Mechanical engineering involves designing and producing machines of all kinds, and it continues to have a huge impact on the world around us.
It was one of the first disciplines established here in 1894, and we have had a major influence on engineering systems on land, sea, in the air and in outer space for well over a century.
We have close and long-established links with industry locally, nationally and globally, providing opportunities for placements and potential careers.
Our degrees are accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and will teach you a high level of numeracy and computer literacy, to open up a range of career opportunities in engineering and other fields such as finance and management.
How to become a mechanical engineer
Mechanical engineers work across all aspects of design and building, from road and rail transports to telecommunications, manufacturing to aeronautics.
How to become an aeronautical engineer
Discover what it takes to become an aeronautical engineer and what to expect in your day-to-day working life.
Each year mechanical engineering students use this workshop to design and build a racing car which is entered in the international Formula Student Competition at Silverstone.
Equipped with the latest interactive AV systems and modern IT laboratories which are updated annually.
Ada Lovelace Room is a study and collaborative space for School of Science & Technology students and staff.
Mechanical Engineering courses benefit from recently redeveloped facilities with modern teaching lecture theatres.
The A320 cockpit flight simulator is a dynamic virtual learning environment, that provides more procedure trainer information and enhancing safety and efficiency to our student engineers.
The Engineering labs are equipped with state-of-the-art wind tunnels and our department continues a longstanding tradition in aeronautics.
- Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Foundation course
- Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons) Undergraduate degree
- Mechanical Engineering MEng (Hons) Undergraduate degree
- Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautics PhD/MPhil Postgraduate research degree
- Mechanical and Design Engineering BEng (Hons) Undergraduate degree
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering MSc Postgraduate taught degree
- Mechanical and Design Engineering MEng (Hons) Undergraduate degree
- Maritime Operations and Management MSc Postgraduate taught degree
- Maritime Safety and Security Management MSc Postgraduate taught degree
- Energy and Environmental Technology and Economics MSc Postgraduate taught degree