several research projects including Concentrated Solar Power Micro Gas Turbine with Thermal Energy Storage (SolGATS), EPSRC funded NextORC and SCOtWoHR (EP/V001752/1). Dr Ghavami is also the deputy laser safety officer for the experimental research labs in the Engineering Department of the School of Science and Technology.
His research interests are mainly on the thermodynamic power generation cycles including open and closed loop Brayton cycles, supercritical CO2 and Organic Rankine cycles and Energy Storage technologies used for the power generation from renewable and waste heat resources. His main focus in these areas are on the system design and optimisation, system operation and control.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, City, University of London, United Kingdom, 2017
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, Energy Conversion, University of Tabriz, Iran, 1997
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of Tehran, Iran, 1993
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, City, University of London, London, United Kingdom, Oct 2018 – Nov 2020
- Experimental Research Officer, City, University of London, Feb 2018 – present
- PhD researcher, City, University of London, Jul 2013 – Nov 2017
- Research Assistant, City, University of London, Apr 2012 – May 2013
- Lecturer, Islamic Azad University, Mashhad, Feb 2003 – Feb 2012
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy, Higher Education Academy, Jun 2021
Publications by category
Conference papers and proceedings (3)
- Somehsaraei, H.N., Iaria, D., Al Zaili, J., Assadi, M., Sayma, A. and Ghavami, M. (2019). Application of Artificial Neural Networks for Monitoring and Optimum Operation Prediction of Solar Hybrid MGT Systems. ASME Turbo Expo 2019: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 17-21 June.
- Sun, S., Kovacevic, A., Bruecker, C., Ghavami, M., Rane, S., Singh, G. … Leto, A. (2018). Experimental Investigation of the Transient Flow in Roots Blower. 24th International Compressor Engineering Conference 9-12 July, Purdue University, Lafayette, IN, USA.
- Ghavami, M., Alzaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2017). A Comparative Study of the Control Strategies for Pure Concentrated Solar Power Micro Gas Turbines. ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 26-30 June.
Journal articles (4)
- Session organiser and chair for the Cycle Innovations track in ASME Turbo Expo Conference since 2020., Session organiser/chair, Oct 2020 – present.