If you run your own business - or are thinking about setting one up – our Accounting for Small Business short course will give you a comprehensive introduction to recording, preparing and managing your business accounts.
No starting dates
Starting date to be confirmed
- Duration: 10 weeks (unconfirmed)
- Fees: £460 (unconfirmed)
- Location: Online (unconfirmed)
Accounting for the Small Business Course overview
Our online training programme in small business accounting will provide you with an understanding of financial management in order to effectively run your own small business.
You will learn the basics of financial management for the small business and look at the essential elements of finance including cash flow forecasts, cost analysis, recording transactions, preparing accounts, VAT returns and taxation.
This part-time accounting course - idea for small business owners - takes place across 10-weekly evening classes.
On completion of the course you will be able to produce simple business accounts that are compliant with accounting standards and HMRC requirements.
Who is it for?
Our accounting short course is aimed at those interested in or already running their own business and want to get to grips with business accounts.
Find out more about our Accounting courses
The Accounting for the Small Business short course takes place every Tuesday at 18.30 for 10 weeks.
City Short Courses follow the academic year, delivering courses over three terms. These include:
- Autumn - October
- Spring - January
- Summer - April
This highly practical course will give you the knowledge and tools to manage your business finances with confidence.
What will I learn?
By the end of the small business accounting course, you will have an understanding of:
- How to prepare and maintain a set of business accounts that comply with accounting standards and HMRC requirements
- Budgeting to enable better business cash flow management
- Costing and ratio analysis to enable you to review business performance and efficiency
- Completing VAT returns
- Tax planning - understanding HMRC requirements to minimising your tax burden.
- Introduction to accounts
- Cash flow forecasting
- Costing and break-even analysis
- Recording cash transactions
- Recording credit transactions
- Bank reconciliation
- Income statements and balance sheets
- Adjustments and losses
- Ratio analysis
- Computerised accounts overview
- Tax (including allowable expenses and capital allowances)
- Tax (including company structures and reporting to HMRC)
Assessment and certificates
You are not required to take any official assessment, but you will be informally assessed in class through group discussion, classroom activities and questions and answers session as guided by the tutor.
You will be awarded an official City, University of London certificate if you attend above 70 percent of the classes, however, our short courses are not formally accredited.
We do not ask for any formal qualifications to enrol on the Accounting for Small Business short course but you will need to be competent in basic arithmetic to benefit from the course.
You will need a good level of spoken and written English to enrol on this course.