Experts to discuss impact of business improvement districts at City event
Workshop organised by City economist and BID researcher Dr Giulia Faggio
Experts in the role that business improvement districts (BIDs) play in regenerating town centres will be among the speakers at a City, University of London event.
The full-day workshop – which is called “The BID model: is it working? Lessons from the past, ideas for the future” – will take place on Friday 30th November, from 10am.
The aim of the free, public event is to provide a forum for policy makers, business practitioners and academics across Europe to share their experiences of BIDs. Speakers will include academics and representatives from BIDs in the UK, Spain and Germany.
“The business improvement district model is an urban regeneration policy that targets high streets and town centres,” she said. “Its goal is to regenerate these urban retail areas by reducing pollution and crime, thereby enhancing consumer spending – but there is much more.
“The policy has been implemented in the UK for the last 13 years, but it has not attracted the public attention and received the media coverage that I think it deserves. The workshop will be a first attempt in this direction.”
- Catherine Mitton (née Turness), Executive Director, The BID Foundation and Institute of Place Management
- Phil Prentice, Chief Officer, Scotland’s Towns Partnership
- Simon Pitkeathley, Mayor's Champion for Small Business on the LEAP (London Enterprise Action Partnership), Chief Executive of Camden Town Unlimited, Chief Executive of Euston Town and Camden Collective, Chair of the BIDs advisory group for Greater London Authority
- Professor Kevin Ward, Professor in Human Geography at The University of Manchester; Director of the Manchester Urban Institute
- Dr Ian Cook, Senior Lecturer in Social Sciences, Northumbria University
- Adrian Waddell, Chief Executive, Newcastle NE1 Limited, BID Company
- Stephen Patterson, Director of Communications, Newcastle NE1 Limited, BID Company
- Alvaro Costela-Sanchez, Marketing Manager, Liverpool BID
- Sebastian Binger, Project Manager, Hamburg BID
- Dr Helena Villarejo Galende, Associate Professor in Pubic Law, University of Valladolid
- Dr Maria Luisa Esteve-Pardo, Associated Professor in Tax Law and Public Finance, University of Girona