1. Accommodation
  2. Postgraduate accommodation
  3. Questions & answers

Questions & answers

Listed below are some of the most frequently asked questions and answers about the City’s accommodation. If you have enquiries that are not covered here, contact the Accommodation Team.

About applying for Halls

How can I apply for Halls?

All accommodation applications are handled online. Once you have firmly accepted a place on a full-time course at City you will be sent an automated email with a link which allows you to submit your hall preferences.  

Visit the Apply for Halls page for further information.

Can I see the rooms before applying?

Most students view the rooms via tours arranged on Open Days at City.  A tour may be possible if you ask the Accommodation Team in advance to arrange this for you.

Email the Accommodation Team with the following information:

  • Your full name and UCAS ID.
  • Which Halls you would like to see.
  • What day/approximate time you would like to attend.
  • How many people will be coming on the tour.

Please note that as the Postgraduate halls are on licences of 50 and 51 weeks, it is not always possible to view these halls and the Postgraduate Halls would not be viewed on Open Days.

I have a medical condition or disability which affects my accommodation requirement - what do I do?

There is a section in the application form which you will need to complete regarding this, so that we are aware you may have different requirements.

You will also need to email our Learning Success team with more information about your condition so that a Disability Co-ordinator can look into this.

We will treat with confidentiality any information you provide; however, please confirm if you consent to share the information so that we can discuss your needs with our relevant partners, such as Hall Managers, if necessary.

I am a Care Leaver. Can City offer me any support?

Yes, the City offers a wide range of support to help Care Leavers through their studies and a dedicated Widening Participation Team on hand to help.

Care Leavers can also receive priority for City’s Halls of Residence. However, the Accommodation Team will need to know that you are a Care Leaver in order to prioritise your application.

If you have not indicated this on your application form, please contact the Accommodation Team as soon as possible.

Is there any accommodation for couples or families?

There is no accommodation for couples or families at City - all rooms are for single occupancy only.

The University of London has family housing in International Hall which City students can now apply for. The applications will open in May and it is advised to apply as early as possible via the UOL website.

There are some private housing providers who provide accommodation in London for couples and families. Please be aware that these have not been viewed or formally approved by City, University of London.

About living in Halls

Do you have any advice about moving in?

Yes, we have a moving in guide to give you advice on the moving in process, what to bring with you, and also about settling in once you’ve arrived.

Where can I find out more about living in the Halls?

The currently in halls guide covers topics including flat inspections and cleaning, maintenance, complaints, and so on.

Are there any car parking or bike storage facilities?

All of the halls of residence have designated bicycle storage facilities, which are provided free of charge. There are also secure bike storage facilities and helmet lockers available at the University main campus in Northampton Square. See the Environmental Team’s Green Travel Guide for information on how to access this.

There are no car parking facilities at the University or at any of the halls of residence. You are advised not to bring a car unless it is absolutely necessary. The local authority administers an on-street parking scheme; applications for a permit should be made directly to:

Parking Services,
Islington Council,
222 Upper Street,
N1 1YE.

T: +44 (0)20 7527 1414