We are delighted to welcome back to City MA Creative Writing & Publishing alumnus Ashley Hickson-Lovence, to celebrate the launch of his second novel Your Show.
Your Show, published on 7th April by Faber, is based on the life of Uriah Rennie, the Premier League’s first and only Black referee. It is an extraordinary novel which charts one man’s pioneering efforts to make it, against the odds, to the very top of his profession and beyond.
"Not only is this a thrilling and emotional look at the legacy of one of football's most compelling heroes; it's also wonderfully inventive, detailing a life lived with passion for the game, resilience against racism, hope and integrity. Ashley has written a real tribute to Uriah Rennie” – Jeffrey Boakye.
Ashley will read from and discuss his book, which will also be available to buy.
N.B. this event is scheduled to take place in person and all timings mentioned refer to UK time. Please familiarise yourself with the current guidance for visitors attending in person events at City and the terms and conditions for attending public events at City.
Ashley Hickson-Lovence was born in London in 1991 and is a former secondary school English teacher. He took an MA in Creative Writing and Publishing at City, University of London, and is currently completing his PhD in Creative and Critical Writing at the University of East Anglia. He is a lecturer of Creative Writing at the Arts University Bournemouth. In his spare time, using his experience as a football referee himself, he formally observes semi-professional referees for the Football Association. His debut novel, The 392, was published in April 2019.
- 18:00 - 18:15: arrival, registration and drinks/canape reception in the Pavilion
- 18:15 - 19:10: launch, reading and discussion in B200
- 18:15 - 18:20: welcome and introductions
- 18:20 - 18:30: book overview and initial questions/context
- 18:30 - 18:40: book reading
- 18:40 - 19:10: further questions about the book, experience at City and audience Q&A
- 19:10 - 20:00: concluding drinks/canape reception and networking in the Pavilion
Attendance at City events is subject to our terms and conditions.