Green City Week (21-25 October 2013)
City will be celebrating its fifth annual Green City Week from 21 to 25 October. A variety of events and activities will be held, all aimed at encouraging students and staff to get involved and learn more about the environmental initiatives happening here at City, while highlighting the importance of living a sustainable life.
Activities during the week will include:
- Informational stalls: Daily from 11:00-15:00 (University Building, Level 1 main walkway)
- Waste sculpture: Daily in the Northampton Square main reception area. Michelle Reader, a local waste artist, will be creating a waste sculpture all week. Stop by to see if you can guess what it is. You could potentially win a £50 Amazon gift card in the process.
Monday 21 October - Greening Education
- Green Dragons - Hear them roar! Kick-starting sustainability for students (18:30-20:00, Oliver Thompson Lecture Theatre). The Students' Union would like to invite students and staff to celebrate the launch of the Green Dragons challenge. Join us for a canapé and wine reception to find out how the challenge hopes to create community builders and leaders of change through student-led sustainability projects. Please RSVP here.
Tuesday 22 October - Sustainable Food and Fairtrade Day
- Garden Tea Party and Fairtrade bake-off (14:00-16:00, City's vegetable garden, Sebastian Street). Celebrate City's own vegetable garden with an afternoon of Fairtrade cakes and discussions focusing on urban food policy, including a Fairtrade bake-off. Professor Tim Lang (Centre for Food Policy) and Seb Mayfield (Capital Growth) will be guest speakers. Open to students, staff and general public. To book a space or to enter the Fairtrade bake-off, please visit here.
Wednesday 23 October - Cycling Day
Cycling activities taking place outside Northampton Square main entrance include:
- Bike doctor: free bike maintenance with Des (9.00-17.00).
- Exchanging Places: sponsored by the Metropolitan Police, come along to sit inside the cabin of a lorry to see for yourself just how little you can see from the driver's seat.
- Bike security marking: Metropolitan Police Cycle Task Force will be on hand to offer safety advice and free security marking.
- Free cycle training: sign up for free one-on-one cycle training with the local council.
'Anything But Clothes' party (20:00, Saddlers Bar) - Celebrate Green City Week and show off your creativity at the Student Union's 'Anything But Clothes' party. Your outfit for the night must be created using reusable materials such as cardboard
Thursday 24 October - Energy and Water Day
- Bike doctor: free bike maintenance with Des (9.00-17.00, Northampton Square).
- Bike maintenance class: bring your bike along from 12:00-13:00 and Des will show you how to service your own bike.
- Thames Water: will be on hand to give water-saving advice and hand out freebies. Stop by the informational stalls in the main walkway, University Building.
Careers in Energy forum (18:00-20:00, Northampton Suite): a panel event aimed at giving our students an insight into the different opportunities available to them post graduation or when looking for internships - to help broaden their scope when applying for jobs. Register for this event.
- 18:00 Speaker from Centrica
- 18:15 Sarah-Jane Hogg & Imogen Harding from Dentons
- 18:30 Speakers from RWE npower
- 18:45 Speaker from Bloomberg
- 19:00 Nick Miles, Co-founder - Commercial Director at TheGreenAge
- 19:15 Speaker TBC
- City Cycle Cinema: Ferris Bueller's Day Off (18:30, Great Hall): Join us for an evening of fun with City's own cinema run by pedal power. Members of the audience will take it in turns to ride the bikes powering the cinema's screen and sound. Popcorn and other refreshments will be available. Open to staff, students, alumni and general public. Book a space here.
Friday 25 October - Waste and Recycling Day
- Waste sculpture display: the waste sculpture will be completed and on display today in the University Building main reception area. Several contests (with prizes!) will be taking place at the display, so be sure to stop by and check it out.
- Swish 'til you drop (15:30-18:30, Saddlers Bar) - City Stitch Society and the Students' Union would like to invite you all to swish 'til you drop. You can drop off your unwanted (but clean and presentable) clothes, footwear and clothing accessories at the Students' Union office on Northampton Square from Monday 21st and come along on Friday to see what you can get. City Stitch stylers will be on hand to give you personal advice and show how you can customise your new finds. Start rummaging!
- Bike doctor: free bike maintenance (9.00-17.00, Cass Business School) and (10.00-14.00, Northampton Square).
Bywaters: City's waste contractor will be on hand with information and advice on what can be recycled at City.
For more information about Green City Week, be sure to follow #GreenCityWeek2013 on Twitter @CityEnvironment.