Master beginners Portuguese with part 3, our third and final module. You’ll develop your grammar and build vocabulary useful for everyday interactions.
No starting dates
Starting date to be confirmed
- Duration: 10 weeks (unconfirmed)
- Fees: £245 (unconfirmed)
- Location: Northampton Square (unconfirmed)
Portuguese Beginners Part 3 Course overview
Are you able to give directions in Portuguese? Are you familiar with essential regular verbs, such as fazer and preferer?
In part 3 you’ll progress even further. You’ll learn to express your opinions, your likes and dislikes, and offer advice. You also learn to describe people and things and talk about your health. You’ll improve your understanding of verbs in the present tense, and be introduced to new tenses – past imperfect, future and conditional.
Our classes are small, allowing for plenty of individual participation and incorporating activities, games and visual aids.
Part 3 will complete your beginners knowledge of Portuguese so you will be confident to communicate at beginners level, or A1 level of the Common European Framework for language learning (CEFR).
Who is it for?
To enrol on part 3, you will need to have studied Portuguese for around 40 hours. It’s perfect if you have completed both part 1 and part 2 of the course. See our eligibility section to find out more.
Find out more about our Portuguese courses
Lessons take place one evening a week at 18:30 for 10 weeks.
Evening classes, led by qualified tutors, easy to fit around busy lives
Engaging and varied approach to learning
Reach CEFR A1 of learning.
What will I learn?
The focus of the course is on Brazilian Portuguese, although this course allows for some references to European Portuguese.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- describe people
- express taste, likes and dislikes, desire, worry
- talk about health
- give and defend an opinion
- offer help and give advice.
- verbs ver, ter que, precisar, por, vir, vestir X vestir-se
- past imperfect routine in the past, description in the past, simultaneous actions in the past, background action
- future tense
- conditional tense.
Assessment and certificates
You will be awarded an official City, University of London certificate on completion of the course if you attend over 70 per cent of the classes. The course is not formally accredited.
- Classroom activities during this evening course will include:
- pair, group work and role-play
- classroom discussion
- pronunciation and intonation
- grammar in context.
Weekly homework will be set by our tutors to help you practise what you have learned in class.
To enrol here, you will need to have some basic knowledge of Portuguese – approximately 40 hours of prior formal learning is required.
This course is the right level for you if you can:
- express preference, desire, doubt, happiness, unhappiness
- give and understand directions
- make complaints
- describe past activities
- understand possessive pronouns and prepositions of time and place.
See our full range or Portuguese courses.
You will need a good level of spoken and written English to enrol on this course.