The School of Health Sciences at City, University of London, is a world-leading centre for healthcare education and applied healthcare research.
Based in central London, the School offers state-of-the-art clinical skills facilities, academic excellence and a diverse student body - from those taking their first steps in healthcare to practitioners with many years' experience in their field - to create an exciting and innovative learning environment.
How the School of Health Sciences is responding to Covid-19
Our priority is to ensure the safety of our community whilst continuing to provide students with a high-quality learning experience. In addition to following UK Government and Public Health England guidance we have introduced several protective measures and taken the following actions:
- We have reviewed and updated our processes and practices to make environments more Covid-secure with signage, protective screens, enhanced cleaning schedules, ventilation checks, and regular risk assessments conducted in all areas of the School where students, staff and service users interact.
- We recognise how important it is for healthcare students to have the opportunity to undertake practical face-to-face sessions and we are committed to delivering these in secure environments. This includes, delivering classes to smaller group sizes to facilitate social distancing.
- We pride ourselves on providing our students with access to the latest, high-quality equipment relevant to their discipline. Over the period of the pandemic we have invested in a significant amount of additional equipment to facilitate more Covid-secure group sessions.
- Where required, we provide students, staff and service users with PPE in order to ensure they can carry out their educational activities safely
- To complement our in-person activities we are utilising the latest technologies to provide our students with a high quality online educational experience.
- Work-based placements are a key part of many of our programmes; these are continuing, and we are working closely with our in-house occupational health service and placement partners to ensure the safety of our students.
The pandemic has highlighted the importance of healthcare education, and we proud to be educating the next generation of professionals who will help and support us through this crisis and beyond it.
Tutor and students in full PPE during a blood pressure measurement lecture.
Reception desk with protective screens at CitySight.
An eye-examination being performed on a CitySight patient.
We are consistently ranked as one of the best providers in London
- 1st in London for student satisfaction in Nursing, for two consecutive years (Complete University Guide 2020 and 2021)
- 1st in London for Medical Technology, including Radiography, for three consecutive years (Complete University Guide 2019, 2020 and 2021)
- 1st in London for student satisfaction in Medical Technology, including Radiography (Complete University Guide 2021)
- 2nd in London for Nursing (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021)
- 2nd in London for Radiography (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021)
- 2nd in London for subjects allied to medicine (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021)
- 2nd in UK for student satisfaction in Aural and Oral Sciences, including Speech and Language Therapy (Complete University Guide 2021)
- 2nd in UK for student satisfaction in Optometry, Ophthalmology and Orthoptics (Complete University
Our high NSS score reflect our dedication to the success of our students
- 2nd in the UK for overall student satisfaction in Medical Technology, including Radiography (NSS 2020)
- 95% overall student satisfaction in Medical Technology, including Radiography (NSS 2020)
- 94% overall student satisfaction in Optometry (NSS 2020)
- 93% overall student satisfaction for Midwifery (NSS 2020)
Health Science courses
The School offers a range of Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Research Degrees as well as Continuing Personal and Professional Development and short courses in the fields of:
- Health Management and Policy
- Health Studies
- Long term care and conditions
- Nursing (Adult, Child and Mental Health)
- Public Health
- Speech, Language and Communication Science.
Study Health Sciences with us
School of Health Sciences Divisions
The School of Health Sciences teaching and research is divided into five Divisions.
Find out more about teaching, research and academic staff in each Division.
Partnering with London and the South-East's leading healthcare providers
Our long-standing strategic partnerships with NHS London, NHS Trusts and associated professional bodies gives our students placement experience with some of London and the South-East's leading healthcare providers.
Our students get to work with diverse populations, illnesses and treatments in prestigious settings including St Bartholomew's, Royal London and Great Ormond Street hospitals.
Engaging in research that influences practice and policy
We are actively engaged in internationally recognised research that has a direct impact on the provision of healthcare services today and in the future.
Our aim is to build on research excellence that informs and improves learning, practice and policy.
The results of the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) bear testament to the quality and commitment of our staff and students.
For research power the School was ranked 1st in London and 9th in the UK for Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health for research strength.
Research centres and groups
City research centres influence, inspire and produce world-leading research in a wide range of subject areas and disciplines, such as data science, food policy and cybersecurity.
Research impact case studies
Discover the impact of our research case studies and how we help solve real-world problems, inspire change and reduce or prevent harm and other negative effects to society.
Driving your professional development
Lifelong learning is a fundamental part of the School's ethos and many students return to us to continue their professional development throughout their career.
Our Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD) portfolio delivers a wide range of courses that benefit both employers and individuals by tailoring activity that fits around personal and professional commitments.
We offer a wide range of day courses, modules and bespoke projects to develop clinical skills, broaden knowledge in academic and practical areas, and allow practitioners to move into health research.
We also provide opportunities for healthcare professionals to diversify into leadership and health service management.