My main research interests are in the area of cognitive neuroscience. Specifically, I am interested in the relationship between neuroplasticity and neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer's disease. I am currently investigating the possible protective role of bilingualism and physical activity as disease-modifying factors for Alzheimer’s disease at the cognitive and neurological level.
I am currently working on some projects exploring whether bilingualism can promote cognitive reserve and delay the onset of mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. I am also investigating how bilingualism can promote beneficial neuroplastic changes and affect the neuropathological course of Alzheimer's disease.
- Bachelor of Psychology (Hons), Murdoch University, Australia, Feb 2010 – May 2014
- Research Fellow, City University London, Apr 2018 – present
English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), Finnish (can read, write, speak and understand spoken) and Italian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Brini, S. (2018). What utility scores do mental health service users, healthcare professionals and members of the general public attribute to different health states? A co-produced mixed methods online survey. PLoS ONE, 13(10). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0205223.
- (2018). Physical Activity in Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease and Cognitive Decline: A Narrative Review. Sports Medicine, 48(1), pp. 29–44. doi:10.1007/s40279-017-0787-y.
- Landes, J.K., Reid, C.L., Arns, M., Badcock, N.A., Ros, T., Enriquez-Geppert, S. … Anderson, M. (2017). EEG neurofeedback for executive functions in children with neurodevelopmental challenges. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2017(12). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD012890.
- (2017). Risk Factors for Non-Contact Injury in Adolescent Cricket Pace Bowlers: A Systematic Review. Sports Medicine, 47(12), pp. 2603–2619. doi:10.1007/s40279-017-0778-z.
- O'Shea, R.P., Brini, S. and Wade, N.J. (2016). Ragona-Sciná's (1847) method for, and observations of, simultaneous color contrast. i-Perception, 7(2), pp. 1–13. doi:10.1177/2041669516643239.