Empowering underrepresented learners to access and succeed in higher education.
City’s WP Outreach Team runs a wide range of programmes aimed at developing learners who are well informed, have realistic expectations about higher education, understand how to achieve their goals and have the grades, confidence and resilience to succeed.
Our dedicated and committed staff will work with you to deliver a programme of exciting, engaging and creative activities to meet the needs of your students.
Who do we work with?
City Outreach activities are targeted to reach those who will most benefit, and where we can have the greatest impact. Focusing on our London location we work in schools with a high proportion of leaners from deprived backgrounds and with lower than expected rates of progression into higher education. Students who participate in our activities need to meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Learners on free school meals/ Pupil premium students
- First generation into higher education
- Those with disabilities, learning differences and mental health issues
- Care experienced young people
- Those estranged from their families
- Young carers
- Mature students
What we do?
- Maths and English tutoring for primary, secondary and post-16 pupils
- Maths GCSE revision days
- City Campus visits
- Subject insight days for primary schools (Spotlight days) and 6th formers/college students (Masterclasses)
- University Taster weeks including Business, Health, STEM, Psychology and Law
- One to one careers guidance interview
- Information, advice and guidance workshops including programmes aimed at mature learners
- Mentoring for sixth former and college students
- Snapshot higher education transition week for BTEC students
- Start@City pre-induction programme for targeted WP UG students
You can find out more information about our programmes in the brochures below:
Comments from Young People
I always wanted to go to uni, but was unsure what to expect. Now I am more willing to go.
It helped me to realise that Maths is not really that hard.
It was really good and informative. If anything it made me more excited about going to university.
City, University of London delivers a wide range of widening participation outreach activities with young people from local schools and colleges. Our programmes aim to empower underrepresented learners to access and succeed in higher education and are part of City’s vision to ensure our students gain the most from our investment in their success. We are committed to providing sustained and personalised support empowering individual success from primary education right through to entry into business and the professions.
Why do we collect data? We collect information on everyone who takes part in our activities and we use this data to help:
- Ensure we are reaching the right learners
- Plan future activities
- To evaluate the impact of our programmes both in the short term and longer term
- City’s commitment to widening access is laid out in our Access and Participation Plan which is overseen by the Office for Students, previously this was the Access Agreement and the Office of Fair Access.
- Full name*
- Date of birth*
- Contact details for parents/carers/young people*
- School or college attended
- Disability* and access information
- Looked after young people/care leavers*
- 1st Generation to attend HEI*
- Free school meal/pupil premium data*
- Evaluation data
- Current course of study
- School/college attended
- Predicted and achieved attainment data (only for specific tutored subjects)
Data is collected from a number of sources depending on the nature of the activity or programme, methods of collection are:
- Direct from schools or colleges or colleges (group visits, school events, tutoring)
- Application forms direct from participants (aged 13 years and over)
- Direct from parents through application or monitoring forms
- Direct from participants on evaluation forms (aged 13 years and over)
What do we do with the data we collect and how to we store it securely? For the duration of the programme information on participants is stored in password protected Excel spreadsheets accessible only by WP Outreach team members, the information is used to:
- Recruit and select learners for events
- Assess learners eligibility to attend WP Outreach events (in-line with WP targeting criteria)
- Communicate with learners about the events, times, location etc.
- At the end of each academic year all spreadsheets are deleted.
Any questions regarding the data we hold on you can be directed to email@example.com or by calling the WP Outreach Team on 020 7040 4242. You have the right to access a copy of the data held on you by us and you also have the right to object to your data being retained. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your request or call 020 7040 4242 to discuss in more detail. You can also contact City’s Data Protection Officer directly at email@example.com.