Study at City
  1. Courses
  2. Applying
  3. Fees and funding
  4. Living in London
  5. Visit us
  6. Student support
  7. International students
  8. Order a prospectus
  1. Visa & immigration
  2. EEA Students
Study at City

EEA Students

Find out more information about the requirements for studying in the UK if you are a national of an EEA country.

EU Referendum

We understand that many students are concerned about the referendum result and the impact this may have on EEA National students. The UK government has not yet released any details on what the effects will be, however it is unlikely there will be any imminent changes to your immigration status (EEA students have a right to study in the UK and do not need any form of visa) or fee status. UKCISA has provided further information on their website. We will update this page with any significant changes once they are announced.

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

The UK government has confirmed that it is a requirement for EEA national students and their family members to obtain Comprehensive Sickness Insurance if they are a full-time student in the UK for longer than three months. There are several ways you can obtain this:

  • A European Health Insurance Card. This must be obtained from your home country and is sufficient evidence of CSI if you will only be in the UK temporarily (for example, to study a course)
  • A form of comprehensive private medical insurance. There are a range of companies that provide this.
  • Showing that you have entitlement to healthcare through insurance obtained in another country (forms S1, S2 and S3)

If you are a dual national but are not ordinarily resident in the EU country of your dual nationality, you are unlikely to be eligible for an EHIC.  In this case, you will need to obtain Comprehensive Sickness Insurance  to cover any healthcare if you plan to enter the UK using your EU/EEA nationality rather than Tier 4.

Although the government has confirmed that currently EEA students would not be refused entry to the UK or asked to leave, it is still important that you comply with this requirement. If you are working in the UK in addition to your studies you should keep evidence of this.

Other issues

UKCISA provides detailed guidance for students from the EEA with regards to their immigration and fee status as well as general tips on living in the UK.

If you have family members staying with you in the UK they may need to obtain immigration permission before travelling if they are not EEA nationals themselves. You can find more guidance here.