- Saunder, L. and Knight, R.A. (2017). CitySCaPE: Moving beyond indifference in education for pre-registration nurses about learning disability. Nurse Education in Practice, 26, pp. 82–88. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2017.07.008.
- Saunder, L. (2016). On-line role play in mental health education. The Journal of Mental Health Training, Education and Practice, 11(1), pp. 1–9. doi:10.1108/jmhtep-07-2015-0031.
- Saunder, L.J. (2012). Developing an e-learning resource in clinical risk assessment. Nursing Management, 5(19), pp. 26–29. doi:10.7748/nm2012.09.19.5.26.c9262.
- Saunder, L.J. (2003). An audit of interventions for dual diagnosis in a psychiatric unit. Nursing Times, 99(27), pp. 34–36.
- Saunder, L.J. and Berridge, E.J. Immersive simulated reality scenarios for enhancing students'
experience of people with learning disabilities across all fields of nurse
education. Nurse Education in Practice. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2015.04.007.
London EC1V 0HB
Lorna joined City University in 2001 as a lecturer/practitioner in dual diagnosis. In 2005 she joined the University as a lecturer.
Lorna has worked on a number of projects exploring the use if digital media in learning and developed multi-media and virtual reality resources.
Lorna has under-taken the practice lead role for Mental Health and is not the Programme Director for the Nurse Associate programme.
- PGDip On-line learning, Open University, United Kingdom, Sep 2011 – Jul 2013
- MA Academic Practice, City University London, United Kingdom, Sep 2007 – Aug 2010
- PGDip_Drug and Alcohol Studies, University of the West of Scotland, United Kingdom, Sep 2006 – Aug 2008
- BSc (hons) Nursing- mental health, University of Abertay Dundee, United Kingdom, Sep 1992 – Nov 1996
- Senior Lecturer in Mental Health, City, University London, 2005 – present
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, Oct 2016 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- City, University of London (2014) Student Voice Award Nomination
- City, University of London (2013) Runner-up Health has got talent
- HENCL (2013) HENCL Innovation in Education Technology Award - Highly Commended
- City, University of London (2011) Teaching recognition award
- City, University of London (2011) Runner-up for Moodle early innovator award
HS1001, HS200, HS3001- Simulated Practice
HS 2332 Experiencing Acute Care and diagnostics (Module Leader)
HSM332 Experiencing Acute Care, Diagnostics and Treatment (Mental Health) (Module Leader)
Other areas of expertise
Substance use (general, dual diagnosis, public health, pregnancy)
Lorna's research focuses on e-learning strategies and developments.
- Mental Health: Dual diagnosis
- Learning disabilities
- Education technology
- Professional Education research
Current and Recently Completed Grants / Activities
Application being submitted for research project looking at enhancing e-learning strategies in the new curriculum. Contributing to an evaluation on the implementation of Shareville.
Publications by category
- Saunder, L.J. (2010). Stimulants and psychosis. In Phillips, P., McKeown, O. and Sandford, T. (Eds.), Dual Diagnosis: Practice in Context
Journal articles (5)
- Lorna maintains links with local substance misuse services and provides support to students and staff whilst they are on clinical placements
- Online Role Play For Learning: Current Practice from City and Beyond – conference presentation. City University (2014).
Description: Presentation about the development and delivery of an on-line role play activity.
- Higher Education Academy "Shareville in the City" workshop presentation. (2013).
- SEDA conference "Shareville in the City" poster presentation. (2012).