- Rafael Henkin
- +44 (0)20 7040 3631
Rafael Henkin is a Research Associate in the giCentre, in the Department of Computer Science. He is working with Dr. Cagatay Turkay on the nLVis project, where he is investigating how natural language interactions can fit into the data analysis process along with visualisations and other mediums. He was previously a PhD student in the giCentre, supervised by Dr. Aidan Slingsby and Professor Jason Dykes. Prior to joining City, he was awarded a MSc in Computer Science at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, where worked on the integration of visual analysis with a biodiversity data management system.
He is interested in visual data science, at the intersection of data visualisation, machine learning and human-computer interaction. He is investigating how these areas can be combined harmoniously in the data analysis process, devising new theoretical methods to facilitate the integration from a design perspective and enabling scientists to apply them in practice.
- PhD in Computer Science (to be awarded in January 2019), City, University of London, United Kingdom, Dec 2013 – Sep 2018
- MSc in Computer Science, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Mar 2011 – Oct 2013
- BSc Computer Science, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Mar 2005 – Sep 2010
- Research Associate, City, University of London, Dec 2017 – present
- Henkin, R. and Turkay, C. (2018). Towards Multimodal Data Analytics: Integrating Natural Language into Visual Analytics. Multimodal Interaction for Data Visualization Workshop at AVI 2018 29 May, Grosseto, Italy.
- Henkin, R., Kachkaev, A. and Slingsby, A. (2015). Summarising the structure of an organisation and reconstructing a chain of events.
- Henkin, R., Kachkaev, A. and Slingsby, A. (2014). Summarising the structure of an organisation and reconstructing a chain of events - VAST 2014 Mini-Challenge 1 Submission Honourable Mention for Novelty in Visualization. IEEE Conference on Visual Analytics Science and Technology 9-14 November, Paris, France.
- Henkin, R., Slingsby, A. and Van Loon, E.E. (2014). Designing Interactive Graphics for Foraging Trips
Exploration. TripsWorkshop on Analysis of Movement Data at the Eighth International Conference on Geographic Information Science (GIScience 2014) 23-26 September, Vienna, Austria.
- Turkay, C. and Henkin, R. Towards Natural Language Empowered Interactive Data Analysis. , 2018.
- Henkin, R., Dykes, J. and Slingsby, A. Characterizing Representation of Temporal Data Visualization. IEEE VIS 2016, 23-10-2016 - 28-10-2016, Baltimore, USA, 2016.
- Henkin, R., Slingsby, A. and Dykes, J.A. Exploring Temporal Granularities with Visualization. , 2015.