My main research interests are in the area of cognitive neuroscience. Specifically, I am interested in the relationship between neuroplasticity and neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer's disease. I am currently investigating the possible protective role of bilingualism and physical activity as disease-modifying factors for Alzheimer’s disease at the cognitive and neurological level.
I am currently working on some projects exploring whether bilingualism can promote cognitive reserve and delay the onset of mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. I am also investigating how bilingualism can promote beneficial neuroplastic changes and affect the neuropathological course of Alzheimer's disease.
- Bachelor of Psychology (Hons), Murdoch University, Australia, Feb 2010 – May 2014
- Research Fellow, City University London, Apr 2018 – present
English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), Finnish (can read, write, speak and understand spoken) and Italian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Brini, S., Sohrabi, H.R., Hebert, J.J., Forrest, M.R.L., Laine, M., Hämäläinen, H. … Fairchild, T.J. (2020). Bilingualism Is Associated with a Delayed Onset of Dementia but Not with a Lower Risk of Developing it: a Systematic Review with Meta-Analyses. Neuropsychology Review, 30(1). doi:10.1007/s11065-020-09426-8.
- Brini, S., Sohrabi, H.R., Hebert, J.J., Forrest, M.R.L., Laine, M., Hämäläinen, H. … Fairchild, T.J. (2020). Correction to: Bilingualism Is Associated with a Delayed Onset of Dementia but Not with a Lower Risk of Developing it: a Systematic Review with Meta-Analyses (Neuropsychology Review, (2020), 30, 1, (1-24), 10.1007/s11065-020-09426-8). Neuropsychology Review, 30(1), pp. 25–27. doi:10.1007/s11065-020-09435-7.
- Griva, K., Yoong, R.K.L., Nandakumar, M., Rajeswari, M., Khoo, E.Y.H., Lee, V.Y.W. … Newman, S.P. (2020). Associations between health literacy and health care utilization and mortality in patients with coexisting diabetes and end-stage renal disease: A prospective cohort study. British Journal of Health Psychology. doi:10.1111/bjhp.12413.
- Flood, C., Barlow, S., Simpson, A., Burls, A., Price, A., Cartwright, M. … Brini, S. (2018). What utility scores do mental health service users, healthcare professionals and members of the general public attribute to different health states? A co-produced mixed methods online survey. PLoS ONE, 13(10). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0205223.
- Brini, S., Sohrabi, H.R., Peiffer, J.J., Karrasch, M., Hämäläinen, H., Martins, R.N. … Fairchild, T.J. (2018). Physical Activity in Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease and Cognitive Decline: A Narrative Review. Sports Medicine, 48(1), pp. 29–44. doi:10.1007/s40279-017-0787-y.
- Landes, J.K., Reid, C.L., Arns, M., Badcock, N.A., Ros, T., Enriquez-Geppert, S. … Anderson, M. (2017). EEG neurofeedback for executive functions in children with neurodevelopmental challenges. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2017(12). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD012890.
- Forrest, M.R.L., Hebert, J.J., Scott, B.R., Brini, S. and Dempsey, A.R. (2017). Risk Factors for Non-Contact Injury in Adolescent Cricket Pace Bowlers: A Systematic Review. Sports Medicine, 47(12), pp. 2603–2619. doi:10.1007/s40279-017-0778-z.
- O'Shea, R.P., Brini, S. and Wade, N.J. (2016). Ragona-Sciná's (1847) method for, and observations of, simultaneous color contrast. i-Perception, 7(2), pp. 1–13. doi:10.1177/2041669516643239.