- Ahmed, T. (2019). Brexit, Discrimination and EU (Legal) Tools. EUROPEAN LAW REVIEW, 44(4), pp. 515–528.
- Ahmed, T. (2018). The opposition of the CJEU to the ECHR as a mechanism of international human rights. Journal of International and Comparative Law, 4(2), pp. 331–348.
- Ahmed, T. (2013). The Treaty of Lisbon and Beyond: the Evolution of European Union Minority Protection? European Law Review, 38(1), pp. 30–51.
- Ahmed, and Buchan, R. (2011). Minority Rights in International Law. International Community Law Review, 13(4), pp. 331–332.
- Ahmed, (2011). The EU, Counter-Terrorism and the Protection of Muslims as European Minorities. International Community Law Review, 13(4), pp. 437–459.
- Ahmed, (2011). Review of A Verstichel, B de Witte, P Lemmens and A Allen (Eds), The Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities: A useful Pan-European Instrument? Intersentia, Antwerp, 2008. International Journal on Minority and Group Rights, 18, pp. 277–280.
- Ahmed, (2011). Review of K Topidi, EU Law, Minorities and Enlargement (Intersentia, 2010). European Law Review, 36, pp. 603–605.
- Ahmed, (2010). EU Governance and Minority Rights: Opportunities and Remaining Obstacles. International Journal on Minority and Group Rights, 17(2), pp. 265–285.
- Ahmed, (2010). Review of X Arzoz (Ed) Respecting Linguistic Diversity in the European Union. European Public Law, 16(2), pp. 620–623.
- Ahmed, (2009). Demanding Minority (Linguistic) Rights from the EU: Exploiting Existing Treaty Provisions. European Public Law, 15(3), pp. 379–402.
- Ahmed, and Butler, I. (2006). The European Union and Human Rights: An International Perspective. European Journal of International Law, 17(4), pp. 801–835.
- Ahmed, and Hervey, T. (2004). The EU, Migration and Cultural Diversity: A Missed Opportunity? European Yearbook on Minority Issues, 3, pp. 43–62.
- Ahmed, (2003). Review of B Mellis, Negotiating Europe's Immigration Frontiers. European Journal of Migration and Law, 4, pp. 513–516.
London EC1V 0HB
Tawhida Ahmed is Reader in Law and joined The City Law School in 2014. She was previously Associate Professor and Lecturer at the University of Reading, and Lecturer at the University of Sheffield. She graduated from the University of Nottingham in 2007 with a PhD in European Union law and minority rights. She is associated with the Human Rights Consortium, School of Advanced Study, University of London as Associate Fellow and as member of the Steering Committee of the Indigenous Peoples and Minority Rights Project.
- PhD, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, 2007
- Reader, The City Law School, City, University of London, Sep 2016 – present
- Senior Lecturer, City University London, Jan 2014 – Sep 2016
- Associate Fellow, School of Advanced Study London, Jan 2013 – present
EU Law (LLB year 2)
EU Law and the Global Legal Order (LLB Year 3 Elective)
Constitutional and Administrative Law (LLB Year 1)
EU Law; human rights; minority rights
- Isabella Mancini, Research Student
- Isabella Mancini, Early Stage Researcher
Thesis title: Is the law of armed conflict (LOAC) out of step with unmanned weapons technologies?
Publications by category
- Ahmed, T., Farrall, S. and French, D. (2012). Criminological and Legal Consequences of Climate Change. Hart Pub Limited. ISBN 978-1-84946-186-3.
- Ahmed, T. (2011). The Impact of EU Law on Minority Rights. Hart Pub Limited. ISBN 978-1-84113-872-5.
- Ahmed, T. and Buchan, R. (Eds.), (2011). Special Issue on Minority Rights in International Law.
- Fahey, E. and Ahmed, T. On Brexit: Law, Justices and Injustices. Fahey, E. and Ahmed, T. (Eds.), Abingdon: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78990-300-3.
- Ahmed, T. (2015). The Many Vulnerabilities of the Roma and the European Legal Framework. In Ippolito, F. and Sanchez, S. (Eds.), Protecting Vulnerable Groups (pp. 142–158). Oxford: Hart Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84946-685-1.
- Ahmed, T. (2015). The EU's Protection of ECHR Standards: More Stringent than the Bosphorus Legacy? In Green, J. and Waters, C. (Eds.), Adjudicating International Human Rights: Essays in Honour of Sandy Ghandhi Netherlands: Martinus Nijhoff.
- Ahmed, T. (2015). The EU's Relationship with Minority Rights. In Psychogiopoulou, E. (Ed.), Cultural Governance and the European Union Protecting and Promoting Cultural Diversity in Europe (pp. 177–191). Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-137-45376-1.
- Ahmed, T. (2012). The EU's Minority Rights Identity: Emerging from a Fundamental Crisis in Commitment?' In Drzewicki, K. (Ed.), 5th Warsaw Seminar on Human Rights (pp. 124–132). Germany: Kontrast Publishing.
- Ahmed, T. and French, D. (2012). Situating Climate Change in (International) Law: A Tryptich of Competing Narratives. In Farrall, S., Ahmed, T. and French, D. (Eds.), Criminological and Legal Consequences of Climate Change (pp. 241–263). Oxford: Hart.
- Farrall, S., Ahmed, T. and French, D. (2012). Exploring the Legal and Criminological Consequences of Climate Change: An Introduction. In Farrall, S., Ahmed, T. and French, D. (Eds.), Criminological and Legal Consequences of Climate Change (pp. 1–6). Oxford: Hart.
- Ahmed, T. and Vakulenko, A. (2010). Minority Rights 6 Decades after the UDHR: Limits on the Preservation of Identity? In Baderin, M. and Ssenyonjo, M. (Eds.), International Human Rights Law: 6 Decades after the UDHR and Beyond (pp. 155–172). Surrey: Ashgate.
- Ahmed, T. (2009). The EU, the ECHR and the Effective Protection of Human Rights for Individuals. In French, D., Saul, M. and White, N. (Eds.), New Problems and Techniques in International Dispute Settlement by Legal Means (pp. 345–366). Oxford: OUP.
Journal articles (13)
- Ahmed, T. and Fahey, E. (2019). On Brexit: Law, Justices and Injustices. London, UK: The City Law School.
- Associate Fellow, Human Rights Consortium, School of Advanced Study London, 2013 - present.