Study at City
  1. Undergraduate
  2. Postgraduate
  3. Short courses and professional development
  4. Visit us
Study at City

Frequently asked questions

Q. On your website I found information about various short courses which I am interested in. Can apply or I should be a student of City?

A. Anybody can apply for the short, part-time courses at City, University of London - these are open access courses and require no formal qualifications/degrees/documentation etc. However, we ask that you carefully read the Eligibility Guidelines on the course page to determine whether a course is suitable for you.

Other caveats:

- You need to be at least 18 years old.

- If you are a visa national you will need a visa that permits study - see the International section below.

Q. Where are the courses taking place?

A. All the classes take place at the Northampton Square campus of City, University of London. The information how to get there can be found on our Visit City page.

Q.  What does '10 weekly classes' mean?

A. Weekly means once a week, thus '10 weekly classes' means one lesson per week for 10 consecutive weeks. Classes are held on the same day each week as the start date.

Q. How do I book a short course?

A. The only way to enrol for a course is online through our website, paying with a credit/debit card. Click on the Apply Now button next to your chosen course and you will be taken to a secure online booking system. After completing registration and making a payment, you will get an automatic receipt from the e-store to your email account, followed by a confirmation email closer to the start of the course.

(NB UK companies may pay by invoice - please contact us. Foreign companies, or individuals, may not pay by invoice.)

Q.  Can I take more than one course at the same time?

A.  You can enrol on more than one short course in the same term, provided the days on which they run do not clash.

Q. Is there a minimum age requirement for studying on a short course?

A. Anyone over 18 years of age can enrol for our courses. We do not have an upper age limit.

Q.  Is it possible to pay the course fee in instalments?

A.  No, it is not possible to pay the course fees in instalments. The course fee has to be paid in full at the time of enrolment online.

Q.  Is there a discount if I am unemployed or book more than one course?

A.  No, there are no discounts on the short courses. The courses are priced very competitively in the London market.

Q.  Do current or past students of City, University of London get a discount if they enrol on the short courses?

A.  There is no discount on the short courses for students or alumni of City, University of London.

Q.  Do I get a certificate at the end of the course?

A.  As the short courses are not accredited, there is no formal assessment and no qualification issued at the end of the courses, but students who attended at least 70% of the classes will receive a certificate with City's logo, stating that they undertook a particular course at City, University of London.

Q.  Is there an exam?

A.  No, but some courses will have work between sessions to complete and tutors may offer feedback, other courses conclude with a presentation of some sort. Please refer to specific course guidelines.

Q.  How many students will be in a class?

A.  It depends on the type of course; generally around 20, but on some courses the available equipment limits the class size (for example, 16 for computing courses or 10 for the editing course).

Q.  Will I get a Student Card?

A.  On the first evening of your course you will receive a Short Courses Student Access Card from your tutor and you must carry your card with you at all times whilst on City, University of London premises. Please note that this is NOT a student ID card, nor an access swipe card, and is only valid at City. To access the City Library present this card and your confirmation of enrolment.

Q.  What happens if I register for a course, but there are not enough people enrolled on it?

A.  City, University of London reserves the right to cancel a course, if, for example, there are insufficient numbers. If this occurs, we will refund your course fee in full.

Q.  What is the deadline for applying for a short course?

A.  There is no deadline for applications for the short courses, but it is advisable to enrol as soon as you can, because courses often get full long before the start date. In addition, for most courses you need to activate your computer access in advance of the course start.

You can check the number of places left on a course by clicking on the 'Apply now' button against the course start date of interest.

Q.  Can I cancel my enrolment and get a refund?

A.  Refunds will be given, minus a £25.00 administration charge, if written notification is received at least 14 days before the start of term. No refunds will be given with less than 14 days written notice. Read our full Terms and Conditions.

Q.  Is there any help available finding a job or internship when I finish a short course at City University London?

A.  As a student on the short courses you would be entitled to get advice on how to enhance your employability from our Careers, Student Development & Outreach centre.

Q.  I am not a native speaker of English. Do I have to have an IELTS certificate?

A.  There is no formal proof required of applicants' proficiency of English, but, as the short courses are University level courses, the guideline is equivalent to IELTS 6.5.

Q.  What is the difference is between a CPD and a short course?

A.  CPD (Continuing Professional Development) is regarded as a more structured approach to learning and the means by which people maintain their knowledge and skills related to their professional lives. The short courses can be taken by people who are new to, or want to refresh their knowledge of a particular subject, but in some areas they can also progress to more advanced levels.

Frequently asked questions for international Short Course applicants

Q.  Can I as an international student apply for the short courses? If yes, what are the fees?

A.  The short, part-time courses at City, University of London are open access courses, anybody can apply for them, whether home or international applicants, and the course fees are the same for everybody.

Q.  Is there any financial help available for international students?

A.  There is no financial aid available to international students on the short courses.

Q.  Do I need to have an IELTS certificate to prove my level of English?

A.  The entry requirements for the short courses state that applicants should be proficient in written and spoken English. There is no formal proof required of the applicant's proficiency of English, but, as the courses are of University level, the guideline is equivalent to IELTS 6.5.

Q.   Do I need to apply for a visa to come to study on the short courses?

A1.  If you are a European Economic Area (EEA) national, you do not need to apply for a visa to study in the UK.

A2. If you are a non-EEA national, you will have to apply to come to the UK as a Short-Term Student to study a short course in the UK. Information on the Short-Term Student visa route is available at Short-term Study (Student Visitor) Visas.

If you require a Short Term Study visa you should not purchase courses longer than 6 months as we are unable to provide the support letter for courses longer than the validity period of such visas.

Q.   Do I need to apply for a Short-Term Student visa before I come to the UK?

A1.  If you are a non-visa national, you are not required to apply for a Short-Term Student visa before you come to the UK. However you must request entry as a Short-Term Student when you arrive at the UK airport.

A2.  If you are a visa national, you must apply for a Short-Term Student visa from your nearest British Embassy or High Commission with a visa section before you can travel to the UK. A list of visa national countries is available on the UK Visa and Immigration Service website

Q.  What document do I need from City, University of London for applying a Short-Term Student visa?

A.  Once you have applied for a course and paid the course fee online, we will send you a confirmation letter, on official City headed paper upon request that you can take to support your Short-Term Student visa application (or to bring when you enter the UK as a Short-Term Student).

Q.  If my visa is refused can I have a refund?

A.  Refunds will be given, minus a £25.00 administration charge, if written notification is received at least 14 days before the start of term. No refunds will be given with less than 14 days written notice.

Q.  Do you provide accommodation if I enrol on one of the short courses?

A.  No, we do not arrange accommodation for our short course students - applicants will have to organise that themselves. Read more information on private housing in London.

Find us

City, University of London

Northampton Square

London EC1V 0HB

United Kingdom

Back to top

City, University of London is an independent member institution of the University of London. Established by Royal Charter in 1836, the University of London consists of 18 independent member institutions with outstanding global reputations and several prestigious central academic bodies and activities.