Dr Katrin Hohl
Dr Katrin Hohl joined City University London in 2012 after completing her PhD at the LSE. Her research has two strands. The first revolves around various aspects of criminal justice responses to violence against women, in particular: the processes through which complaints of rape fail to result in a full police investigation, charge, prosecution and conviction; the challenges rape victims with mental health conditions pose to criminal justice, and the use of victim memory as evidence in rape complaints.
The second strand focusses on public trust in the police, police legitimacy, compliance with the law and cooperation with the police and courts. Katrin has collaborated with the London Metropolitan Police on several research projects on the topics of public confidence in policing, police communication and neighbourhood policing.
Katrin is a member of the Centre for Law Justice and Journalism, the Centre for Crime and Justice Research, and the Centre for Memory and the Law.
Katrin is the Principal Investigator on the Police Knowledge Fund (hefce/Home Office) grant entitled Memory evidence in the investigation of rape and serious sexual offences (including child sexual abuse'. Sum awarded: £250,625, September 2015- March 2017.
- Andy Myhill
- Thesis title
- The police response to domestic abuse: An analysis of risk assessment and officer decision-making
- Hohl, K. and Conway, M.A. (14 Sep 2016). Memory as evidence: How normal features of victim memory lead to the attrition of rape complaints. Criminology and Criminal Justice. doi: 10.1177/1748895816668937
- Gaskell, G., Hohl, K. and Gerber, M.M. (15 Mar 2016). Do closed survey questions overestimate public perceptions of food risks?. Journal of Risk Research, 1-15. doi: 10.1080/13669877.2016.1147492
- Ellison, L., Munro, V.E., Hohl, K. and Wallang, P. (01 Jan 2015). Challenging criminal justice? Psychosocial disability and rape victimization. Criminology and Criminal Justice, 15(2), 225-244. doi: 10.1177/1748895814543535
- Hohl, K. and Stanko, E.A. (01 Jan 2015). Complaints of rape and the criminal justice system: Fresh evidence on the attrition problem in England and Wales. European Journal of Criminology, 12(3), 324-341. doi: 10.1177/1477370815571949
- Bradford, B., Hohl, K., Jackson, J. and MacQueen, S. (01 Jan 2015). Obeying the Rules of the Road: Procedural Justice, Social Identity, and Normative Compliance. Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice, 31(2), 171-191. doi: 10.1177/1043986214568833
- Hohl, K., Stanko, B. and Newburn, T. (2013). The Effect of the 2011 London Disorder on Public Opinion of Police and Attitudes Towards Crime, Disorder, and Sentencing. Policing: A Journal of Policy and Practice, 7(1). doi: 10.1093/police/pas055
- Stanko, E., Jackson, J., Bradford, B. and Hohl, K. (2012). A Golden Thread, a Presence Amongst Uniforms, and a Good Deal of Data: Studying Public Confidence in the London Metropolitan Police. Policing & Society, 22(3), 317-331. doi: 10.1080/10439463.2012.671825
- Hohl, K., Bradford, B. and Stanko, E. (2010). Influencing trust and confidence in the Metropolitan Police: results from an experiment testing the effect of leaflet-drops on public opinion. British Journal of Criminology, 50(3), 491-513. doi: 10.1093/bjc/azq005
- Wünsch, D. and Hohl, K. (2009). Evidencing a "good practice model" of police communication: The impact of local policing newsletters on public confidence. Policing: A Journal of Policy and Practice, 3(4), 331-339. doi: 10.1093/police/pap045
- Jackson, J., Bradford, B., Hohl, K. and Farrall, S. (2009). Does the fear of crime erode public confidence in policing?. Policing: A Journal of Policy and Practice, 3(1), 100-111. doi: 10.1093/police/pan079
- Hohl, K. and Gaskell, G. (2008). European public perceptions of food risk: Cross-national and Methodological Comparisons. Risk Analysis: an international journal, 28(2), 311-324. doi: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2008.01021.x
- Jackson, J., Bradford, B., Stanko, B. and Hohl, K. (2013). Just Authority? Trust in the police in England and Wales. Oxon: Routledge. ISBN: 1136254439.
- Jackson, J., Kuha, J., Hough, M., Bradford, B., Hohl, K. and Gerber, M. (2013). Trust and legitimacy across Europe: A FIDUCIA report on comparative public attitudes towards legal authority, FIDUCIA deliverable to the European Commission..
- Hohl, K. (2011). The impact of the mass media on public confidence in the police Retrieved from: [publisher's website]
- Hohl, K. (2009). Beyond the average case: The mean focus fallacy of standard linear regression, and the use of quantile regression for the social sciences Retrieved from: [publisher's website]