The City Health Economics Centre (CHEC) aims to develop and apply new quantitative research methods to inform policies in health and health care.
Research at CHEC has a strong basis in the discipline of economics and is informed by theoretical and empirical developments in microeconomics and econometrics applied to health and health care.
CHEC has well established links with the Office of Health Economics (OHE) in terms of joint grant applications, research collaborations and enterprise opportunities.
CHEC organises a monthly seminar series where staff members based at City, University of London and researchers from other academic and non-academic organisationsfrom inside and outside City, University of London present their latest research.
In addition CHEC organises the seminars of the London Health Economics Group (LHEG), a research forum for health economists across London to present and discuss works in progress and ideas.
Researchers and academic staff at CHEC have produced high quality research work on a wide range of health economics topics. We have received research grants from MacMillan Cancer Support, The Health Foundation and NIHR.
Our current research programme includes the following main themes:
- Analysis of the National Health Service in England
- The impact of the recession on health outcomes and wellbeing
- Health outcomes measurement and valuation
- Adaptation to health states
- Inequalities in childhood vaccination and childhood obesity
- Health technology adoption and diffusion
- Pharmaceutical R&D and competition
- Economic evaluation of cancer treatments
- Health behaviours and lifestyle decision making
- Domestic violence and health outcomes
- Maternal working patterns and children’s wellbeing
- Willingness to Pay for health insurance schemes in Low and Middle Income Countries (LMICs)
- Effects of health care reforms in developed and LMICs
- Eating disorders, mental and labour outcome.
- Dr Victoria Serra-Sastre
- Dr Kyriaki Giorgakoudi
- Prof. Mireia Jofre-Bonet
- Dr Ioannis Laliotis
- Dr Edward Pinchbeck
- Dr Charitini Stavropoulou
- Dr Agne Suziedelyte