London EC1V 0HB
Dr Tala El Samad is a member of the Turbomachinery and Energy Systems Research Group at City, and is the Programme Director for the Energy and Environmental Technology and Economics (EETE) MSc.
Dr El Samad obtained her BSc in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Balamand (Lebanon) in 2014 and an MSc in Mechanical Engineering from Masdar Institute, now Khalifa University, (UAE) in 2016, where she was also a research assistant working on new methods for enhancing biodiesel production. Funded by the Abu Dhabi Waste Management Centre, her work involved a range of research activities from experimental studies of different transesterification techniques, to numerical simulations of ultrasound assisted production, and the coordination of a social-impact project with multiple stakeholder. She was awarded a PhD in Energy from Cranfield University (UK) in 2020 for her doctoral work titled "Investigation of the Feasibility of Employing a Radial Turbine for a Utility-Scale Supercritical CO2 Power Cycle".
Her research interests are turbomachinery design, thermodynamic cycles, biofuels, and renewable power generation.
Her teaching includes Heat Transfer, Renwable Energy and Sustainability, Thermodynamics
- PhD Energy, Cranfield University, United Kingdom, Oct 2020
- MSc Mechanical Engineering, Masdar Institute (Khalifa University), United Arab Emirates, May 2016
- BSc Mechanical Engineering, University of Balamand, Lebanon, Jun 2014
- Lecturer in Thermo-Fluids for Energy Systems, City, University of London, Jan 2022 – present
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, City, University of London, Jun 2020 – Jan 2022
- Research Assistant, Cranfield University, Jun – Sep 2019
- Research Assistant, Masdar Institute, Sep 2014 – Jun 2016
Arabic (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Spanish - Latin American (can understand spoken).