- Serra-Sastre, V., Bianchi, S., Mestre-Ferrandiz, J. and O’Neill, P. (2021). Does NICE influence the adoption and uptake of generics in the UK? The European Journal of Health Economics, 22(2), pp. 229–242. doi:10.1007/s10198-020-01245-1.
- DeVolder, R., Serra-Sastre, V. and Zamora, B. (2020). Examining the variation across acute trusts in patient delayed discharge. Health Policy, 124(11), pp. 1226–1232. doi:10.1016/j.healthpol.2020.06.017.
- Camilleri, C., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2018). The suitability of a DRG casemix system in the Maltese hospital setting. Health Policy, 122(11), pp. 1183–1189. doi:10.1016/j.healthpol.2018.08.002.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Serra-Sastre, V. and Vandoros, S. (2018). The impact of the Great Recession on health-related risk factors, behaviour and outcomes in England. Social Science & Medicine, 197, pp. 213–225. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.12.010.
- Cubí‐Mollá, P., Jofre‐Bonet, M. and Serra‐Sastre, V. (2017). Adaptation to health states: Sick yet better off? Health Economics, 26(12), pp. 1826–1843. doi:10.1002/hec.3509.
- Clarke, C.S., Hunter, R.M., Shemilt, I. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2017). Multi-arm Cost-Effectiveness Analysis (CEA) comparing different durations of adjuvant trastuzumab in early breast cancer, from the English NHS payer perspective. PLOS ONE, 12(3). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0172731.
- Serra-Sastre, V. and McGuire, A. (2013). Information and diffusion of new prescription drugs. Applied Economics, 45(15), pp. 2049–2057. doi:10.1080/00036846.2011.648321.
- Costa-Font, J., Mcguire, A. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2012). The "Weisbrod Quadrilemma" revisited: Insurance incentives on new health technologies. Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance: Issues and Practice, 37(4), pp. 678–695. doi:10.1057/gpp.2012.37.
- Serra-Sastre, V., Saka, O., Samyshkin, Y., McGuire, A.J. and Wolfe, C. (2008). Cost-effectiveness of stroke unit care followed by early supported discharge. Stroke (Journal of the American Heart Association).
- McGuire, A.J. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2005). The Cost of Care. Is There an Optimal Level of Expenditure? Harvard International Review, 27(1).
London EC1V 0HB
My main research interests are health economics and applied microeconometrics. My research focuses on technology diffusion of health care technologies, in particular looking at the impact of technology on health outcomes, hospital performance and changes in workforce composition. I also work on issues related to staff retention in the NHS and efficiency, adaptation to health states and reporting of subjective health measures and generic competition. I am a Research Fellow at the Department of Health Policy (LSE), doing research on the uptake and diffusion of medical technologies, the substitution/complementarity across technologies as well as other research projects in the area of hospital competition and workforce.
- PhD Health Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, United Kingdom
Modules I teach or taught in the past are:
ECM304 Quantitative Methods (Health)
ECM165 Health Economics
EC3020 Topics in Health Economics
EC3017 Applied Econometrics
ECM210 Advanced Economic Evaluation
I have also been the coordinator of EC3009 Economics Projects for UG dissertation and I supervise a number of MSc dissertations every year.
Publications by category
- McGuire, A., Serra-Sastre, V. and Raikou, M. (2012). How are rising health care expenditures explained? In McGuire, A. and Costa-font, J. (Eds.), The Lse Companion to Health Policy UK: Edward Elgar. ISBN 978-1-78100-423-4.
- Serra-Sastre, V. and McGuire, A. (2012). Technology diffusion in health care: conceptual aspects and evidence. In McGuire, A. and Costa-font, J. (Eds.), The Lse Companion to Health Policy UK: Edward Elgar. ISBN 978-1-78100-423-4.
- Serra-Sastre, V. and McGuire, A. (2012). Technology diffusion and substitution of medical innovations. In Bolin, K. and Kaestner, R. (Eds.), The Economics of Medical Technology Emerald Group Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78190-129-8.
- McGuire, A. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2009). What do we know about the role of health care technology in driving health care expenditure growth? In Costa-Font, J., Courbage, C. and McGuire, A. (Eds.), The Economics of New Health Technologies Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN 978-0-19-955068-5.
- Serra-Sastre, V. and McGuire, A. (2009). Diffusion of Health Technologies: evidence from the Pharmaceutical Sector. In Costa-Font, J., Courbage, C. and McGuire, A. (Eds.), The Economics of New Health Technologies Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN 978-0-19-955068-5.
- Gemmill, M., Serra-Sastre, V. and Costa-Font, J. (2009). Health Insurance and the Uptake of New Drugs in the United States. In Costa-Font, J., Courbage, C. and McGuire, A. (Eds.), The Economics of New Health Technologies Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN 978-0-19-955068-5.
Journal articles (10)
Working papers (3)
- Maynou, L., McGuire, A. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2019). Exploring the Impact of New Medical Technology on Workforce Planning. London, UK: City, University of London.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Rossello-Roig, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2016). The Blow of Domestic Violence on Children's Health Outcomes. London, UK: Department of Economics, City University London.
- McGuire, A.J., Raikou, M., Windmeijer, F. and Serra-Sastre, V. Technology diffusion and health care productivity: angioplasty in the UK. The London School of Economics and Political Science.