City Doctoral College supports a research culture of discovery and enterprise to ensure that your time at City is positive and inspiring.
Why choose City, University of London?
We have been involved in pioneering research for more than 100 years and continue to develop new areas of national and international importance.
Over 30 per cent of our students are studying at postgraduate level, creating a community of around 3,000 postgraduates that includes over 750 doctoral researchers.
You will become part of a university community that is passionate about developing world-leading research, committed to academic excellence, focused on business and the professions, and dedicated to providing extensive support for doctoral researchers.
We offer a variety of research programmes across our six Schools and a research training environment for you to develop your skills and knowledge as well as to prepare for your career after your PhD.
Our programmes encourage creativity, critical reflection, conceptual development, professional competence, judgement and confidence.
Opportunities for collaborative research
Much of our research is shaped for and supported by business, industry, and professions with excellent opportunities for collaborative work. Many of our doctoral researchers are supported by grants from industry or the Research Councils.
An international outlook
City has a highly international outlook, with over 30 per cent of our students coming from outside the UK, drawn from more than 160 countries.
Our research programmes are supported by European, US, Chinese and Japanese partners in business, industry and professions. City researchers collaborate on research projects with academics from universities around the world.
Central London location
City's location in central London puts you at the heart of business, finance, the creative industries, law and government.
The institution is minutes away from the Square Mile - London's world-famous financial district - where you will find the headquarters of financial and professional institutions, major arts complexes and media offices, teaching hospitals and specialist medical research centres.
Researchers in London contribute to and benefit from an amazing community encompassing world-renowned experts, specialist facilities, libraries, archives, and institutions.
Our Research Excellence
City's researchers produce world leading and internationally excellent research, as measured by the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Data published by HEFCE during the last iteration in 2021 showed that 86 per cent of City's submission to the REF was rated as being world-leading, (40 per cent = 4*) or internationally excellent (46 per cent = 3*).
A supportive environment
We encourage a community and culture of discovery and enterprise and provide a range of ways to support you as a research student and ensure that your time at City is positive and inspiring.
- We provide a comprehensive suite of development opportunities for research students, including induction days, Researchers' Development Days, seminars, and opportunities to present your research and develop your research skills.
- We are members of the Bloomsbury Postgraduate Skills Network which gives you access to a range of training and development opportunities provided by our network partners.
- We provide an extensive range of online training opportunities via our dedicated LinkedIn Learning environment.
- Our Research and Enterprise team can help you take advantage of opportunities for knowledge and technology transfer arising from your research and develop broader enterprise skills.
- Our Accommodation Service will help you find somewhere to live. We have special accommodation for postgraduate students.
Find out more about our services for Students.