Dr Laura Pereira
Laura Pereira completed her BSc majoring in Zoology, Ecology and Law at the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) in South Africa in 2005. In 2006 she went on to complete her BSc (Hons) in Ecology and Environmental Science with distinction, working on nitrogen dynamics in southern African agriculture. She was also elected as a member of the Wits Student Representative Council and the president of the Wits chapter of the Golden Key International Honour Society. Having received a Wits University Council Scholarship for study overseas, she moved the Oxford University School of Geography in 2007 where she read for an MSc in Nature, Society and Environmental Policy at St Hilda’s College. Her dissertation involved using a materialistic approach to analyse the legal commodity chain of coca in Colombia. In 2008 she received a Clarendon Scholarship and an Oppenheimer Memorial Trust Grant to undertake her DPhil studies at Oxford. The title of her thesis is ‘Private sector adaptive capacity to climate change impacts in the food system: food security implications for South Africa and Brazil.’ She was also awarded a Commonwealth Scholarship for the academic year commencing September 2009.
Following a stint as a Future Agricultures Consortium (FAC) early career fellow at the Institute for Development Studies at Sussex University, she became a Giorgio Ruffolo and Gundle Public Service Post-doctoral fellow in the Sustainability Science Program at Harvard's Kennedy School. She then moved back to South Africa and completed a post doc at UCT under the bio-economy chair and was then employed at the Centre for complex systems in Transition at Stellenbosch university under the GRAID project to work on sustainability transformations in the food system. She is now based at the Centre for Food Policy, City University of London, working on a Wellcome Trust funded SHEFS project that focuses on healthy and sustainable food systems in South Africa, India and the UK.
- DPhil, Oxford University, United Kingdom, Oct 2008 – Jun 2012
- MSc, Oxford University, United Kingdom, Oct 2007 – Sep 2008
- BSc (Hons) Ecology, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, Feb – Dec 2006
- BSc (Zoology, Ecology, Law), University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, Feb 2003 – Dec 2005
- Researcher, Stellenbosch University, Jan 2016 – Dec 2017
- Post doctoral research fellow, University of Cape Town, Oct 2013 – Dec 2015
- Early career research fellow, Institute of Development Studies, Oct – Mar 2012
- Post-doctoral research fellow, Harvard University, Sep 2012 – Aug 2013
Afrikaans (can read, write, speak and understand spoken), English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), French (can read and understand spoken), Portuguese (can read and understand spoken) and Spanish - Latin American (can read and understand spoken).
- Africa - Southern
- Americas - Latin
- (2017). Conclusion. ISBN 978-1-317-44619-4.
- (2018). Urban Planet. In Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-107-19693-3.
- Pereira, L. (2018). Climate Change Impacts on Agriculture across Africa. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Environmental Science Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- (2017). An introduction to food–energy–water nexus thinking and sustainability governance. In Food, Energy and Water Sustainability: Emergent Governance Strategies (pp. 1–20). ISBN 978-1-317-44619-4.
- Karpouzoglou, T., Pereira, L. and Doshi, S. (2017). Bridging ICTs with governance capabilities for food–energy–water sustainability. Food, Energy and Water Sustainability: Emergent Governance Strategies (pp. 222–238). London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-90409-5.
- Cockburn, J., Koopman, V., Pereira, L. and van Niekerk, J. (2017). Institutional bricolage to address sustainability challenges in the South African sugarcane industry. Food, Energy and Water Sustainability: Emergent Governance Strategies (pp. 133–151). London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-90409-5.
- Drimie, S. and Pereira, L. (2016). Advances in Food Security and Sustainability in South Africa. Advances in Food Security and Sustainability (pp. 1–31). Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-12-809863-9.
- (2012). Food systems in a changing world food, violence and human rights. In Food Security and Global Environmental Change (pp. 245–271). ISBN 978-1-84977-661-5.
- Schilpzand, R., Liverman, D., Tecklin, D., Gordon, R., Pereira, L., Saxl, M. … Wiebe, K. (2010). Governance beyond the state: non-state actors and food systems. Food Security and Global Environmental Change (pp. 272–300). London: Taylor and Francis. ISBN 978-1-84971-128-9.
- Mabhaudhi, T., Chibarabada, T., Chimonyo, V., Murugani, V., Pereira, L., Sobratee, N. … Modi, A. (2018). Mainstreaming Underutilized Indigenous and Traditional Crops into Food Systems: A South African Perspective. Sustainability, 11(1), pp. 172–172. doi:10.3390/su11010172.
- (2018). Designing transformative spaces for sustainability in social-ecological systems. Ecology and Society, 23(4). doi:10.5751/ES-10607-230432.
- Pereira, L., Wynberg, R. and Reis, Y. (2018). Agroecology: The future of sustainable farming? Environment, 60(4), pp. 4–17. doi:10.1080/00139157.2018.1472507.
- (2018). A diagnostic framework for food system governance arrangements: The case of South Africa. NJAS - Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences, 84, pp. 85–93. doi:10.1016/j.njas.2017.08.001.
- Pereira, L.M., Hichert, T., Hamann, M., Preiser, R. and Biggs, R. (2018). Using futures methods to create transformative spaces: Visions of a good anthropocene in Southern Africa. Ecology and Society, 23(1). doi:10.5751/ES-09907-230119.
- Boatemaa, S., Drimie, S. and Pereira, L. (2018). Addressing food and nutrition security in South Africa: A review of policy responses since 2002. African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 13(3), pp. 264–279.
- (2017). Navigating alternative framings of human-environment interactions: Variations on the theme of ‘Finding Nemo’. Anthropocene, 20, pp. 83–87. doi:10.1016/j.ancene.2017.10.003.
- Rosa, I.M.D., Pereira, H.M., Ferrier, S., Alkemade, R., Acosta, L.A., Akcakaya, H.R. … van Vuuren, D. (2017). Multiscale scenarios for nature futures. NATURE ECOLOGY & EVOLUTION, 1(10), pp. 1416–1419. doi:10.1038/s41559-017-0273-9.
- Candel, J.J.L. and Pereira, L. (2017). Towards integrated food policy: Main challenges and steps ahead. Environmental Science and Policy, 73, pp. 89–92. doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2017.04.010.
- (2017). Cassava bread in Nigeria: the potential of ‘orphan crop’ innovation for building more resilient food systems. International Journal of Technology and Globalisation, 8(2), pp. 97–115. doi:10.1504/IJTG.2017.088958.
- Bennett, E.M., Solan, M., Biggs, R., McPhearson, T., Norström, A.V., Olsson, P. … Xu, J. (2016). Bright spots: seeds of a good Anthropocene. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 14(8), pp. 441–448. doi:10.1002/fee.1309.
- Pereira, L. and Drimie, S. (2016). Governance Arrangements for the Future Food System: Addressing Complexity in South Africa. Environment, 58(4), pp. 18–31. doi:10.1080/00139157.2016.1186438.
- Pereira, L., Karpouzoglou, T., Doshi, S. and Frantzeskaki, N. (2015). Organising a safe space for navigating social-ecological transformations to sustainability. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12(6), pp. 6027–6044. doi:10.3390/ijerph120606027.
- (2014). Food and cash: Understanding the role of the retail sector in rural food security in South Africa. Food Security, 6(3), pp. 339–357. doi:10.1007/s12571-014-0349-1.
- (2014). Facultative predation and scavenging by mammalian carnivores: Seasonal, regional and intra-guild comparisons. Mammal Review, 44(1), pp. 44–55. doi:10.1111/mam.12005.
- Pereira, L. (2014). The role of substantive equality in finding sustainable development pathways in South Africa. McGill International Journal of Sustainable Development Law and Policy, 10(2), pp. 147–148.
- Rivera-Ferre, M., Pereira, L., Karpouzoglou, T., Nicholas, K., Onzere, S., Waterlander, W. … Bollmohr, S. (2013). A Vision for Transdisciplinarity in Future Earth: Perspectives from Young Researchers. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development pp. 249–260. doi:10.5304/jafscd.2013.034.031.
- Pereira, L.M. (2013). The future of the food system: Cases involving the private sector in South Africa. Sustainability (Switzerland), 5(3), pp. 1234–1255. doi:10.3390/su5031234.
- (2013). Strategic csr shifts towards adaptive food governance under environmental change: A comparison between south african and brazilian retailers. Revista de Gestao Social e Ambiental, 7(1), pp. 100–112.
- (2012). Moving from traditional government to new adaptive governance: The changing face of food security responses in South Africa. Food Security, 4(1), pp. 41–58. doi:10.1007/s12571-012-0164-5.
- (2010). Becoming coca: A materiality approach to a commodity chain analysis of hoja de coca in Colombia. Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 31(3), pp. 384–400. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9493.2010.00412.x.