Professor Corinna Hawkes
- Professor Corinna Hawkes
- +44 (0)20 7040 8796
- +44 (0)7753 268965
Professor Corinna Hawkes is Director of the Centre for Food Policy. She joined the Centre in January 2016 bringing with her a diversity of international experience at the interface between policy and research. She has worked with international agencies, governments, NGOs, think tanks and universities at the international level, as well as nationally and locally in the UK, United States and Brazil. A regular advisor to governments, international agencies and NGOs, her specialism is the role of food systems policies in what we eat and how they can be levered for positive impact. Corinna serves as Co-Chair of the Independent Expert Group of the Global Nutrition Report, an international report tracking progress in malnutrition in all its forms across the globe. She sits on the EAT-Lancet Commission on Healthy Diets from Sustainable Food Systems, the Lancet Commission on Obesity and the International Panel of Experts on Sustainable Food Systems (IPES-Food).
Corinna has worked for the World Health Organization (Geneva), the International Food Policy Research Institute (Washington DC) and in 2009-2010, held a fellowship at the School of Public Health at the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Between 2012 and 2015 she was Head of Policy and Public Affairs at World Cancer Research Fund International, where she established the NOURISHING Policy Framework for healthy diets and obesity. Consultancy clients have included the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, the World Bank and the United Nations Standing Committee on Nutrition.
Taking an inter-disciplinary approach, Corinna has published widely on food policy from farm to fork and the link with diets and nutrition, including on the policies and processes of globalization, trade policy, agriculture policies, nutrition labelling and policies on food marketing to children.
Corinna is a Trustee of Sustain: The Alliance for Better Food and Farming, UK and on the Expert Advisory Group of The Food Foundation, UK. She is one of the Independent Panel of Experts for the grant programme, Innovative Metrics and Methods for Agriculture and Nutrition Actions (IMMANA), managed by the Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health, and part of the the Evaluation Advisory Committee for the Mexican sugar-sweetened beverages tax. In 2008 she chaired the WHO Expert Group on Marketing Food and Non-alcoholic Beverages to Children. Corinna has a PhD in Geography from Kings College London and a BSc in Geography from the University of Bristol.
Food policy, food systems, nutrition, diet, health
- Hawkes, C., Brazil, B.G., Castro, I.R. and Jaime, P.C. (10 Jun 2016). How to engage across sectors: lessons from agriculture and nutrition in the Brazilian School Feeding Program.. Rev Saude Publica, 50, 47. doi: 10.1590/S1518-8787.2016050006506
- Popkin, B.M. and Hawkes, C. (02 Feb 2016). Sweetening of the global diet, particularly beverages: Patterns, trends, and policy responses. The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology, 4(2), 174-186. doi: 10.1016/S2213-8587(15)00419-2
- Kraak, V.I., Vandevijvere, S., Sacks, G., Brinsden, H., Hawkes, C., Barquera, S., Lobstein, T. and Swinburn, B.A. (01 Jan 2016). Progress achieved in restricting the marketing of high-fat, sugary and salty food and beverage products to children. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 94(7), 540-548. doi: 10.2471/BLT.15.158667
- Hawkes, C. and Popkin, B.M. (16 Jun 2015). Can the sustainable development goals reduce the burden of nutrition-related non-communicable diseases without truly addressing major food system reforms?. BMC Medicine, 13(1). doi: 10.1186/s12916-015-0383-7
- Hawkes, C., Haddad, L. and Udomkesmalee, E. (15 Feb 2015). The global nutrition report 2015: What we need to do to advance progress in addressing malnutrition in all its forms. Public Health Nutrition, 18(17), 3067-3069. doi: 10.1017/S1368980015003298
- Hawkes, C., Smith, T.G., Jewell, J., Wardle, J., Hammond, R.A., Friel, S., Thow, A.M. and Kain, J. (01 Jan 2015). Smart food policies for obesity prevention. The Lancet, 385(9985), 2410-2421. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61745-1
- Trieu, K., Neal, B., Hawkes, C., Dunford, E., Campbell, N., Rodriguez-Fernandez, R., Legetic, B., McLaren, L., Barberio, A. and Webster, J. (22 Jul 2015). Salt Reduction Initiatives around the World – A Systematic Review of Progress towards the Global Target. PLOS ONE, 10(7), e0130247-e0130247. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0130247
- Roberto, C.A., Swinburn, B., Hawkes, C., Huang, T.T.K., Costa, S.A., Ashe, M., Zwicker, L., Cawley, J.H. and Brownell, K.D. (01 Jan 2015). Patchy progress on obesity prevention: Emerging examples, entrenched barriers, and new thinking. The Lancet, 385(9985), 2400-2409. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61744-X
- Anand, S.S., Hawkes, C., de Souza, R.J., Mente, A., Dehghan, M., Nugent, R., Zulyniak, M.A., Weis, T., Bernstein, A.M., Krauss, R.M., Kromhout, D., Jenkins, D.J.A., Malik, V., Martinez-Gonzalez, M.A., Mozaffarian, D., Yusuf, S., Willett, W.C. and Popkin, B.M. (06 Oct 2015). Food Consumption and its Impact on Cardiovascular Disease: Importance of Solutions Focused on the Globalized Food System A Report From the Workshop Convened by the World Heart Federation. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY, 66(14), 1590-1614. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2015.07.050
- Hawkes, C., Ahern, A.L. and Jebb, S.A. (Dec 2014). A stakeholder analysis of the perceived outcomes of developing and implementing England’s obesity strategy 2008–2011. BMC Public Health, 14(1). doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-441
- Webster, J., Trieu, K., Dunford, E. and Hawkes, C. (Aug 2014). Target Salt 2025: A Global Overview of National Programs to Encourage the Food Industry to Reduce Salt in Foods. Nutrients, 6(8), 3274-3287. doi: 10.3390/nu6083274
- Swinburn, B., Vandevijvere, S., Kraak, V., Sacks, G., Snowdon, W., Hawkes, C., Barquera, S., Friel, S., Kelly, B., Kumanyika, S., L'Abbé, M., Lee, A., Lobstein, T., Ma, J., Macmullan, J., Mohan, S., Monteiro, C., Neal, B., Rayner, M., Sanders, D. and Walker, C. (01 Oct 2013). Monitoring and benchmarking government policies and actions to improve the healthiness of food environments: A proposed government healthy food environment policy index. Obesity Reviews, 14(S1), 24-37. doi: 10.1111/obr.12073
- Kelly, B., King, L., Baur, L., Rayner, M., Lobstein, T., Monteiro, C., Macmullan, J., Mohan, S., Barquera, S., Friel, S., Hawkes, C., Kumanyika, S., L'Abbé, M., Lee, A., Ma, J., Neal, B., Sacks, G., Sanders, D., Snowdon, W., Swinburn, B., Vandevijvere, S. and Walker, C. (01 Oct 2013). Monitoring food and non-alcoholic beverage promotions to children. Obesity Reviews, 14(S1), 59-69. doi: 10.1111/obr.12076
- Hawkes, C., THOW, A.M., DOWNS, S., LING, A.L., GHOSH-JERATH, S., SNOWDON, W., MORGAN, E., THIAM, I. and JEWELL, J.M. (2013). Identifying effective food systems solutions for nutrition and non-communicable diseases: examples from the fats supply chain. SCN News, 40, 39-47.
- Hawkes, C., Jewell, J. and Allen, K. (01 Nov 2013). A food policy package for healthy diets and the prevention of obesity and diet-related non-communicable diseases: The NOURISHING framework. Obesity Reviews, 14(S2), 159-168. doi: 10.1111/obr.12098
- Swinburn, B., Sacks, G., Vandevijvere, S., Kumanyika, S., Lobstein, T., Neal, B., Barquera, S., Friel, S., Hawkes, C., Kelly, B., L'Abbé, M., Lee, A., Ma, J., Macmullan, J., Mohan, S., Monteiro, C., Rayner, M., Sanders, D., Snowdon, W. and Walker, C. (01 Oct 2013). INFORMAS (International Network for Food and Obesity/non-communicable diseases Research, Monitoring and Action Support): Overview and key principles. Obesity Reviews, 14(S1), 1-12. doi: 10.1111/obr.12087
- Shankar, B. and Hawkes, C. (28 Nov 2013). India has a problem with palm oil: A substantial tax could be part of the solution. BMJ (Online), 347. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f6065
- Jebb, S.A., Aveyard, P.N. and Hawkes, C. (Nov 2013). The evolution of policy and actions to tackle obesity in England. Obesity Reviews, 14, 42-59. doi: 10.1111/obr.12093
- Turner, R., Hawkes, C., Waage, J., Ferguson, E., Haseen, F., Homans, H., Hussein, J., Johnston, D., Marais, D., McNeill, G. and Shankar, B. (01 Dec 2013). Agriculture for improved nutrition: The current research landscape. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 34(4), 369-377.
- Thow, A.M. and Hawkes, C. (01 Jan 2013). Global sugar guidelines: An opportunity to strengthen nutrition policy. Public Health Nutrition, 17(10), 2151-2155. doi: 10.1017/S1368980014001840
- Hawkes, C., Friel, S., Lobstein, T. and Lang, T. (01 Jun 2012). Linking agricultural policies with obesity and noncommunicable diseases: A new perspective for a globalising world. Food Policy, 37(3), 343-353. doi: 10.1016/j.foodpol.2012.02.011
- Hawkes, C. and Webster, J. (17 Oct 2012). National Approaches to Monitoring Population Salt Intake: A Trade-Off between Accuracy and Practicality?. PLoS ONE, 7(10). doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0046727
- Hawkes, C. (Mar 2012). Food taxes: what type of evidence is available to inform policy development?. Nutrition Bulletin, 37(1), 51-56. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-3010.2011.01949.x
- Igumbor, E.U., Sanders, D., Puoane, T.R., Tsolekile, L., Schwarz, C., Purdy, C., Swart, R., Durao, S. and Hawkes, C. (01 Jul 2012). "Big Food," the Consumer Food Environment, Health, and the Policy Response in South Africa. PLOS MEDICINE, 9(7), . doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001253
- Hawkes, C. (15 May 2012). Food policies for healthy populations and healthy economies. BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 344, . doi: 10.1136/bmj.e2801
- Clark, S.E., Hawkes, C., Murphy, S.M.E., Hansen-Kuhn, K.A. and Wallinga, D. (Mar 2012). Exporting obesity: US farm and trade policy and the transformation of the Mexican consumer food environment. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 18(1), 53-64. doi: 10.1179/1077352512Z.0000000007
- Hawkes, C. and Buse, K. (01 Aug 2011). Public health sector and food industry interaction: it's time to clarify the term 'partnership' and be honest about underlying interests. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH, 21(4), 400-401. doi: 10.1093/eurpub/ckr077
- Hawkes, C. and Harris, J.L. (01 Aug 2011). An analysis of the content of food industry pledges on marketing to children. PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITION, 14(8), 1403-1414. doi: 10.1017/S1368980011000607
- Ruel, M.T., Garrett, J.L., Hawkes, C. and Cohen, M.J. (01 Jan 2010). The food, fuel, and financial crises affect the urban and rural poor disproportionately: A review of the evidence. Journal of Nutrition, 140(1). doi: 10.3945/jn.109.110791
- Hawkes, C. (01 Apr 2010). The Worldwide Battle Against Soft Drinks in Schools. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE, 38(4), 457-461. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2010.01.011
- Thow, A.M. and Hawkes, C. (28 Jul 2009). The implications of trade liberalization for diet and health: A case study from Central America. Globalization and Health, 5. doi: 10.1186/1744-8603-5-5
- Hawkes, C. (01 Jun 2009). Sales promotions and food consumption. NUTRITION REVIEWS, 67(6), 333-342. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00206.x
- Hawkes, C. (01 Mar 2008). Agro-food industry growth and obesity in China: What role for regulating food advertising and promotion and nutrition labelling?. Obesity Reviews, 9(SUPPL. 1), 151-161. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2007.00458.x
- Hawkes, C. and Thow, A.M. (01 Nov 2008). Implications of the central america-dominican republic-free trade agreement for the nutrition transition in Central America. Revista Panamericana de Salud Publica/Pan American Journal of Public Health, 24(5), 345-360.
- Hawkes, C., Ruel, M. and Babu, S. (01 Jun 2007). Agriculture and health: Overview, themes, and moving forward. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 28(2 SUPPL.).
- Hawkes, C., Ruel, M. and Babu, S. (Jun 2007). Agriculture and health: overview, themes, and moving forward.. Food Nutr Bull, 28(2 Suppl), S221-S226.
- Hawkes, C. (11 Jan 2007). Regulating and litigating in the public interest. Regulating food marketing to young people worldwide: Trends and policy drivers. American Journal of Public Health, 97(11), 1962-1973. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2006.101162
- Hawkes, C. (Jun 2007). Promoting healthy diets and tackling obesity and diet-related chronic diseases: what are the agricultural policy levers?. Food and nutrition bulletin, 28(2 Suppl), S312-S322.
- Hawkes, C. (28 Mar 2006). Uneven dietary development: Linking the policies and processes of globalization with the nutrition transition, obesity and diet-related chronic diseases. Globalization and Health, 2. doi: 10.1186/1744-8603-2-4
- Hawkes, C. (01 Sep 2006). Agricultural and food policy for cardiovascular health in Latin America. Prevention and Control, 2(3), 137-147. doi: 10.1016/j.precon.2007.04.002
- Hawkes, C. and Ruel, M. (01 Dec 2006). The links between agriculture and health: an intersectoral opportunity to improve the health and livelihoods of the poor.. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 84(12), 984-990. doi: 10.2471/BLT.05.025650
- Rayner, G., Hawkes, C., Lang, T. and Bello, W. (01 Dec 2006). Trade liberalization and the diet transition: a public health response.. Health promotion international, 21 Suppl 1, 67-74. doi: 10.1093/heapro/dal053
- Hawkes, C. (01 Jun 2005). The role of foreign direct investment in the nutrition transition. Public Health Nutrition, 8(4), 357-365. doi: 10.1079/PHN2004706
- Hawkes, C. (01 Dec 2005). Self-regulation of food advertising: What it can, could and cannot do to discourage unhealthy eating habits among children. Nutrition Bulletin, 30(4), 374-382.
- Hawkes, C., Jaime, P.C., Rugani, I.C. and Brasil, B.G. (). Lessons on leveraging agriculture for nutrition from the Brazilian school meal program. Revista de Saúde Pública.
- Kraak, V., Vandevijvere, S., Sacks, G., Brinsden, H., Hawkes, C., Barquera, S., Lobstein, T. and Swinburn, S. (). Restricting the marketing of high-fat, sugary and salty food and beverage products to children: progress achieved by the World Health Organization, Member States and other actors.. Bull World Health Organisation.
- Hawkes, C., Blouin, C., Henson, S., Drager, N. and Dubé, L. (29 Oct 2009). Trade, Food, Diet and Health Perspectives and Policy Options. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN: 1444315404.
- Gelli, A., Hawkes, C. and Donovan, J. (31 Mar 2016). Food value chains and nutrition: Exploring the opportunities for improving nutrition. (Ed.), Routledge Handbook of Food and Nutrition Security (pp. 283-298) doi: 10.4324/9781315745749
- Hawkes, C. (2016). Global Efforts to Address Obesity. Brownell, K.D. and Walsh, B.T. (Ed.), Eating Disorders and Obesity: a Comprehensive Handbook New York: Guilford Publications.
- Hawkes, C., Grace, D. and Thow, A.M. (2015). Trade liberalization, food, nutrition and health. Smith, R., Blouin, C., Mirza, Z., Beyer, P. and Drager, N. (Ed.), Trade and health: Towards building a national strategy. (pp. 92-116) Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Hawkes, C. and Sassi, F. (2015). Improving the quality of nutrition. McDaid, D., Sassi, F. and Merkur, S. (Ed.), PROMOTING HEALTH, PREVENTING DISEASE: THE ECONOMIC CASE (pp. 135-168) Maidenhead: Open University Press. ISBN: 0335262260.
- Hawkes, C. (20 Oct 2014). Food marketing: a driver of the modern food system. Neff, R. (Ed.), Introduction to the US Food System Public Health, Environment, and Equity (pp. 237-262) New York: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN: 1118063384.
- Hawkes, C. and Ruel, M. (2012). Value chains for nutrition. Fan, S. and Pandya-Lorch, R. (Ed.), Reshaping agriculture for nutrition and health Washington DC: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). ISBN: 0896296733.
- Arimond, M., Hawkes, C., Ruel, M.T., Sifri, Z., Berti, P.R., Leroy, J.L., Low, J.W., Brown, L.R. and Frongillo, E.A. (30 Nov 2010). Agricultural interventions and nutrition: Lessons from the past and new evidence. (Ed.), Combating Micronutrient Deficiencies: Food-based Approaches (pp. 41-75)
- Hawkes, C., Chopra, M. and Friel, S. (28 Apr 2009). Globalization, trade, and the nutrition transition. (Ed.), Globalization and Health: Pathways, Evidence and Policy (pp. 235-262) ISBN: 0203881028. doi: 10.4324/9780203881026
- Hawkes, C. (2015). Enhancing Coherence between Trade Policy and Nutrition Action. Geneva: United Nations Standing Committee on Nutrition.
- Hawkes, C. (2015). Nutrition in the trade and food security nexus. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Hawkes, C. (2015). Diet, Chronic Disease And The Food System: Making The Links, Pushing For Change.