Careers and Employability
Producing graduates who are highly employable is a central focus of City, University of London.
City leads London in education, research and enterprise for business and the professions and is ranked in the top 10 for graduate starting salaries (The Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey). For many years we have provided employment opportunities for graduating students through our strong links with leading companies in sectors from finance to civil engineering to the media. Through a variety of employability schemes, placements and networking events, we ensure that our graduates enter the workplace ahead of their peers.
We believe it is important for our graduates to develop the intellectual capacity, skills and personal attributes required to move into the graduate position they desire, while also fostering the mindset and attitude necessary to embark on a rewarding lifelong journey in their chosen industry.
The Careers Service is here to support you from your first day. You will be thinking about your career from the moment you start your course and our Careers Consultants and academics work together to help you develop the skills and abilities you will need to stand out. Our Employer Engagement Team works with companies from every sector, bringing them to City to meet with you and help you to identify opportunities for placements, work experience, internships and graduate roles. Our internal temping agency, Unitemps, can help you secure part-time and temporary work while you study, giving you the opportunity to develop the transferable skills that are in demand from employers and the ability to articulate these when you are looking for your graduate position.
Careers support includes:
- Access to CareersHub, your online portal for careers information and resources.
- Daily one-to-one appointments for CV and application review, career guidance and tailored mock interviews.
- Access to hundreds of graduate roles, placements and internships, part-time jobs and volunteering opportunities on and off campus.
- Exposure to a diverse range of employers on campus and industry specific events throughout each term.
City offers a wide variety of opportunities for you to develop the skills you'll need for your career:
- Get work experience with Unitemps. We offer part-time work within City and with employers in the area. We also work with Santander to provide exclusive internship opportunities for City students.
- Work as a Widening Participation Ambassador, helping young people to understand the benefits of attending City and their future careers.
- Take part in our Professional Mentoring Scheme, which matches you with a mentor in industry to help you improve your employability. Professional Mentoring matches 400 students a year with mentors.
- Give back to future students by being a CityBuddy. You can apply to have a buddy for your first year, and then you can be a buddy to future students in your 2nd and 3rd year.
- Get experience and make a difference with our Community Volunteering opportunities. We work with charities in the local area to provide opportunities for you to make an impact on the local community and environment. We can also support you to run your own volunteering project.
- Get involved with City through sports teams, student societies, the Students' Union, and more. Visit our website Experience City to learn about different ways to get involved and develop your skills for your future.
Whether you already know what you want to do, or are open to new ideas as you explore the graduate arena, studying at City, University of London will give you the best possible start in your career.
As well as the dedicated Careers Service, City's Enterprise Education team is here to help you increase your employability and develop your enterprising, entrepreneurial side.
The Enterprise Education team supports the rapidly-growing culture of enterprise and innovation at City by teaching, training and inspiring the next generation of enterprising graduates and global entrepreneurs.
Amongst other activities, the team runs the year-round CitySpark programme, offering mentorship and masterclasses, and the chance to win prizes for your business ideas.