9th International Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics 2018
The Organising Committee for ISSMGE TC104 (Physical Modelling in Geotechnics) would like to invite you to London for the 9th International Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics (ICPMG 2018).
The main theme of this conference will be to communicate and disseminate recent developments in all aspects of geotechnical physical modelling hosted at City, University of London.
We will welcome researchers to the diverse and exciting City of London for a four day physical modelling extravaganza. Highlights will include:
- A welcome reception at the historic Skinners’ Hall; home to one of the Great Twelve City of London livery companies
- A gala dinner at Middle Temple Hall; an ancient Inn of Court
- Schofield Lecture and reception
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
Call for Abstracts: January 2017
Abstract submission closed!
Manuscript submission closing date: 1st September 2017
Registration opens: September 2017
The ICPMG2018 programme will be available February 2018.
The main conference venue will be City, University of London which is situated in Northampton Square.
The welcome reception will be held at the historic Skinners’ Hall; home to one of the Great Twelve City of London livery companies. (Images courtesy of www.skinnershall.com).
The gala dinner will be held at Middle Temple Hall; an ancient Inn of Court. (Images courtesy of www.middletemplehall.org.uk).
Accommodation is NOT included in the conference fees
Below is a list of hotels within the vicinity of City, University of London. City, University of London has no association with any of these hotels, prices may change on a daily basis.
Within walking distance of City, University of London:
- easyHotel, London Old Street/Barbican, (budget hotel) 80 Old Street, London, EC1V 9AZ, 0.6 miles, 11 minute walk
- Thistle City Barbican, Central Street, Clerkenwell, London, EC1V 8DS, 0.3 miles; 5 minute walk
- DoubleTree by Hilton London - Islington, 60 Pentonville Road, London, EC1V 8DS,0.6 mile; 13 minutes walk
- Travelodge London Farringdon, 10 - 42 Kings Cross Road, London, WC1X 9LN, 0.6 mile; 11 minutes walk
- Travelodge Kings Cross Royal Scott, 100 Kings Cross Road, London, WC1X 9DT, 0.8 mile; 15 minutes walk
- Travelodge Kings Cross, 356 Grays Inn Road, London, WC1X 8BH, 1 mile;20 minutes walk
- Travelodge London City Road, 7-12 City Road, London, EC1Y 1AE, 1 mile; 20 minutes walk
- Express by Holiday Inn, 275 Old Street, London, EC1V 9LN, 1 mile; 20 minutes walk
Other useful websites to search for alternative accommodation in the UK.www.laterooms.com or www.lastminute.com or www.expedia.co.uk
London, UK, has an average temperature of 18°C in July. July is most likely to be the driest month of the year. For up-to-date weather information please check the Met Office.
The local currency is Pound Sterling, the UK/British Pound £ (GBP).
The current rate of Value Added Tax (purchase tax) in the United Kingdom is 20%. Prices always include VAT (where applicable) in the UK.
Credit Cards / ATMs / Cash Machines
All major credit cards are widely accepted, however, American Express (AMEX) is accepted less widely in the UK.
There are many ATMs in London and Sterling can be withdrawn from these machines by using a credit/debit card (please check if charges apply).
Type G is mainly used in the UK. This type of plug is rated 13 amps and has three rectangular prongs that form a triangle.
Emergency Phone Numbers
Dial 999 for fire, police, ambulance or coastguard services - Emergency calls are free.
English (British) is the national language.
It will be British Summer Time (GMT + 1) during the conference.
It is not common to pay gratuity in restaurants, hotels and taxis. However, 12.5% service charge is the normal rate to add to the bill.
Please make sure that you have valid travel insurance to cover your time in the UK.
The Organisers will not be held liable for illness, accidents or thefts suffered by participants or accompanying persons during the conference or their stay in the UK before or after the conference.
Should delegates need a letter of invitation to obtain an Entry Visa, these will be issued to delegates, upon request, following registration and payment of conference fee. The registration will open in August 2017.
Please note that we cannot enter into correspondence with the UK Authorities on your behalf and any invitation letter does not imply any financial liability on our part.