- El Samad, T., Amaral Teixeira, J. and Oakey, J. (2020). Investigation of a Radial Turbine Design for a Utility-Scale Supercritical CO2 Power Cycle. Applied Sciences, 10(12), pp. 4168–4168. doi:10.3390/app10124168.
- Alsamad, T., Almazrouei, M., Hussain, M.N. and Janajreh, I. (2018). Modeling of Thermochemical Conversion of Glycerol: Pyrolysis and H2O and CO2 Gasification. Waste and Biomass Valorization, 9(12), pp. 2361–2371. doi:10.1007/s12649-018-0306-x.
- Almazrouei, M., Samad, T.E. and Janajreh, I. (2017). Thermogravimetric Kinetics and High Fidelity Analysis of Crude Glycerol. Energy Procedia, 142, pp. 1699–1705. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2017.12.552.
- Hussain, M.N., El Samad, T. and Janajreh, I. (2017). Physical and Chemical Analysis of Ultrasonic Transesterification through Numerical Simulation. Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, 11, pp. 245–252.
- Janajreh, I., ElSamad, T. and Noorul Hussain, M. (2017). Intensification of transesterification via sonication numerical simulation and sensitivity study. Applied Energy, 185, pp. 2151–2159. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.02.002.
- Hussain, M.N., Samad, T.A. and Janajreh, I. (2016). Economic feasibility of biodiesel production from waste cooking oil in the UAE. Sustainable Cities and Society, 26, pp. 217–226. doi:10.1016/j.scs.2016.06.010.
- (2016). Numerical Modelling of Sonicated, Continuous Transesterification and Evaluation of Reaction Kinetics for Optimizing Biodiesel Reactor Design. International Journal of Thermal and Environmental Engineering, 11(1). doi:10.5383/ijtee.11.01.012.
- Janajreh, I., ElSamad, T., AlJaberi, A. and Diouri, M. (2015). Transesterification of Waste Cooking Oil: Kinetic Study and Reactive Flow Analysis. Energy Procedia, 75, pp. 547–553. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2015.07.451.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Tala El Samad is a member of the Turbomachinery and Energy Systems Research Group at City, and is the Programme Director for the Energy and Environmental Technology and Economics (EETE) MSc.
Dr El Samad obtained her BSc in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Balamand (Lebanon) in 2014 and an MSc in Mechanical Engineering from Masdar Institute, now Khalifa University, (UAE) in 2016, where she was also a research assistant working on new methods for enhancing biodiesel production. Funded by the Abu Dhabi Waste Management Centre, her work involved a range of research activities from experimental studies of different transesterification techniques, to numerical simulations of ultrasound assisted production, and the coordination of a social-impact project with multiple stakeholder. She was awarded a PhD in Energy from Cranfield University (UK) in 2020 for her doctoral work titled "Investigation of the Feasibility of Employing a Radial Turbine for a Utility-Scale Supercritical CO2 Power Cycle".
Her research interests are turbomachinery design, thermodynamic cycles, biofuels, and renewable power generation.
Her teaching includes Heat Transfer, Renwable Energy and Sustainability, Thermodynamics
- PhD Energy, Cranfield University, United Kingdom, Oct 2020
- MSc Mechanical Engineering, Masdar Institute (Khalifa University), United Arab Emirates, May 2016
- BSc Mechanical Engineering, University of Balamand, Lebanon, Jun 2014
- Lecturer in Thermo-Fluids for Energy Systems, City, University of London, Jan 2022 – present
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, City, University of London, Jun 2020 – Jan 2022
- Research Assistant, Cranfield University, Jun – Sep 2019
- Research Assistant, Masdar Institute, Sep 2014 – Jun 2016
Arabic (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Spanish - Latin American (can understand spoken).
Publications by category
Conference papers and proceedings (10)
- Anfossi, J., Al-Zaili, J., El Samad, T. and Sayma, A. (2022). Performance Assessment of a Recuperated Turboshaft Engine: A Multifuel Case. ASME Turbo Expo 2022: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 13-17 June. doi:10.1115/gt2022-80455
- El Samad, T., Al-Zaili, J., Kamuriwo, S. and Sayma, A. (2021). A Study on the Market Potential of Biomass-Based Micro Gas Turbines in Sub-Sharan Africa. 13th International Conference on Applied Energy.
- El Samad, T., Oakey, J. and Amaral Teixeira, J. (2019). Aerodynamic Assessment of a Radial Turbine Design for an Advanced Oxy-Fired Supercritical CO2 Power Cycle. 10th International Charles Parsons Turbine Conference.
- El Samad, T., Mazoni, L., Almazrouei, M. and Janajreh, I. (2017). Assessment of Thermochemical Conversion of Glycerol: Pyrolysis vs Steam and CO2 Moderation. 5th International Conference on Sustainable Solid Waste Management.
- El Samad, T., Hussain, M. and Janajreh, I. (2016). Numerical Simulation of Solar Assisted Gasification for Glycerol Byproduct. Graduate Student Research Conference 28 April, UAE.
- El Samad, T., Hussain, M. and Janajreh, I. (2015). Assisted Sonication vs Conventional Transesterification. Emirati Chemical Society Annual Workshop 28 May, UAE.
- Janajreh, I., El Samad, T. and Hussain, M. (2015). Numerical Simulation of Transesterification. International Conference on Industrial Waste and Wastewater Treatment and Valorization (IWWATV 2015) 21-23 May, Greece.
- Janajreh, I., Hussain, M. and El Samad, T. (2015). Assisted Sonication vs Conventional Transesterification Numerical Simulation and Sensitivity Study. International Conference on Advanced Materials (ICAM 2015) 27-29 April, Jordan.
- El Samad, T., Hussain, M. and Janajreh, I. (2015). Numerical Simulation of Transesterification. Graduate Student Research Conference 22-24 March, UAE.
- Ali, M., AlShehhi, A., Christopoulou, P. and El Samad, T. (2015). Performance and Exergy Analysis of Turbine-Burner and Afterburner Gas-Turbine Engines. Graduate Student Research Conference 22-24 March, UAE.
Journal articles (8)
- Janajreh, I., Noorul Hussain, M., El Samad, T. and Ataya, F. (2017). Continuous Sono-Chemical Reactors and Methods of using the same. Patent no. US 10,786,801 B2