Dr Lindsey Blumell
- Dr Lindsey Blumell
- +44 (0)20 7040 3941
I am originally from Canada, but have studied, worked, and lived in the U.S., China, Hong Kong, Denmark, Croatia, Sweden, and now the U.K. Before getting a Ph.D., I worked as a television and radio producer and reporter. My research interests focus on how human rights are covered in various types of news platforms, focusing particularly on women's rights. I also study digital news reporting and contextual influences such as hegemony.
- Ph.D., Texas Tech University, United States, Sep 2013 – May 2016
- LL.M. in Human Rights, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Blumell, L. and Hellmueller, L. (2019). Celebrity Coverage. In Vos, T.P. and Hanusch, F. (Eds.), The International Encyclopedia of Journalism Massachusetts, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Blumell, L.E. and Huemmer, J. (2019). Reassessing balance: News coverage of Donald Trump’s Access Hollywood scandal before and during #metoo. Journalism. doi:10.1177/1464884918821522.
- Blumell, L. and Miglena, S. (2018). Godlike Men and Sex Assault Coverage: the Cases of Cosby and Kumar. Media Report To Women, 46(2), pp. 6–11.
- Huemmer, J., McLaughlin, B. and Blumell, L.E. (2018). Leaving the Past (Self) Behind: Non-Reporting Rape Survivors’ Narratives of Self and Action. Sociology. doi:10.1177/0038038518773926.
- Blumell, L.E. (2018). Bro, foe, or ally? Measuring ambivalent sexism in political online reporters. Feminist Media Studies. doi:10.1080/14680777.2018.1546211.
- Blumell, L.E., Huemmer, J. and Sternadori, M. (2018). Protecting the Ladies: Benevolent Sexism, Heteronormativity, and Partisanship in Online Discussions of Gender-Neutral Bathrooms. Mass Communication and Society. doi:10.1080/15205436.2018.1547833.
- Blumell, L.E. (2017). She Persisted … and So Did He: Gendered source use during the Trump Access Hollywood scandal. Journalism Studies pp. 1–20. doi:10.1080/1461670X.2017.1360150.
- Blumell, L.E. and Huemmer, J. (2017). Silencing survivors: how news coverage neglects the women accusing Donald Trump of sexual misconduct. Feminist Media Studies, 17(3), pp. 506–509. doi:10.1080/14680777.2017.1304714.
- Hellmueller, L., Mellado, C., Blumell, L. and Huemmer, J. (2016). The contextualization of the watchdog and civic journalistic roles: Reevaluating journalistic role performance in U.S. newspapers. Palabra Clave, 19(4), pp. 1072–1100. doi:10.5294/pacla.2016.19.4.6.
- Rodriguez, N.S., Huemmer, J. and Blumell, L.E. (2016). Mobile masculinities: An investigation of networked masculinities in gay dating apps. Masculinities and Social Change, 5(3), pp. 241–267. doi:10.17583/MCS.2016.2047.
- Blumell, L.E., Qiu, Y. and Peaslee, R.M. (2016). Pacifying the Dragon? The role of expatriate media professionals in the gatekeeping process in China. International Journal of Communication, 10, pp. 2402–2421.
- Rodriguez, N.S. and Blumell, L. (2014). What a year! the framing of marriage equality through media's selected sources in 2013. Journal of Communication Inquiry, 38(4), pp. 341–359. doi:10.1177/0196859914551767.