Erasmus Mundus Masters: Journalism, Media and Globalisation MA
This is a unique two year Masters course, part of the prestigious Erasmus Mundus programme.
The Mundus Journalism degree explores the practice and performance of journalism and the media in the context of a new environment brought about by globalisation, modernisation, commercialisation and professional developments.
Benefits of the course:
- tuition fees compare very favourably to other Masters courses, with UK/EU students paying €8000 for the two-year course (2014-16 fees). Non-EU students pay €16,000.
- spend your first year at the Danish School of Journalism/Aarhus University, and your final two semesters at City University London.
- learn from leading journalists and academics from two of Europe's top institutions in journalism and media education.
Study with a diverse group of classmates from around the world. In the last three years, students have come from the USA, Brazil, Thailand, China, Malaysia, Norway, Kyrgyzstan, Peru, Canada, Cambodia, Ukraine, Italy, Mexico, Czech Republic, Malta, India, Germany and Azerbaijan.
For full programme details, go to www.mundusjournalism.com
The course aims to admit highly-qualified students from a wide range of countries. Applicants will normally only be admitted if they have an honours degree or the equivalent from an international institution and should have the equivalent of at least three months' journalism work experience (including student journalism).
For further information about the selection process, see the main Erasmus Mundus Global Journalism website.
If your first language is not English, the following qualification is also required:
- IELTS: 7.0 in all categories.
If you have studied for one or more years in, or received a degree from, a college or university in an English-speaking country, you will not need to present an English language test. (This education however must have taken place within two years prior to submission of the course application.)
If you are not from the European Economic Area / Switzerland and you are coming to study in the UK you may need to apply for a visa or entry clearance to come to the UK to study.
The way that you apply may vary depending on the length of your course; there are different rules for:
- Students on courses of more than 6 months
- Students on courses of less than 6 months
- Students on a pre-sessional English Language course
Please note: If you require a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK, you cannot undertake any City University London courses on a part-time basis.
For more information see our main Visa page.
- Start Date:
- September each year
- Two years
The Erasmus Mundus Global Journalism Master's brings together five leading European institutions in journalism and media education, combining the best academic research and teaching from the participating universities.
A broad range of national and international guest lecturers from media and research institutions are brought into the programme.
You will study in two European countries:
- the first year is spent in Denmark
- the second year is spent either at City University London, or at the University of Swansea (Wales), Hamburg University (Germany) or University of Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- some students will participate in a summer school with our international partners: UTS Sydney (Australia), UC Berkeley (USA) and Universidad Catolica in Santiago (Chile) Students have the option to specialise in Multimedia Business Reporting (at City), War and Conflict (at Swansea), Communicating Europe: Media and Politics (at Amsterdam), or Media and Journalism: Comparative and Transcultural Approaches (at Hamburg).
Danish School of Journalism/Aarhus University
- Globalisation: reporting global change
- Globalisation and the transformation of the state
- Globalisation, culture and the roles of the media
- Social science methods for journalists
- Researching journalism
- Analytical journalism
City University London
- Global capitalism: past, present, future
- World of Business Journalism
- World of Financial Journalism
Read the full 2014 programme specification.
Please note that this course is currently under review and may be subject to change.
Teaching and Assessment
The Erasmus Mundus Global Journalism MA brings together five leading European institutions in journalism and media education.
Read the full 2014 programme specification.
Between the first and second years of the programme some students have the opportunity to participate in summer exchanges at our international partners:
- University of California at Berkeley, USA
- University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Chile
The tuition fees are payable in Euros, and are 8,000 Euros for UK/EU students and 16,000 Euros for non-UK/EU students for the full two-year course for 2015-2017.
For up-to-date information about tuition fees, living costs and financial support, visit Postgraduate Fees and Finance.
Please see the main Erasmus Mundus Global Journalism website for information about funding sources.
Alternatively, international students should contact their local British Council office for advice and guidance about scholarships.
Erasmus Mundus Scholarships from 2012
Please note that we will be able to offer 'Erasmus Mundus' stipends for some students entering the programme from 2012. See the main website for more detailed funding information.
Alumni of the course are now working in organisations including:
- Financial Times
- Savivo A/S
- Slovenian Press Agency
- Family Mosaic - Internal Communications Officer
- China Daily - UK correspondent
- Seamless.com - Creative Team
- FBi/Community Broadcasting Association of Australia - Features Executive Producer of All the Best
- Mint (HT Media Ltd) - Staff Writer
- Dow Jones - Credit and Fixed Income Reporter
- Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires - Contributor
- Tazaldoo - CEO
- European Commission - Communication Assistant
- DR Nyheder, Danish Broadcasting Corporation - Journalist
- Danish Association for the Disabled - Media Project Manager
- Dow Jones/The Wall Street Journal - Reporter
- Helsingin Sanomat - Journalist, foreign news desk
- TV 2 Norway - Journalist
- Debtwire, FT Group - CEEMEA reporter
- XInhua News Agency - Editor
- FT China - Freelance Journalist
- Infrastructure Journal - Senior Reporter
- GlobeReporter.org - Founder, Editor-in-Chief
- Reuters - Stringer, Costa Rica
- ICIS - European reporter
- Climate Change Adaptation at UNDP Cambodia - National Communication Officer
- European Union energy policy, Platts - Associate Editor, news
- FT Labs - Labs Developer
- University of Toronto Scarborough - Communications Coordinator
- Fabric Interactive - Copywriter & Writer
- Morgan Stanley - Media Relations
- The Hindu Business Line - Chief News Editor
- The Wall Street Journal - Web Editor
- Bloomberg News- M&A Reporter
- Dow Jones Newswires Ltd. London - Copy Editor
- Wall Street Journal - Contributor
- Bangkok Post, Thailand - Journalist
- Secretariat of the US Network of the United Nations Global Compact - Communications Manager
- The Edge (edgedaily.com), Malaysia's leading financial publication - Writer
- Outlook, Bangkok Post newspaper - Freelance Reporter
- Chulalongkorn University and Thammasat University - Guest Lecturer
- Associated Press, Beijing, China
- Norwegian current affairs magazine, Ny Tid - Journalist
- BBC World Service, London
- Platts - Market Reporter
- International Financing Review (IFR), Thomson Reuters Corporation - Global Debt Capital Markets Reporter
- Hurriyet Daily News & Economic Review, Istanbul - Chief Copy Editor
- Dow Jones Newswires Ltd., London
- Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Vienna, Austria - Editor & Speechwriter
- Renewable energy and climate Change Consultant
- London and Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Research Fellow.
Find out more about City University London
You are required to submit the following:
- Application form
- Letters of recommendation
- Educational background documents
- English proficiency test (where applicable)
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of work as a professional journalist
- Letter of motivation
- Samples of published journalistic products
For full details of how to apply, see the main Erasmus Mundus Global Journalism website.