Dr Iosif Kovras
Iosif Kovras is a Reader in Comparative Politics at the department of International Politics. Before joining the department he was a research fellow at Queen’s University, Belfast and Princeton University.
His research interests include comparative politics, post-conflict transitional justice and human rights, broadly defined. His work has been published in Comparative Political Studies, West European Politics, Comparative Politics, Political Studies, Political Psychology, Political Geography, Nations and Nationalism and Cooperation and Conflict, among others.
His research has been funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), the British Academy and other funding bodies.
- PhD in Comparative Politics, Queen's University Belfast, United Kingdom, 2011
- MScEcon in International Politics, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom, 2006
- BSc in Political Science and History, Panteion University, Athens, Greece, 2005
- Transitional Justice, Politics of Memory and Reconciliation
- Comparative Politics
- Human Rights
- Conflict and Post-Conflict Analysis
- Social Movements and Contentious Politics
- Political Learning
Current Research Projects
2016-2018: ‘Truth, Accountability or Impunity? Transitional Justice after Economic Crisis’ (ESRC-funded, ES/M011321/1). Iosif Kovras is the Principal investigator of this project, which builds on an interdisciplinary team, including Neophytos Loizides (Politics, Kent), Kieran McEvoy (Law, Queen’s) and Sally Wheeler (Law, Queen’s).
2015-2016: ‘Missing Migrants and Deaths at the EU's Mediterranean Border: Humanitarian Needs and State Obligations’ (ESRC-funded, ES/N01345X/1). Iosif Kovras is the Co-Investigator of this project, which is a collaboration between the University of York and City University London, and the leading inter-governmental organisation working on the issue, the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Areas of PhD supervision
Iosif welcomes applications from students interested in the following areas:
- Transitional Justice and Human Rights
- Democratization and Peacebuilding
- Social Movements and Protest
- Politics of Economic Crises
- Political learning
- Politics in Southern Europe
- Kovras, I. (2017). Grassroots activism and the evolution of transitional justice: The families of the disappeared. ISBN 978-1-316-71126-2.
- (2014). Truth recovery and transitional justice: Deferring human rights issues. ISBN 978-0-203-08369-7.
- Kovras, and Robins, S. (2017). Missing Migrants: Deaths at Sea and Addressing Migrant Bodies in Lesbos. In Donnan, H., Hurd, M. and Leutloff-Grandits, C. (Eds.), Migrating Borders and Moving Times: Temporality and the Crossing of Borders in Europe Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Kovras, I. (2015). Buried silences of the greek civil war. Necropolitics: Mass Graves and Exhumations in the Age of Human Rights (pp. 159–184). ISBN 978-0-8122-9132-2.
- Kovras, I. (2018). Explaining disappearances as a tool of political terror. International Political Science Review. doi:10.1177/0192512118764410.
- (2018). Exposure to Violence and Attitudes Towards Transitional Justice. Political Psychology, 39(2), pp. 345–363. doi:10.1111/pops.12412.
- Kovras, I., McDaid, S. and Hjalmarsson, R. (2018). Truth Commissions after Economic Crises: Political Learning or Blame Game? Political Studies, 66(1), pp. 173–191. doi:10.1177/0032321717706902.
- Kovras, I. and Robins, S. (2016). Death as the border: Managing missing migrants and unidentified bodies at the EU's Mediterranean frontier. Political Geography, 55, pp. 40–49. doi:10.1016/j.polgeo.2016.05.003.
- Kovras, I. (2016). Post-Conflict and Transitional Justice. . doi:10.1093/obo/9780199743292-0157.
- Loizides, N. (2014). The greek debt crisis and Southern Europe: Majoritarian pitfalls? Comparative Politics, 47(1), pp. 1–20. doi:10.5129/001041514813623164.
- Kovras, I. and Loizides, N. (2013). The Media and the Far Right in Western Europe: Playing the Nationalist Card. JOURNAL OF POLITICS, 75(3). doi:10.1017/S0022381613000613.
- (2013). Explaining Prolonged Silences in Transitional Justice: The Disappeared in Cyprus and Spain. Comparative Political Studies, 46(6), pp. 730–756. doi:10.1177/0010414012463879.
- (2012). Protracted Stalemates and Conflict Intervention: Policy (Un)Learning and the Cyprus-EU Debacle. Ethnopolitics, 11(4), pp. 406–423. doi:10.1080/17449057.2012.697653.
- (2012). Cultures of Rioting and Anti-Systemic Politics in Southern Europe. West European Politics, 35(4), pp. 707–725. doi:10.1080/01402382.2012.682342.
- Kovras, I. (2012). De-linkage processes and grassroots movements in transitional justice. Cooperation and Conflict, 47(1), pp. 88–105. doi:10.1177/0010836711434477.
- (2012). Non-apologies and prolonged silences in post-conflict settings: The case of post-colonial Cyprus. Time & Society, 21(1), pp. 71–88. doi:10.1177/0961463X11431338.
- Loizides, N. (2011). Delaying truth recovery for missing persons. Nations and Nationalism, 17(3), pp. 520–539. doi:10.1111/j.1469-8129.2009.00437.x.
- Kovras, I. (2011). The UN's Moral Responsibility in the ‘Spill-Over’ of Genocide from Rwanda to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. African Journal of International and Comparative Law, 19(1), pp. 145–163. doi:10.3366/ajicl.2011.0007.
- (2010). The parliamentary election in Greece, October 2009. Electoral Studies, 29(2), pp. 293–296. doi:10.1016/j.electstud.2010.01.001.
- (2008). Unearthing the truth: The politics of exhumations in Cyprus and Spain. History and Anthropology, 19(4), pp. 371–390. doi:10.1080/02757200802611688.
- Ben Attia, F., Brian, T., Heiermann, A.C., Grant, S., Jarvis, C., Kovras, I. … Shaiah, A. (2016). ‘Like a part of a puzzle which is missing’: The impact on families of a relative missing in migration across the Mediterranean. Mediterranean Missing.
- Ben Attia, F., Brian, T., Heiermann, A.C., Grant, S., Jarvis, C., Kovras, I. … Shaiah, A. (2016). Missing Migrants: Management of Dead Bodies in Sicily. Mediterranean Missing.
- Ben Attia, F., Brian, T., Heiermann, A.C., Grant, S., Jarvis, C., Kovras, I. … Shaiah, A. (2016). Missing Migrants: Management of Dead Bodies in Lesbos. Mediterranrean Missing.
- Kovras, , Robins, S. and Vallianatou, A. Addressing Migrant Bodies on Europe’s Southern Frontier. An agenda for research and practice..
- Kovras, and Robins, S. Missing Migrants in the Mediterranean : Addressing the Humanitarian Crisis Summary repor..
Programme Director, BSc Politics