Part 2 of our Beginners Portuguese course will help you to build your basic understanding of Portuguese over 10-weekly evening classes.
No starting dates
Starting date to be confirmed
- Duration: 10 weeks (unconfirmed)
- Fees: £245 (unconfirmed)
- Location: Northampton Square (unconfirmed)
Portuguese Beginners Part 2 Course overview
In Part 2, you’ll learn to express emotions, give directions and make a complaint. Your tutor will introduce you to regular verbs in the past tense, so you can describe past activities and events. You’ll learn to make comparisons between people, objects and places and use direct object pronouns.
The classes take place over 10 weeks and are led by a qualified languages tutor. You’ll learn with a small group of students and take part in speaking, reading and listening exercises to practise your skills. You’ll also be given weekly homework to check your understanding.
Who is it for?
Part 2 is the second of three beginners modules. It is a great place to start if you’ve completed part 1 or you’ve studied a little Portuguese elsewhere (around 20 hours of formal study). See our eligibility section for more information.
Find out more about our Portuguese courses
This course takes place one evening a week at 18:30 for 10 weeks.
- Start on part 2 if you feel comfortable with the very basics, like greeting, the alphabet and numbers
- Access our e-learning platform, Moodle, to practice in your own time
- Taught by a qualified Portuguese tutor who follows the European framework for language learning.
What will I learn?
The focus of the course is on Brazilian Portuguese, although this course allows for some references to European Portuguese.
By the end of this course, you will be able to
- express preference, desire, doubt, happiness, unhappiness
- give and understand directions
- make complaints
- make comparisons
- say where things are
- describe past activities
- talk about the daily routine.
- regular verbs -ir, fazer, preferir
- past simple of regular -ar/-er/-ir, ser, estar, ir, ter, fazer, querer, poder, dar
- possessive pronouns dele/a
- prepositions of place, prepositions of time
- direct object pronouns.
Assessment and certificates
You will be awarded an official City, University of London certificate on completion of the course if you attend over 70 per cent of the classes. The course is not formally accredited.
A mix of classroom activities will improve your understanding and make your lessons fun and interactive. Classes might include:
- classroom discussion
- pair and group work
- pronunciation and intonation
- grammar in context.
Your tutor will set weekly homework so you can practise what you have learned in class.
This course is ideal if you have studied Portuguese for about 20 hours and you know the very basics.
It’s the right level for you if you can:
- introduce yourself and talk about your family, use numbers, ask for and tell the time
- use the Portuguese alphabet with good pronunciation
- understand feminine and masculine nouns
- use regular verbs including ser, ir, poder, estar and querer.
First time learning Portuguese? Try part 1 of the course or sign up for the full beginners syllabus (parts 1-3), to get the best price.
Check out part 3, if you’ve studied for 40 hours.
You will need a good level of spoken and written English to enrol on this course.