- Debets, M.P.M., Silkens, M.E.W.M., Kruijthof, K.C.J. and Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H. (2022). Building organisations, setting minds: exploring how boards of Dutch medical specialist companies address physicians’ professional performance. BMC Health Services Research, 22(1). doi:10.1186/s12913-022-07512-6.
- Silkens, M.E.W.M., Sarker, S.-.J. and Medisauskaite, A. (2021). Uncovering trends in training progression for a national cohort of psychiatry trainees: discrete-time survival analysis. BJPsych Open, 7(4). doi:10.1192/bjo.2021.958.
- Jansen, I., Stalmeijer, R.E., Silkens, M.E.W.M. and Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H. (2021). An act of performance: Exploring residents’ decision‐making processes to seek help. Medical Education, 55(6), pp. 758–767. doi:10.1111/medu.14465.
- Scheepers, R., Silkens, M., van den Berg, J. and Lombarts, K. (2020). Associations between job demands, job resources and patient-related burnout among physicians: results from a multicentre observational study. BMJ Open, 10(9). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2020-038466.
- Jansen, I., Silkens, M.E.W.M., Stalmeijer, R.E. and Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H. (2019). Team up! Linking teamwork effectiveness of clinical teaching teams to residents’ experienced learning climate. Medical Teacher, 41(12), pp. 1392–1398. doi:10.1080/0142159x.2019.1641591.
- Dominguez, L.C., Silkens, M. and Sanabria, A. (2019). The Dutch residency educational climate test: construct and concurrent validation in Spanish language. International Journal of Medical Education, 10, pp. 138–148. doi:10.5116/ijme.5d0c.bff7.
- van den Goor, M., Silkens, M., Heineman, M.J. and Lombarts, K. (2018). Investigating Physicians' Views on Soft Signals in the Context of Their Peers' Performance. Journal for Healthcare Quality, 40(5), pp. 310–317. doi:10.1097/jhq.0000000000000120.
- Silkens, M.E.W.M., Arah, O.A., Wagner, C., Scherpbier, A.J.J.A., Heineman, M.J. and Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H. (2018). The Relationship Between the Learning and Patient Safety Climates of Clinical Departments and Residents’ Patient Safety Behaviors. Academic Medicine, 93(9), pp. 1374–1380. doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002286.
- Silkens, M.E.W.M., Chahine, S., Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H. and Arah, O.A. (2018). From good to excellent: Improving clinical departments’ learning climate in residency training. Medical Teacher, 40(3), pp. 237–243. doi:10.1080/0142159x.2017.1398821.
- Silkens, M.E.W.M., Slootweg, I.A., Scherpbier, A.J.J.A., Heineman, M.J. and Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H. (2017). Hospital-wide education committees and high-quality residency training. Perspectives on Medical Education, 6(6), pp. 396–404. doi:10.1007/s40037-017-0390-9.
- Silkens, M.E.W.M., Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H., Scherpbier, A.J.J.A., Heineman, M.J. and Arah, O.A. (2017). Towards healthy learning climates in postgraduate medical education: exploring the role of hospital-wide education committees. BMC Medical Education, 17(1). doi:10.1186/s12909-017-1075-0.
- Silkens, M.E.W.M., Smirnova, A., Stalmeijer, R.E., Arah, O.A., Scherpbier, A.J.J.A., Van Der Vleuten, C.P.M. … Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H. (2016). Revisiting the D-RECT tool: Validation of an instrument measuring residents’ learning climate perceptions. Medical Teacher, 38(5), pp. 476–481. doi:10.3109/0142159x.2015.1060300.
- Silkens, M.E.W.M., Arah, O.A., Scherpbier, A.J.J.A., Heineman, M.J. and Lombarts, K.M.J.M.H. (2016). Focus on Quality: Investigating Residents’ Learning Climate Perceptions. PLOS ONE, 11(1). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0147108.
London EC1V 0HB
Milou is a Health Scientist and Clinical Epidemiologist with a PhD in Medical Education. Her research aims to improve the healthcare experience for those who work withing healthcare systems as well as for patients receiving healthcare. She achieves this aim through conducting mixed-method research, investigating the adoption and spread of healthcare innovations and what this means for the training of doctors as well as for patients' healthcare experience.
- University Teaching Qualification, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, Sep 2019
- PhD, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct 2013 – Oct 2017
- MSc, Maastricht University, Netherlands, Sep 2011 – Sep 2013
- Honours Certificate (Education), Maastricht University, Netherlands, Sep 2011
- BSc, Maastricht University, Netherlands, Sep 2008 – Sep 2011
- Mental Health First Aid, Mental Health First Aid England, United Kingdom
- Research Fellow, City, University of London, Jul 2022 – present
- Research Fellow, University College London, Oct 2019 – Jun 2022
- Post-doctoral Researcher, University of Amsterdam, Oct 2017 – Oct 2019
- Junior Lecturer, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Oct 2017 – Sep 2019
- Researcher, Dutch Inspectorate of Education, Mar – Oct 2016
- PhD Candidate, University of Amsterdam, Oct 2013 – Oct 2017
Dutch; Flemish (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and German (can read and understand spoken).