Common Purpose Global Leader Experience Abroad: Vietnam
Develop your intercultural and leadership skills through an intensive 4-day development programme, led by Common Purpose, in partnership with City and RMIT Vietnam.
The Experience: 6th - 13th June, 2020*
**Please note that these dates are subject to change**
Develop your intercultural and leadership skills through an intensive 4-day development programme in Hanoi, led by Common Purpose, in partnership with City, University of London and RMIT Vietnam. You will work alongside 100 students from Vietnam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Indonesia to find a ‘solution’ to the global challenge: “How can we ensure our cities are resilient and inclusive”? You will meet with local employers to gain an 'on the ground' understanding of the problems, needs of the region, and guidance on solutions. This will be an incredibly busy but exciting and rewarding week, which will provide you with significant employability and personal development skills.
City is committed to providing a range of global experiences that meet the needs of our student body. This funded Global Leadership Experience aims to support students who would not normally consider participating in other international programmes due to financial or other personal barriers. Please carefully read through the eligibility criteria below and if you have any doubts, email: email@example.com. All queries and information provided are kept confidential.
*Please note it is your responsibility to ensure you do not have any other academic or work commitments during this time period.
This programme will take place at the RMIT Vietnam campus in Hanoi. For a look into the campus, university, and
surrounding areas, click on the link below:
City will cover the following costs of this trip:
- Round-trip Flights
- Food - (You will be provided with a contribution towards your food and local transport)
- Medical Insurance through City
- Visa (if required)
You are responsible for the following costs:
- Any souvenirs/personal items you wish to purchase
- Transport to/from your home and the airport in London
- Vaccinations (please speak with your personal GP to find out what you may need)
**More information on accommodation will follow in March/April, but you will be sharing a room with another student from City
(there will be no mixed-gender rooms).
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a current undergraduate City student, studying in any school within the University
- Must not have previously participated in a semester or year-long Exchange Programme organised through City, including those who have recently applied for the 2020/21 academic year or semester exchange
- Must not previously received funding for any other international experience organised through City (eg. Santander funding, Summer School funding, etc).
- Must not have attended a previous Common Purpose trip abroad
We particularly welcome applications from students who are in their 1st or 2nd year and meet at least one of the below criteria:
- Care Leavers; Young Adult Carers; Young Independent Students (Estranged)
- Students from a low-income background
*If you are interested in participating in an international experience but do not meet the above eligibility criteria, you may be eligible to apply to City's funded Summer School Opportunities.
If selected for this trip, you will be required to:
- Attend a minimum of 3 mandatory meetings prior to departure
- Complete a Pre-Departure Survey, Daily Reflections whilst in Vietnam, and a Post-Trip Survey
- Provide a video, photographic or written 'report' after the experience (guidance will be provided)
- Attend a Focus Group session in September/October 2020
- Complete a Final Survey one-year after the experience, in June 2021.
Application Process & Deadlines
- Complete online application form, via the 'Apply Now' button below* Deadline: 23rd February at 23:59
- Application decisions will be communicated on: 28th February
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview during weeks commencing: 2nd March and 13th March
- Final decisions communicated: 13th March
*If you feel that you are not able to complete a typed application form, please contact us by email to discuss an alternative method.