Dr Simone Stumpf
Human Centric Systems
Simone Stumpf received a PhD in Computer Science in 2001 and a BSc in Computer Science with Cognitive Science in 1996, both from University College London. She joined City University London as Lecturer in 2009. Previously, she worked at Oregon State University (USA) and University College London as a Research Fellow/Manager. Simone also has professional agency experience as a User Experience Architect, working on web presence, e-commerce and social networking projects.
Dr Simone Stumpf's core research focus has been on the use of intelligent systems by end users, end-user programming and information management systems. At University College London (UCL) she was involved in a large-scale user trial of biometric security systems and contributed to an EPSRC-funded project to design and implement a system used by security staff to detect and prevent theft by employees. At Oregon State University, she worked on the TaskTracer project (as part of the CALO research project) to develop an intelligent user interface system, targeted at information workers, that combined the automatic tracking of users' information resources and the application of machine learning to enable activity-based personal information management. She also has conducted research on the use of images by professionals and end users (specifically in information seeking) and how end users interact with music playlists.
More recently, she has focused extensively on end-user interactions with systems that use machine learning algorithms. She has investigated mechanisms for and effects of enabling end users to understand and control email filters, text classifiers and music recommender systems.
She is a member of the End Users Shaping Effective Software (EUSES) consortium, an international collaboration between, amongst others, University of Washington, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Cambridge and IBM, to develop and investigate technologies that support end-users to directly influence software behaviour.
PhD Computer Science, University College London, 2001
BSc Computer Science with Cognitive Science, University College London, 1996
2009 - to date City University London, Lecturer
2007 - 2009 White Horse, Portland, UX Architect
2004 - 2007 Oregon State University, Research Manager
2001 - 2004 University College London, Research Fellow
1996 - 1997 BT, Project Manager
2008 - 2012 Oregon State University, Assistant Professor (Senior Researcher)
Membership of professional bodies
2001 BCS, Member
2005 ACM, Member
2005 AAAI, Member
2012 UXPA, Member
- Tracey Booth
- Thesis title
- End-user programming of Arduino
- Further Information
- First supervisor
- Dara Sherwani
- Thesis title
- Trust in Reviews in Virtual Communities
- Further Information
- First supervisor
- Göker, A., Butterworth, R., MacFarlane, A., Ahmed, T.S. and Stumpf, S. (11 Jan 2016). Expeditions through image jungles: The commercial use of image libraries in an online environment. Journal of Documentation, 72(1), 5-23. doi: 10.1108/JD-01-2014-0019
- Groce, A., Kulesza, T., Zhang, C., Shamasunder, S., Burnett, M., Wong, W.K., Stumpf, S., Das, S., Shinsel, A., Bice, F. and McIntosh, K. (01 Jan 2014). You are the only possible oracle: Effective test selection for end users of interactive machine learning systems. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 40(3), 307-323. doi: 10.1109/TSE.2013.59
- Mera, M. and Stumpf, S. (2014). Eye-tracking Film Music. Music and the Moving Image, 7(3), 3-23.
- Das, S., Moore, T., Wong, W.K., Stumpf, S., Oberst, I., McIntosh, K. and Burnett, M. (23 Sep 2013). End-user feature labeling: Supervised and semi-supervised approaches based on locally-weighted logistic regression. Artificial Intelligence, 204, 56-74. doi: 10.1016/j.artint.2013.08.003
- Markova, M.S., Wilson, S. and Stumpf, S. (01 Dec 2012). Tangible user interfaces for learning. International Journal of Technology Enhanced Learning, 4(3-4), 139-155. doi: 10.1504/IJTEL.2012.051578
- Kulesza, T., Stumpf, S., Wong, W.-.K., Burnett, M., Perona, S., Ko, A. and Oberst, I. (Oct 2011). Why-Oriented End-User Debugging of Naïve Bayes Text Classification. Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems, 1(1).
- Metoyer, R., Stumpf, S., Neumann, C., Dodge, J., Cao, J. and Schnabel, A. (May 2010). Explaining how to play real-time strategy games. Knowledge-Based Systems, 23(4), 295-301. doi: 10.1016/j.knosys.2009.11.006
- Stumpf, S., Rajaram, V., Li, L., Wong, W.-.K., Burnett, M., Dietterich, T., Sullivan, E. and Herlocker, J. (Aug 2009). Interacting meaningfully with machine learning systems: Three experiments. International Journal of Human Computer Studies, 67(8), 639-662. doi: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2009.03.004
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J. (2004). An investigation into sharing metadata: "I'm not thinking what you are thinking". Journal of Universal Computer Science, 10(6), 740-748. doi: 10.3217/jucs-010-06-0740
- Stumpf, S.C. and McDonnell, J.T. (01 Jan 2002). Talking about team framing: Using argumentation to analyse and support experiential learning in early design episodes. Design Studies, 23(1), 5-23. doi: 10.1016/S0142-694X(01)00020-5
- Burnett, M., Stumpf, S., Makri, S., Macbeth, J., Beckwith, L., Kwan, I., Peters, A. and Jernigan, W. (). GenderMag: A Method for Evaluating Software’s Gender Inclusiveness. Interacting with Computers.
- Crosswhite, J., Fox, J., Reed, C., Scaltsas, T. and Stumpf, S. (2004). Computational models of rhetorical argumentation. Reed, D.C. and Norman, T.J. (Ed.), Argumentation machines: new frontiers in argument and computation (pp. ) London: Springer Netherlands. ISBN: 1402018118.
- Holliday, D., Wilson, S. and Stumpf, S. (07 Mar 2016). User trust in intelligent systems: A journey over time. , doi: 10.1145/2856767.2856811
- Kulesza, T., Burnett, M., Wong, W.K. and Stumpf, S. (01 Jan 2015). Principles of Explanatory Debugging to personalize interactive machine learning. , doi: 10.1145/2678025.2701399
- Bussone, A., Stumpf, S. and O'Sullivan, D. (2015). The Role of Explanations on Trust and Reliance in Clinical Decision Support Systems.. , doi: 10.1109/ICHI.2015.26
- Booth, T. and Stumpf, S. (25 Sep 2013). End-user experiences of visual and textual programming environments for Arduino. , doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-38706-7_4
- Kulesza, T., Stumpf, S., Burnett, M., Yang, S., Kwan, I. and Wong, W.K. (31 Dec 2013). Too much, too little, or just right? Ways explanations impact end users' mental models. , doi: 10.1109/VLHCC.2013.6645235
- Curran, W., Moore, T., Kulesza, T., Wong, W.K., Todorovic, S., Stumpf, S., White, R. and Burnett, M. (26 Apr 2012). Towards recognizing "cool": Can end users help computer vision recognize subjective attributes of objects in images?. , doi: 10.1145/2166966.2167019
- Kulesza, T., Stumpf, S., Burnett, M. and Kwan, I. (2012). Tell me more? the effects of mental model soundness on personalizing an intelligent agent. , doi: 10.1145/2207676.2207678
- Shinsel, A., Kulesza, T., Burnett, M., Curran, W., Groce, A., Stumpf, S. and Wong, W.K. (09 Dec 2011). Mini-crowdsourcing end-user assessment of intelligent assistants: A cost-benefit study. , doi: 10.1109/VLHCC.2011.6070377
- Loumakis, F., Stumpf, S. and Grayson, D. (2011). This image smells good: Effects of image information scent in search engine results pages. , doi: 10.1145/2063576.2063649
- Kulesza, T., Burnett, M., Stumpf, S., Wong, W.K., Das, S., Groce, A., Shinsel, A., Bice, F. and McIntosh, K. (11 Jul 2011). Where are my intelligent assistant's mistakes? A systematic testing approach. , doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-21530-8_14
- Scaffidi, C., Burnett, M., Costabile, M.F., Stumpf, S. and Wulf, V. (11 Jul 2011). European-American collaboration workshop. , doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-21530-8_52
- Wong, W.-.K., Oberst, I., Das, S., Moore, T., Stumpf, S., McIntosh, K. and Burnett, M. (2011). End-user feature labeling: A locally-weighted regression approach. , doi: 10.1145/1943403.1943423
- Wong, W.K., Oberst, I., Das, S., Moore, T., Stumpf, S., McIntosh, K. and Burnett, M. (02 Nov 2011). End-user feature labeling via locally weighted logistic regression. ,
- Kulesza, T., Stumpf, S., Burnett, M., Wong, W.-.K., Riche, Y., Moore, T., Oberst, I., Shinsel, A. and McIntosh, K. (2010). Explanatory debugging: Supporting end-user debugging of machine-learned programs. , doi: 10.1109/VLHCC.2010.15
- Kulesza, T., Wong, W.K., Stumpf, S., Perona, S., White, R., Burnett, M.M., Oberst, I. and Ko, A.J. (21 Sep 2009). Fixing the program my computer learned: Barriers for end users, challenges for the machine. , doi: 10.1145/1502650.1502678
- Shen, J., Irvine, J., Bao, X., Goodman, M., Kolibaba, S., Tran, A., Carl, F., Kirschner, B., Stumpf, S. and Dietterich, T.G. (21 Sep 2009). Detecting and correcting user activity switches: Algorithms and interfaces. , doi: 10.1145/1502650.1502670
- Stumpf, S., Sullivan, E., Fitzhenry, E., Oberst, I., Wong, W.-.K. and Burnett, M. (2008). Integrating rich user feedback into intelligent user interfaces. , doi: 10.1145/1378773.1378781
- Stumpf, S., Burnett, M.M. and Dietterich, T.G. (2007). Improving Intelligent Assistants for Desktop Activities.. ,
- Stumpf, S., Rajaram, V., Li, L., Burnett, M., Dietterich, T., Sullivan, E., Drummond, R. and Herlocker, J. (28 Sep 2007). Toward harnessing user feedback for machine learning. , doi: 10.1145/1216295.1216316
- Neumann, C., Schnabel, A., Dodge, J., Metoyer, R.A. and Stumpf, S. (01 Dec 2007). How experts explain strategic behavior during real-time strategy games. ,
- Stumpf, S., Burnett, M. and Dietterich, T. (28 Dec 2007). Improving intelligent assistants for desktop activities. ,
- Lettkeman, A.T., Stumpf, S., Irvine, J. and Herlocker, J. (13 Nov 2006). Predicting task-specific webpages for revisiting. ,
- Kissinger, C., Burnett, M., Stumpf, S., Subrahmaniyan, N., Beckwith, L., Yang, S. and Rosson, M.B. (01 Dec 2006). Supporting end-user debugging: What do users want to know?. , doi: 10.1145/1133265.1133293
- Stumpf, S., Bao, X., Dragunov, A., Dietterich, T.G., Herlocker, J., Johnsrude, K., Li, L. and Shen, J. (01 Dec 2005). Predicting user tasks: I know what you're doing!. ,
- Stumpf, S., Bao, X., Dragunov, A., Dietterich, T.G., Herlocker, J., Johnsrude, K., Li, L. and Shen, J. (01 Dec 2005). The TaskTracer system. ,
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J. (20 Dec 2004). Sharing metadata - Problems and potential solutions. ,
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J. Data, Information and Knowledge Quality in Retail Security Decision Making. 3rd International Conference on Knowledge Management (IKNOW’03), 02 Jul 2003, Graz.
- Stumpf, S., Fitzhenry, E. and Dietterich, T.G. The Use of Provenance in Information Retrieval. Workshop on Principles of Provenance (PROPR), 19 Nov 2007, Edinburgh.
- Wong, W.-.K., Oberst, I., Das, S., Moore, T., Stumpf, S., McIntosh, K. and Burnett, M.B. End-User Feature Labeling: A Locally-Weighted Regression Approach. Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI), 13 Feb 2011, Palo Alto.
- Stumpf, S. and Herlocker, J. TaskTracer: Enhancing Personal Information Management Through Machine Learning. PIM Workshop, SIGIR, 10 Aug 2006, Seattle.
- Fitzhenry, E., Herlocker, J. and Stumpf, S. Supporting the Use and Authoring of Digital Physics Textbooks. Thinking Through New Media, 06 Jun 2006, Durham.
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J.T. A representation of rhetorical construction of understanding in teams during early design episodes. CoDesigning 2000, 11 Sep 2000, Coventry.
- Metoyer, R.A., Stumpf, S., Neumann, C., Dodge, J., Cao, J. and Schnabel, A. Explaining How to Play Real-Time Strategy Games. Twenty-ninth SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI-2009), 15 Dec 2009, Cambridge.
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J.T. Individual learning styles and perceptions of experiential learning in design teams. Proceedings 5th International Design Thinking Research Symposium "Designing in Context" (DTRS2001), 18 Dec 2001, Delft.
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J. Taking off the blinkers and creating knowledge: decision support for retail security specialists. 7th International Psychology and Crime Investigation Conference, 12 Jun 2002, Liverpool.
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J. Is there an argument for this audience?. 5th Conference of the International Society for the Study of Argumentation (ISSA), 25 Jun 2002, Amsterdam.
- Burnett, M., Herlocker, J., Lynn, J., Stumpf, S. and Wynn, E. TaskTracer: Using Machine Learning to Simplify Multi-tasking. Intel Information Systems and Technology Group, Technical Community Conference, 24 Oct 2005, Lake Tahoe2.
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J. Using repertory grids to test data quality and experts’ hunches. Workshop on Theory and Applications of Knowledge Management (TAKMA), 01 Sep 2003, Prague.
- Loumakis, F., Stumpf, S. and Grayson, D. This image smells good: Effects of image information scent in search engine results pages. 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 24 Oct 2011, Glasgow.
- Stumpf, S. and McDonnell, J.T. Relating argument to design problem framing. Proceedings 4th International Design Thinking Research Symposium (DTRS99), 23 Apr 1999, Cambridge, MA.
- Stumpf, S. and Muscroft, S. When users generate music playlists: When words leave off, music begins?. Third International Workshop on Advances in Music Information Research (AdMIRe) in conjunction with the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), 11 Jul 2011, Barcelona.
- Shinsel, A., Kulesza, T., Burnett, M., Curran, W., Groce, A., Stumpf, S. and Wong, W.-.K. Mini-Crowdsourcing End-User Assessment of Intelligent Assistants: A Cost-Benefit Study. ,
- Stumpf, S. (2001). Analysis and representation of rhetorical construction of understanding in design teams' experiential learning. (PhD Thesis).
- Stumpf, S., Burnett, M., Pipek, V. and Wong, W.-.K. (2012). End-user interactions with intelligent and autonomous systems. doi: 10.1145/2212776.2212713
- Schleith, J., Stumpf, S. and Kulesza, T. (Jun 2012). People-Powered Music: Using User-Generated Tags and Structure in Recommendations. London, UK: Centre for Human Computer Interaction Design, City University London.
- Seifert, E., Stumpf, S., Herlocker, J. and Wynn, E. (2008). Browsing for information on the web and in the file system. School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Oregon State University.
- Stumpf, S. and Sasse, A. (2005). BioPII Akzeptanzstudie Abschlussbericht.
- Stumpf, S. (1998). Between a rock and a hard place: argumentation theory between rationalistic and interpretivist standpoints. Computer Science Department, University College London.
- Stumpf, S. (1997). Argumentation-based design rationale - the sharpest tools in the box. Computer Science Department, University College London.
- Stumpf, S., Burnett, M., Dietterich, T.G., Johnsrude, K. and Herlocker, J. Recovery from Interruptions: Knowledge Workers’ Strategies, Failures and Envisioned Solutions. School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Oregon State University.
- Rajaram, V., Stumpf, S., Burnett, M., Dragunov, A., Wick, E., Lynn, J., Johnsrude, K. and Herlocker, J. Getting to the information you already have. School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Oregon State University.
- Stumpf, S., Burnett, M., Rajaram, V. and Herlocker, J. Supporting knowledge workers in practice: how do they understand and use work units?. School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Oregon State University.
BSc and MSc Modules
Module Leader, INM313 Inclusive Design
Lecturer, INM401 Information Architecture
Lecturer, INM373 Research Methods and Professional Issues