- Goold, P. (2021). A Radical Restructuring? A Response to Bell and Parchomovsky, Restructuring Copyright Infringement. Texas Law Review Online, 99, pp. 101–110.
- Goold, P. (2021). The Curious Case of Computer-Generated Works under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. Intellectual Property Quarterly, 2, pp. 119–129.
- Goold, P. (2021). Moral Reflections on Strict Liability in Copyright. Columbia Journal of Law and the Arts, 44(2), pp. 123–156.
- Goold, P. (2020). Artificial Authors: Case Studies of Copyright in Works of Machine Learning. Journal of the Copyright Society of the USA, 67.
- Goold, P. (2020). Patent Accidents: Questioning Strict Liability in Patent Law. Indiana Law Journal, 95(4), pp. 1075–1135.
- Goold, P. (2018). The Lost Tort of Moral Rights Invasion. Akron Law Review, 51(4), pp. 1093–1125.
- Goold, P. (2017). The Interpretive Argument for a Balanced Three-Step Test? American University International Law Review, 33(1), pp. 187–230.
- Goold, P. (2017). Intent in Patent Infringement. Florida Law Review Forum, 68, pp. 93–100.
- Goold, P. (2016). Unbundling the “Tort” of Copyright Infringement. Virginia Law Review, 102(8), pp. 1833–1899.
- Goold, P. and Bracha, O. (2016). Copyright Accidents. Boston University Law Review, 96(3), pp. 1025–1091.
- Goold, P. (2015). Is Copyright Infringement a Strict Liability Tort? Berkeley Technology Law Journal, 30(1), pp. 305–383. doi:10.15779/Z38MP32.
- Goold, P. (2014). Why the U.K. Adaptation Right is Superior to the U.S. Derivative Work Right. Nebraska Law Review, 92, pp. 843–896.
- Goold, P. (2014). Corrective Justice and Copyright Infringement. Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law, 16(2), pp. 251–295.
- Goold, P. (2012). The Evolution of Normative Legal Scholarship: The Case of Copyright Discourse. European Journal of Legal Studies, 5, pp. 23–29.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Goold is a legal philosopher with interests in intellectual property, property law, and private law theory. At The City Law School, Dr Goold is a Co-Director of the LLB Programme, the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Pedagogy and Innovation, and the module leader for LLB Intellectual Property Law.
Dr Goold's research has argued for a reconceptualization of intellectual property as a branch of tort law. His forthcoming monograph on this topic ('IP Accidents') highlights the growing and ignored problem of accidental infringement of IP rights and proposed greater use of negligence liability rules to deal with the problem. His research in this area has been (or will be) published by world-leading publishers, including Cambridge University Press, the Virginia Law Review, and the Berkeley Technology Law Journal.
Dr Goold has received numerous awards for his teaching. He received the City Law School Academic Impact Award for Teaching Excellence in 2019. He received Student Union Academic Impact Awards for Teaching in 2020 and 2021. He was shortlisted for a Pearson Higher Education Innovation Award in 2021 in the category of 'most innovative approach to widening participation in the curriculum'.
Prior to joining City, Dr Goold was a fellow at Harvard Law School's Project on the Foundations of Private Law. He is a contributor to Harvard Law School's New Private Law Blog. He sits on the editorial board of the Journal of the Copyright Society of the USA.
- Attorney at Law, New York State Bar, Jul 2010
- PhD, International Max Planck Research School for Competition and Innovation, Germany
- LLM, Cornell Law School, USA
- LLB, Newcastle University, UK
- Senior Lecturer, The City Law School, Aug 2020 – present
- Lecturer, The City Law School, Sep 2018 – Aug 2020
- Qualcomm Fellow and Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School, Aug 2016 – Aug 2018
- IP Fellow, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Jul 2014 – Jul 2016
- Microsoft Fellow, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Oct 2012 – Jun 2014
Publications by category
- Goold, P. (2023). Intellectual Property Law: Text, Cases, and Critique (forthcoming). Cambridge University Press.
- Goold, P. and Bonadio, E. (Eds.), (2022). The Cambridge Handbook of Investment-Driven Intellectual Property. Cambridge University Press.
- Goold, P. (2021). IP Accidents: Negligence Liability in Intellectual Property. Cambridge University Press.