School of Health Sciences
Up to Five Doctoral Studentships
Closing Date: 30th November 2018
The School of Health Sciences is offering up to five full/part-time Doctoral Studentships to outstanding candidates. We are a leading provider of applied healthcare research and we offer PhD candidates an outstanding research environment: in REF 2014, 100% of our research environment was judged as world leading or internationally excellent and 100% of research impact was judged as world leading or internationally excellent. In the recent Postgraduate Research Experience Survey, 96% of PhD students responding rated the expertise and responsiveness of their supervisors as excellent. Successful applicants would join around 70 current PhD students in the School, providing a supportive environment of peers.
What is offered?
A doctoral studentship will provide:
- An annual bursary (£16,000 in 2018/19)
- All fees for PhD student registration paid for UK and EU students. Applications are welcome from overseas applicants but the applicant must make appropriate arrangements to cover the difference between the overseas and UK tuition fee
- Research costs up to £1000 over the three years
The studentships will be awarded on the basis of outstanding academic achievement and the potential to produce cutting edge-research.
- Applicants must hold at least a 2.1 honours degree or merit level Masters degree in a relevant subject (or international equivalent)
- Applicants whose first language is not English must have achieved at least 7.0 in IELTS or a recognised equivalent
- Applicants must not be currently registered as a doctoral student at City, University of London or any other academic institution
Applications are welcome from individuals wishing to pursue research on one of the specific projects listed by supervisors or in any of the areas of interest that fall within one of the research centres listed below following discussion with a potential supervisor in the School.
- Centre for Applied Vision Research
- Centre for Health Services Research
- Centre for Language and Communication Science Research
- Centre for Maternal and Child Health Research
- Centre for Mental Health Research
How to Apply
To apply for studentship funding:
- Complete an application form for a place on the PhD programme. You will be asked to register before you can complete your application
- Upload your research proposal (four sides of A4 maximum including references) on one of the specific projects listed by supervisors or in any of the areas covered by the research centres following discussion and agreement with a potential supervisor.
- Potential to answer an important question or methodological innovation. Future links to 4* research outputs.
- Upload a short cover letter with your application requesting that your application be considered for studentship funding
- Submit your online application form and supporting documents by 30 November 2018. If you have any queries, please contact the doctoral degrees support officer, Tracy Rowson.