- Goold, P. (2021). Moral Reflections on Strict Liability in Copyright. Columbia Journal of Law and the Arts, 44(2), pp. 123–156.
- Goold, P. (2020). Artificial Authors: Case Studies of Copyright in Works of Machine Learning. Journal of the Copyright Society of the USA, 67.
- Goold, P. (2020). Patent Accidents: Questioning Strict Liability in Patent Law. Indiana Law Journal, 95(4), pp. 1075–1135.
- Goold, P. (2018). The Lost Tort of Moral Rights Invasion. Akron Law Review, 51(4), pp. 1093–1125.
- Goold, P. (2017). The Interpretive Argument for a Balanced Three-Step Test? American University International Law Review, 33(1), pp. 187–230.
- Goold, P. (2017). Intent in Patent Infringement. Florida Law Review Forum, 68, pp. 93–100.
- Goold, P. (2016). Unbundling the “Tort” of Copyright Infringement. Virginia Law Review, 102(8), pp. 1833–1899.
- Goold, P. and Bracha, O. (2016). Copyright Accidents. Boston University Law Review, 96(3), pp. 1025–1091.
- Goold, P. (2015). Is Copyright Infringement a Strict Liability Tort? Berkeley Technology Law Journal, 30(1), pp. 305–383. doi:10.15779/Z38MP32.
- Goold, P. (2014). Why the U.K. Adaptation Right is Superior to the U.S. Derivative Work Right. Nebraska Law Review, 92, pp. 843–896.
- Goold, P. (2014). Corrective Justice and Copyright Infringement. Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law, 16(2), pp. 251–295.
- Goold, P. (2012). The Evolution of Normative Legal Scholarship: The Case of Copyright Discourse. European Journal of Legal Studies, 5, pp. 23–29.
- Goold, P. The Curious Case of Computer-Generated Works under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. Intellectual Property Quarterly.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Goold is a legal philosopher with interests in intellectual property, property law, and private law theory.
Dr Goold's research has argued for a reconceptualization of intellectual property as a branch of tort law. His forthcoming monograph on this topic ('IP Accidents') highlights the growing and ignored problem of accidental infringement of IP rights and proposed greater use of negligence liability rules to deal with the problem. His research in this area has been (or will be) published by world-leading publishers, including Cambridge University Press, the Virginia Law Review, and the Berkeley Technology Law Journal.
At City, Dr Goold is the Co-Director of the LLB Programme, Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Pedagogy and Innovation, and the module leader for LLB Intellectual Property Law. He received the CLS Academic Impact Award for Teaching Excellence in 2019 and 2020.
Prior to joining City, Dr Goold was a fellow at Harvard Law School's Project on the Foundations of Private Law. He is a regular contributor to Harvard Law School's New Private Law Blog.
- Attorney at Law, New York State Bar, Jul 2010
- PhD, International Max Planck Research School for Competition and Innovation, Germany
- LLM, Cornell Law School, USA
- LLB, Newcastle University, UK
- Lecturer, The City Law School, Sep 2018 – present
- Qualcomm Fellow and Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School, Aug 2016 – Aug 2018
- IP Fellow, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Jul 2014 – Jul 2016
- Microsoft Fellow, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Oct 2012 – Jun 2014
Publications by category
- Goold, P. and Bonadio, E. (Eds.), (2022). The Cambridge Handbook of Non-Creative Intellectual Property. Cambridge University Press.
- Goold, P. (2021). IP Accidents: Accidental Infringement of Intellectual Property and What To Do About It. Cambridge University Press.
Journal articles (13)
- Goold, P. (2021). Moral Reflections on Strict Liability in Copyright. London, UK: City Law School, City, University of London.