1. Accommodation
  2. Private accommodation
  3. Contracts and legal
  4. Camden council

London Borough of Camden online Council Tax exemption scheme

Full time students of City, University of London who live within the London Borough of Camden can apply for their Council Tax exemption by visiting the Council's website and applying online. City will be providing the relevant data to the Council on a regular basis in order for them to be able to quickly identify you as being eligible for Council Tax exemption because of your full-time student status, and so you will not need to obtain a letter from City to prove this.

To use the online process please follow these steps:

  1. Make sure you are fully registered as a current student, which will include being in possession of your City ID card
  2. Ensure that City's central record system is holding your Camden address as the "term time" address against your student record. You can update this yourself online.
  3. Wait at least seven working days after fully registering before attempting to use the e-form on Camden Council's website, to allow for data transfers to have been completed between City and the Council
  4. Go to the Camden Council's tax webpage and click on the e-form. Fill in the details requested and submit the e-form.

To complete the form you will need to provide the following information:

  • Your title, first name, last name
  • Your term time address in the Borough of Camden
  • Your email address and contact telephone number
  • Your date of birth and your City student registration number
  • The date that your tenancy began and the date that you actually moved into the property

If the data match is successful the on-screen message will advise that Camden Council recognise you as a full time student. If the data match is not successful then you will need to contact the Student Centre to check that the details that City holds for you, are the same as those that you are trying to input to Camden Council's e-form.

If the property is occupied by multiple students then once all of the other students residing in that property have established themselves with the Council, a letter will be sent to you in the post confirming the exemption.