- Jafri, J. (2021). The Political Economy of Bank Regulation in Developing Countries: Risk and Reputation. The Journal of Development Studies pp. 1–2. doi:10.1080/00220388.2020.1866246.
- Jafri, J. (2020). The exclusionary politics of digital financial inclusion: mobile money, gendered walls. Gender, Place & Culture pp. 1–4. doi:10.1080/0966369x.2020.1767886.
- Jafri, J. (2020). Global city makers: economic actors and practices in the world city network. Eurasian Geography and Economics pp. 1–3. doi:10.1080/15387216.2020.1742182.
- Jafri, J. (2019). When billions meet trillions: impact investing and shadow banking in Pakistan. Review of International Political Economy, 26(3), pp. 520–544. doi:10.1080/09692290.2019.1608842.
- Mazhar, U. and Jafri, J. (2017). Can the shadow economy undermine the effect of political stability on inflation? empirical evidence. Journal of Applied Economics, 20(2), pp. 395–420. doi:10.1016/S1514-0326(17)30018-1.
London EC1V 0HB
Juvaria Jafri is a political economist studying financial development in the Global South, including inclusive finance, payment systems, and impact investing strategies. Her doctoral research studied how shadow banking practices and networks have shaped inclusive finance in Pakistan. Her previous degrees are from the University of Toronto, Canada, and SZABIST, Pakistan. She has several years of work experience in the financial sector. At City, she has been teaching on modules in microeconomics, macroeconomics, the political economy of development, and quantitative analysis.
- PhD, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- MS, Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology, Pakistan
- BA Hons, University of Toronto, Canada
- Q-Step Teaching Fellow, City, University London, Oct 2015 – Oct 2018
- Visiting Lecturer, Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture, Jan 2013 – May 2014
Publications by category
- Grandi, S., Sellar, C. and Jafri, J. (2019). Geofinance between political and financial geographies: A focus on the semi-periphery of the global financial system. ISBN 978-1-78990-384-3.
- Grandi, S., Sellar, C. and Jafri, J. (2019). Geofinance between Political and Financial Geographies. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Sellar, C., Grandi, S. and Jafri, J. (2019). Introduction: Theorizing semi-peripheral geographies of finance and banking. ISBN 978-1-78990-384-3.
- Jafri, J. (2019). Shadow financial citizenship and the contradictions of financial inclusion in Pakistan. Geofinance between Political and Financial Geographies: A Focus on the Semi-Periphery of the Global Financial System (pp. 213–242). ISBN 978-1-78990-384-3.
- Sellar, C., Grandi, S. and Jafri, J. (2019). Geofinance/banking between political and financial geographies. Geofinance between Political and Financial Geographies: A Focus on the Semi-Periphery of the Global Financial System (pp. 15–29). ISBN 978-1-78990-384-3.
Internet publications (7)
- Jafri, J. (2020). Coronavirus: how Pakistan is using technology to disperse cash to people in need. The Conversation.
- Jafri, J. Uber in Pakistan: a lesson in the flaws of the sharing economy.
- Jafri Madani, J. Book Review: The Code of Capital: How the Law Creates Wealth and Inequality by Katharina Pistor.
- Jafri, J. Book review: hotels and highways: the construction of modernization theory in Cold War Turkey by Begüm Adalet.
- Jafri, J. Book Review: The Color of Money: Black Banks and the Racial Wealth Gap by Mehrsa Baradaran.
- Jafri, J. Book Review: Belt and Road: A Chinese World Order by Bruno Maçães.
- Jafri, J. Inclusive Finance, Shadow Banking and the Need for Financial Citizenship.