We are proud of the quality of our education, research and enterprise.
City is a truly global institution with students, staff and researchers from around the world. We are 36th in the world for International Outlook according to Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2020.
Our students and alumni
We have over 20,000 students and an extremely diverse student population. About 60% of our students are from the UK, 11% from the EU and almost 30% from around the world.
- Around 3,500 students start undergraduate studies each year
- 12th most competition for places in the UK, Times Higher Education 2021
- 12th most non-EU students in the UK, Times Higher Education 2021
- 27th – most EU students, Times Higher Education 2021
- 40th – most applications, Times Higher Education 2021
- More than 145,000 former students from over 180 countries are members of the City Alumni Network.
Research Excellence Framework (REF)
The results of Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, published by Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) (now UK Research and Innovation) in December 2014, found:
- 75.7% of City research rated as world leading 4* (23.3%) and internationally excellent 3* (52.4%) quality (based on City's submission to the REF)
- A marked increase in research quality compared to the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) when 51% of research at City was rated as 4* (15%) and 3* (36%)
- 40% of City research staff rated as excellent (eligible academy staff producing 4* and 3* research), vs 25% in RAE2008
- Excellence across City Schools, with ratings of 4* or 3* for more than 50% of research in each of the 12 Units of Assessment where City submitted
- City's performance now puts it at 50th of the 154 institutions reviewed.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
High-quality teaching doesn’t stop at school. High-quality learning and teaching is an integral part of what we do.
At City, University of London we take the responsibility of delivering high-quality teaching seriously and recognise that it is important to our students.
This has become even more important to the sector with the introduction of the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), for which City has received a Silver award.