- Virdi, K. and Azzi, W. (2010). BEHAVIOUR OF PARALLEL GIRDERS STABILISED WITH U‐FRAMES. JOURNAL OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT, 16(2), pp. 197–202. doi:10.3846/jcem.2010.21.
- Virdi, K.S. (2006). Finite difference method for nonlinear analysis of structures. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 62(11), pp. 1210–1218. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.06.015.
- Virdi, K. and Moran, J. (2005). Computer-assisted teaching of the design of steel structures. Structural Engineer, 83(21), pp. 16–19.
- Leijten, A.J.M. and Virdi, K.S. (1996). Translation and rotation behaviour of prestressed moment timber joints. Journal of the Institute of Wood Science, 14(2), pp. 89–94.
- Iyengunmwena, M.A. and Virdi, K.S. (1996). Comparative study of end reactions in RC beams subjected to impact and blast loads using analytical and numerical techniques. Structural engineering review, 8(2-3), pp. 277–291.
- Beshara, F.B.A. and Virdi, K.S. (1992). Prediction of dynamic response of blast-loaded reinforced concrete structures. Computers & Structures, 44(1-2), pp. 297–313. doi:10.1016/0045-7949(92)90249-y.
- Beshara, F.B.A. and Virdi, K.S. (1991). Non-linear finite element dynamic analysis of two-dimensional concrete structures. Computers & Structures, 41(6), pp. 1281–1294. doi:10.1016/0045-7949(91)90265-n.
- Beshara, F.B.A. and Virdi, K.S. (1991). Time integration procedures for finite element analysis of blast-resistant reinforced concrete structures. Computers & Structures, 40(5), pp. 1105–1123. doi:10.1016/0045-7949(91)90383-w.
- Virdi, K.S. (1981). Design of circular and rectangular hollow section columns. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 1(4), pp. 35–45. doi:10.1016/0143-974x(81)90022-5.
- VIRDI, K.W., WOO, Y.S., SCHMIDT, L.C. and STEVENS, L.K. (1981). TESTS ON PUSHOUT SPECIMENS WITH CAVITIES AT THE BASE OF THECONNECTOR (NOTE 1) - AWRA REPORT P6-30-80. AUST WELD RES, V 10.
- Virdi, K.S. (1977). NEW TECHNIQUE FOR MOMENT-THRUST-CURVATURE CALCULATIONS FOR COLUMNS IN BIAXIAL BENDING. pp. 307–313.
- VIRDI, K.S. and DOWLING, P.J. (1976). THE ULTIMATE STRENGTH OF BIAXIALLY RESTRAINED COLUMNS. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 61(1), pp. 41–58. doi:10.1680/iicep.1976.3502.
- VIRDI, K.S. and DOWLING, P.J. (1973). THE ULTIMATE STRENGTH OF COMPOSITE COLUMNS IN BIAXIAL BENDING. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 55(1), pp. 251–272. doi:10.1680/iicep.1973.4958.
London EC1V 0HB
- PhD, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, Sep 1970 – Nov 1973
- ME, University of Roorkee,, India, Sep 1966 – Apr 1970
- BTech, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India, Jul 1961 – Dec 1964
- BSc, Agra University, India, Jul 1959 – Apr 1961
- Professor Emeritus of Structural Engineering, City, University London, Jun 2009 – present
- Professor of Structural Engineering, Aarhus University, Jun 2008 – Dec 2014
- Associate Dean, Postgraduate Programmes, City, University London, Aug 2003 – Jun 2008
- Professor of Structural Engineering, City, University London, Oct 1988 – May 2009
- Reader, City, University London, Oct 1983 – Mar 1988
- Lecturer, City, University London, Mar 1979 – Sep 1983
- Lecturer, University of Melbourne, Sep 1976 – Feb 1979
- Research Fellow, Imperial College London, Nov 1975 – Jun 1976
- Institution of Structural Engineers, Oct 2016 – present
- Institution of Civil Engineers, Oct 2016 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, 2000 – present
- Member, International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering, Zürich, 1977 – present
- Chartered Engineer, 1975 – present
- University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy, Sofia, Bulgaria (2003) Doctor honoris causa
for “scientific achievements” in the field of structural engineering
- Association of Building Engineers (2002) Fire Safety Award
for “outstanding service and valuable contribution to fire safety through research in the field of fire engineering and its application”
- City, University of London (2001) Distinguished Contributions to Teaching and Learning
- Technical University of Brno, Czech Republic (1999) Gold Medal
- Royal Society for Arts and Sciences in Göteborg, Sweden (1999) Elected as "Foreign Member"
One of only ten international members covering all disciplines.
- y of Civil Engineering at the Czech Technical University, Prague, Czech Republic (1996) Awarded title "CTU Visiting Professor"
Danish (can read and understand spoken), French (can read), German (can read and understand spoken), Hindi (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Panjabi; Punjabi (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
EU project STABFI (Steel cladding systems for stabilization of steel buildings in fire), funded by Research Fund for Coal & Steel (2017-20).
Publications by category
- Virdi, and Tenhunen, L. (Eds.), (2014). Proceedings of the METNET Seminar 2014 in Moscow. Hämeenlinna, Finland: HAMK University of Applied Sciences. ISBN 978-951-784-694-3.
- Virdi, (Ed.), (2014). Proceedings of the METNET Seminar 2013 in Luleå. Hämeenlinna, Finland: HAMK University of Applied Sciences. ISBN 978-951-784-642-4.
- Virdi, and Tenhunen, L. (Eds.), (2012). Proceedings of the METNET Seminar 2012 in Izmir. Hämeenlinna, Finland: HAMK University of Applied Sciences. ISBN 978-951-784-593-9.
- Virdi, K. and Tenhunen, L. (Eds.), (2011). 978-951-784-555-5. Hämeenlinna, Finland: HAMK University of Applied Sciences. ISBN 978-951-784-556-4.
- Practice Management. In Routledge.
Conference papers and proceedings (2)
- Gilmour, J.R. and Virdi, K.S. (1998). Numerical modelling of the progressive collapse of framed structures as a result of impact or explosion.
- Virdi, K.S. and Dowling, P.J. (1983). HOLLOW CORE CONCRETE STEEL TUBULAR COLUMNS.