Professor Mireia Jofre-Bonet
Professor Jofre-Bonet is Director of the MSc in Health Economics and the MSc in Economic Evaluation in Healthcare at City University London. She is a Senior Associated Researcher at LSE Health and Social Policy, collaborates with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and evaluates interventions aimed at fighting blindness in developing countries and the UK at the Moorfields Trust.
Prior to joining City, Professor Jofre-Bonet was a Lecturer at LSHTM, a Research Faculty member at the School of Public Health at Yale University, and taught at the Departments of Economics at the London School of Economics and at Yale University.
She is a Core Member of NICE Public Health Committee, ESRC Peer College Review and has contributed to health economics projects and reviews for private and public institutions - including the UK Department of Health, the NIHR Health Technology Assessment programme, and the Catalan and the Balearic Island's Departments of Health.
Other professional activities
- Member of the ESRC Peer Review College, 2010 onwards
- Director of the MSc in Economic Evaluation in Health Care since September 2006 and Director of the MSc in Health Economics since January 2007
- Organiser of the London Health Economics Group since Autumn 2009
- Member of the NICE Programme Development Group Type Diabetes 2.
- Director of PhD Studies. Economics Department, City University, 2008-2009
- Member of Hiring Search Committee, Economics Department of City University, Spring 2008 and Fall 2009
- Director of Health Services Research at the Yale University Psycho-Social Substance Abuse Research Center. 1999-2002
- Scientific Committee for the International Health Economics Association Conferences (iHEA) of 2009
- Member of the organising committee of the 5th International Health Economists' Association (IHEA) Conference, Barcelona, June 2005
- Member of the International Health Economists' Association, the Health Economists' Study Group (UK); the Centre de Recerca en Economia de la Salut, Barcelona
- Research Associate of FEDEA Health, Spain
- Harty, G.T., Jarrett, J. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (Nov 2015). Consequences Of Biomarker Analysis On The Cost-Effectiveness Of Cetuximab In Combination With Irinotecan Based Chemotherapy For First-Line Treatment Of Metastatic Colorectal Cancer. Stratified Medicine At Work?. Value in health : the journal of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research, 18(7), A456.
- Harding-Esch, E., Jofre-Bonet, M., Dhanjal, J.K., Burr, S., Edwards, T., Holland, M., Sillah, A., West, S., Lietman, T., Keenan, J., Mabey, D. and Bailey, R. (22 Apr 2015). Costs of Testing for Ocular Chlamydia trachomatis Infection Compared to Mass Drug Administration for Trachoma in The Gambia: Application of Results from the PRET Study. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 9(4). doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0003670
- Banal-Estanol, A., JOFRE-BONET, M. and Lawson, C. (13 Jul 2015). The Double-Edged Sword of Industry Collaboration: Evidence from Engineering Academics in the UK. Research Policy, 44(6), 1160-1175. doi: 10.1016/j.respol.2015.02.006
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Pesendorfer, M. (01 Jan 2014). Optimal sequential auctions. International Journal of Industrial Organization, 33(1), 61-71. doi: 10.1016/j.ijindorg.2014.02.002
- Costa-Font, J., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Yen, S.T. (2013). Not All Incentives Wash Out the Warm Glow: The Case of Blood Donation Revisited. Kyklos, 66(4), 529-551.
- Costa-Font, J. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2013). Anorexia, Body Image and Peer Effects: Evidence from a Sample of European Women. Economica, 80(317), 44-64.
- Sharma, A., Jofre-Bonet, M., Panca, M., Lawrenson, J.G. and Murdoch, I. (Nov 2012). Response to johnson et Al. Eye, 26(11), 1494-1495. doi: 10.1038/eye.2012.176
- Bozzani, F.M., Alavi, Y., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Kuper, H. (2012). A comparison of the sensitivity of EQ-5D, SF-6D and TTO utility values to changes in vision and perceived visual function in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma. BMC Ophthalmology, 12(1), 43. doi: 10.1186/1471-2415-12-43
- Browne, C., Brazier, J., Carlton, J., Alavi, Y. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (Oct 2012). Estimating quality-adjusted life years from patient-reported visual functioning. Eye, 26(10), 1295-1301. doi: 10.1038/eye.2012.137
- Sharma, A., Jofre-Bonet, M., Panca, M., Lawrenson, J.G. and Murdoch, I. (Jul 2012). An economic comparison of hospital-based and community-based glaucoma clinics. Eye, 26(7), 967-971. doi: 10.1038/eye.2012.73
- Alavi, Y., Jofre-Bonet, M., Bunce, C., Wormald, R.P., Viswanathan, A., Foster, A. and Hitchings, R. (Oct 2011). Developing an algorithm to convert routine measures of vision into utility values for glaucoma. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 18(5), 233-243. doi: 10.3109/09286586.2011.602577
- Sharma, A., Jofre-Bonet, M., Panca, M., Lawrenson, J.G. and Murdoch, I. (04 Dec 2009). Hospital-based glaucoma clinics: what are the costs to patients?. Eye, 24(6), 999-1005. doi: 10.1038/eye.2009.284
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Petry, N.M. (01 May 2008). Trading apples for oranges?. Results of an experiment on the effects of Heroin and Cocaine price changes on addicts' polydrug use. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 66(2), 281-311. doi: 10.1016/j.jebo.2006.05.002
- Costa-Font, J. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (01 Jul 2008). Is there a 'secession of the wealthy'? Private health insurance uptake and National Health System support. Bulletin of Economic Research, 60(3), 265-287. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8586.2008.00285.x
- Kuper, H., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Gilbert, C. (Dec 2006). Economic evaluation for ophthalmologists. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 13(6), 393-401. doi: 10.1080/09286580600760539
- Costa-Font, J. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2006). Are private health insurance subscribers unsatisfied with the Spanish national health system?. Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance: Issues and Practice, 31(4), 650-668.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Busch, S.H., Falba, T.A. and Sindelar, J.L. (Dec 2005). Poor mental health and smoking: interactive impact on wages.. Journal of Mental Health Policy Economics, 8(4), 193-203.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Sindelar, J.L., Petrakis, I.L., Nich, C., Frankforter, T., Rounsaville, B.J. and Carroll, K.M. (Apr 2004). Cost effectiveness of disulfiram: treating cocaine use in methadone-maintained patients. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 26(3), 225-232. doi: 10.1016/S0740-5472(04)00004-2
- Busch, S.H., Jofre-Bonet, M., Falba, T.A. and Sindelar, J.L. (2004). Burning a hole in the budget: tobacco spending and its crowd-out of other goods.. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, 3(4), 263-272.
- Busch, S., Falba, T., Duchovny, N., Jofre-Bonet, M., O'Malley, S. and Sindelar, J. (Aug 2004). Value to smokers of improved cessation products: evidence from a willingness-to-pay survey. Nicotine Tob Res, 6(4), 631-639. doi: 10.1080/14622200410001727885
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Sindelar, J.L. (Jul 2004). Creating an aggregate outcome index: cost-effectiveness analysis of substance abuse treatment. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 31(3), 229-241. doi: 10.1097/00075484-200407000-00001
- Falba, T., Jofre-Bonet, M., Busch, S., Duchovny, N. and Sindelar, J. (Jan 2004). Reduction of quantity smoked predicts future cessation among older smokers. Addiction, 99(1), 93-102. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00574.x
- Sindelar, J.L., Jofre-Bonet, M., French, M.T. and McLellan, A.T. (Jan 2004). Cost-effectiveness analysis of addiction treatment: paradoxes of multiple outcomes. Drug Alcohol Dependence, 73(1), 41-50. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2003.09.002
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Pesendorfer, M. (2003). Estimation of a dynamic auction game. Econometrica, 71(5), 1443-1489.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Sindelar, J.L. (2001). Drug Treatment as a Crime Fighting Tool.. Journal of Mental Health Policy Econonmics, 4(4), 175-178.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. (Jan 2000). Public health care and private insurance demand: the waiting time as a link.. Health Care Management Science, 3(1), 51-71.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. (01 Sep 2000). Health care: Private and/or public provision. European Journal of Political Economy, 16(3), 469-489.
- Bertwistle, D., Anderson, P. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (Sep 2012). NICE TECHNOLOGY APPRAISALS AND THE UPTAKE OF BREAST CANCER DRUGS IN THE UK. ,
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Pesendorfer, M. (01 May 2000). Bidding behavior in a repeated procurement auction: A summary. , doi: 10.1016/S0014-2921(00)00044-1
- Cubi-Molla, P., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. Adaptation to health states: a microeconometric analysis. 4th Biennial Conference ASHEcon, 10 Jun 2012, University of Minnesota.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Rossello-Roig, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2016). The Blow of Domestic Violence on Children's Health Outcomes. London, UK: Department of Economics, City University London.