Study at City
  1. Undergraduate
  2. Postgraduate
  3. Short courses and professional development
  4. Applying
  5. Living in London
  6. Visit us
  7. Student support
  1. Funding
  2. International students
    1. US Loans
    2. Canadian Loans
Study at City

International students

As an international student, you will be expected to demonstrate that you have made provision for your living costs and tuition fees in the UK. The following page provides information about the various funding opportunities for international students.

British Council

The British Council is a good source of information about postgraduate study and funding for international students planning on studying in the UK. You can also search for scholarships online through their website.

Chevening Scholarships

What are Chevening Scholarships?

Chevening Scholarships are the UK government's global scholarship programme, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations. The Scholarships are awarded to outstanding scholars with leadership potential. Awards are typically for a one-year Masters degree.

Who can apply for a Chevening Scholarship?

Chevening Scholarships are for talented people who have been identified as potential future leaders across a wide range of fields; including politics, business, the media, civil society, religion, and academia. Applicants should be high calibre graduates with the personal, intellectual and interpersonal qualities necessary for leadership. Chevening Scholars come from over 110 countries worldwide (excluding the USA and the EU), and this year the Scholarships will support over 600 individuals. There are over 42,000 Chevening alumni around the world who together comprise an influential and highly regarded global network.

What does a Chevening Scholarship cover?

Most Chevening Scholarships cover:

  • Tuition fees
  • A living allowance at a set rate (for one individual)
  • An economy class return airfare to the UK
  • Additional grants to cover essential expenditure.

Some Scholarships cover part of the cost of studying in the UK; for example, tuition fees only or allowances only.

How to apply for a Chevening Scholarship

Full information about deadlines and priority subjects for countries which offer Chevening Scholarships will be available on the country pages of

Further information

For further information on applying for a Chevening Scholarship, sign up for alerts at

Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)

If you are a student from a Commonwealth country and not resident in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for scholarships offered by the ACU. Find out more.

Commonwealth Scholarships & Fellowships Plan

Scholarships under this scheme are administered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission. You must be from a commonwealth country, not resident in the UK and intending to study in the UK. Find out more.

MBI Scholarship Programme

The MBI Al Jaber Foundation offers scholarships to Iraqi nationals who wish to study on a Masters programme either in the UK or France. To be eligible, you must have an unconditional offer of admission on a relevant course and an IELTS score of 6.5. Apply online.

International Students House Scholarships

International Students House provide a range of Residential Scholarships which provide free accommodation at ISH for up to a year and in exceptional circumstances up to three years. Please visit the International Students House website to apply.

More Information

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provide information and advice for international students planning to study in the UK. For more information, please visit the UKCISA website.

US students

Students coming from the United States of America ( USA ) to study in the United Kingdom should also see our page about US loans.

Canadian Loans

Program Information forms should be sent to your course department to sign and get back to you. Please include information such as your full name and full course name. Please also include your expected book and equipment costs for your studies in Canadian Dollars.

Registration Confirmation forms can be signed and stamped in the Student Centre as well as in your course department. You should also see our detailed page about Canadian loans.